Is Red Thunder secretly the best CMx2 WW2 game?

Steam is definitely a little slower, and that's why I always play my official Battlefront copies.

You definitely know what's up, I just remember being unable to play with a full MEU in real time mode on one of the H&E maps. My game was pretty locked up. But that map also had a ton of those older trees, so I guess they don't perform as well. I know BFC acknowledged trees and were looking for a solution for them not too long ago.

How about Fortress Italy and then Cold War? Fortress Italy runs so slow in comparison as well

Edited by Artkin

42 minutes ago, Artkin said:

Steam is definitely a little slower, and that's why I always play my official Battlefront copies.

You definitely know what's up, I just remember being unable to play with a full MEU in real time mode on one of the H&E maps. My game was pretty locked up. But that map also had a ton of those older trees, so I guess they don't perform as well. I know BFC acknowledged trees and were looking for a solution for them not too long ago.

Normally I just feel like playing a quick games, so I do smaller battles in realtime mode. My computer is hardware from 2012 already, so I don't have that much CPU and GPU power to spare. If things would be stalling somewhere I should notice. But for the games I play, I don't really notice much of a performance difference between any of the CM games.

I tried some of the games in Linux on the same system. These are run through Wine compatibility layer there. I don't like to play them like that anymore though, because of stalls in game speed. The funny thing is that it is pretty clear that pathfinding or other game logic is causing that. The game stalls there when I issue orders for groups to move. And you may have noticed that when the game can't keep up it starts these annoying redraws of the whole scene.  

Another thing I now remember is that rendering distance for the game is actually dynamically decided by framerate feedback. Meaning that the game cuts down on drawing distance when it measures that framerate is getting low.

Point being: there are many factors at play. GPU power, CPU power, overall 3D polygon count of the scene (influenced by both the 3D models (=game data) and the renderer (=game engine)), framerate feedback for drawing distance, and like I showed with the linux example: some surprising CPU bottlenecks related to game logic calculations. And none of these thing can be logged to the screen in this game, as messages or counters. So it is hard hard to say what is actually going on when things are slower then expected.

• 1 month later...

If someone was new to the CM series this would be up their alley. It would hit a more mainstream audience better I think. 

Someone who is in the know will appreciate all the retexturing. 

The scenarios may be small but just think what it would look like if they were applied to larger maps. 

@NPye I'd love to get my hands on this modpack, if we can figure out a way to send anything nowadays. Maybe we can set up a ftp server. 

Edited by Artkin

On 5/23/2022 at 3:28 PM, Kevin2k said:

Normally I just feel like playing a quick games, so I do smaller battles in realtime mode. My computer is hardware from 2012 already, so I don't have that much CPU and GPU power to spare. If things would be stalling somewhere I should notice. But for the games I play, I don't really notice much of a performance difference between any of the CM games.

I would try loading the larger maps instead of playing scenarios to do benchmarks personally. 

And for cpu I usually just try the same scenario of a few thousand troops sitting on top of each other before/after overclocking 

3 minutes ago, Artkin said:

If someone was new to the CM series this would be up their alley. It would hit a more mainstream audience better I think. 

Someone who is in the know will appreciate all the retexturing. 

The scenarios may be small but just think what it would look like if they were applied to larger maps. 

@NPye I'd love to get my hands on this modpack, if we can figure out a way to send anything nowadays. Maybe we can set up a ftp server. 

Ah, we're on the same wavelength.  Posted about FGM in another thread but I'm not sure if Bootie has limits for huge uploads.

18 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Ah, we're on the same wavelength.  Posted about FGM in another thread but I'm not sure if Bootie has limits for huge uploads.

I wouldn't doubt that he could upload them separately. Storage is so cheap nowadays, theres really no reason to not provide your customers with a ton of space

If you think that isnt big then try telling that to file hosters. I cant think of one place to upload 16gb all at once. (Besides a dedicated CM mod site like Bootie's... and then maybe)

Either way I'd like to get my hands on the pack. Looks great. 

Edited by Artkin

No not an upload limit but Im concerned about bandwidth if 30 folk hit the site and download a 16Gb file at the same time... thats half a terrabyte being forced down the pipes. And the site is aimed at individual mods not massive mod packs.  What exactly is within those files that make so extraordinarily massive?

• 4 weeks later...