On average what is your ratio of whole squads to split squads?

Logically, splitting has the potential to improve spotting, and takes bounding to finer resolution.  Contact often begins with casualties.  So, one should be able to minimize casualties.

In the past I only split for scouts out, but I think I will now split in the hot zone; and only use full squads when moving reserves and reinforcements up.

8 hours ago, Artkin said:

Of course not. The C2 range does not get smaller when you split squads. 

True, but each half squad has to be in C2 individually.  So two action squares have to be in C2, rather than just 1 (just 1 of the 2 for the full squad).

Also, If a full squad has a communication device, and you split the squads, only one half squad has that device.

Also, if one of the main benefits of splitting squads is increased spacing, then that will almost certainly lead to less units in C2

Edited by dkchapuis

On 9/6/2022 at 3:59 PM, Artkin said:

They are a lot of fun to use. Bounding or fighting with 3 teams instead of 2 feels much better. 6 man squads are pushing it. Two casualties and you're thinking of heading home. The 4 man BTR fireteams are just a bit too big. The mountain infantry are great

I'd love to keep the Team B on BMPs, the 2 men team with assistant squad leader and RPK-74 gunner.  They can function as the BMP-2's vehicle commander.  

15 minutes ago, Chibot Mk IX said:

I'd love to keep the Team B on BMPs, the 2 men team with assistant squad leader and RPK-74 gunner.  They can function as the BMP-2's vehicle commander.  

The same function can be said for the US Bradley teams. They are supposed to intermix in each other's vehicles since there isnt room for everyone in the platoon. Not exactly what I was looking for, but close:

http://241atl232uqw4cfhbq361wua.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/image0035.jpg

15 hours ago, Vacillator said:

Well I think full squads are designed to be more robust than split unit squad-bits so that checks out.  The trade-off is as you describe.

While true I am not sure that is what the OP's test is showing. How many of you have noticed that if you have a full squad in contact and taking fire if you split it, one team is pinned and the other is not. The actual morale condition and behaviour is tracked by the TacAI on an individual solider basis. The suppression level we see for a squad or a team is some amalgamation of their condition. So, if one team is taking way more fire than the other then the whole squad can show some suppression but not pinned but if you split that squad the team taking more fire can often show as pinned and the other team not.