Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Road of death or how author of tweet named it "March on Karkiv 2.0"

Video of UKR UAV unit "Hostri kartuzy" ("Peaky blinders") of NAtional Guard special force brigade "Omega"

Edited by Haiduk

23 minutes ago, ArmouredTopHat said:

This seems an odd way to reduce costs. Not sure what the US are thinking with this one. 

“Thinking”… this is the country where the 1/3 pounder didn’t sell because people “thought” it was smaller than the 1/4 pounder

1 hour ago, ArmouredTopHat said:

This seems an odd way to reduce costs. Not sure what the US are thinking with this one. 

Either someone has made a real tech breakthrough, which is not impossible, or someone has found a pet congresscritter to slip something in the budget for there brother in law. Publicly known rail gun tech is not ready for this. I did see something about the Japanese doing a CIWS system with a 40mm rail gun, but 155? And if it works there no reason not to shoot it at land targets...

Edit: I think it is a misleading tweet, the Army is using some combination of a very high energy propellant, and the the emerging ram jet shell technology to boost the PROJECTILE developed for the navy rail gun program. They haven't lost their minds and tried to put an actual rail gun on wheels.

Edited by dan/california

12 minutes ago, dan/california said:

Either someone has made a real tech breakthrough, which is not impossible, or someone has found a pet congresscritter to slip something in the budget for there brother in law. Publicly known rail gun tech is not ready for this. I did see something about the Japanese doing a CIWS system with a 40mm rail gun, but 155? And if it works there no reason not to shoot it at land targets...

Edit: I think it is a misleading tweet, the Army is using some combination of a very high energy propellant, and the the emerging ram jet shell technology to boost the PROJECTILE developed for the navy rail gun program. They haven't lost their minds and tried to put an actual rail gun on wheels.

This would put artillery into rocket ranges. Firing precision shells 100km+.  As to AD…cripes, this thing would side step SEAD for higher altitude denial. 

18 hours ago, ASL Veteran said:

I've absolutely had it with your MAGA mission.  I've warned you and warned you and WARNED you to stop dragging that crap into this thread.  Yet you absolutely refuse to comply, even though nobody here cares one iota about your completely off topic political drivel.

2 week vacation for you.  When you return you should ask yourself one simple question before posting this crap again... "is it worth flushing 24 years of participation on this forum over something everybody has already made up their minds about?"  You should answer that question instead of forcing me to do it for you.

Steve

11 hours ago, Grigb said:

They cannot drop arty precisely on your head if you take down their observer drone. Well, taking down the observer drone reduces the effectiveness of even FPV drones. However, RU is just unable of taking UKR observation drones down, due to sheer stupidity rather than a lack of technology.

This is something I've been thinking about for quite a while, so I'm glad you brought it up.

We have two entirely different types of UAS working in Ukraine.  The first is the tactical drones that must either make physical contact (kamikaze) with their target or hover just above it (bomber).  Various forms of point defenses, including EW, are designed with this type of UAS in mind.

The second are the higher flying, long loitering type dedicated to ISR.  These can be several KMs away while performing their mission or flying so high that they are out of reach of any concept of point defense.  They also provide no warning to the ground forces worth mentioning because they are too high or far to be detected by the naked ear.

Even if somehow there is a layered network of defenses to keep a specific target from being attacked by FPV or bomber UAS, if it doesn't include the ability to disrupt the high flying ISR then, at best, they'll wind up eating an artillery round instead of a tactical UAS attack.

Thankfully, currently there are more practical options for taking down ISR UAS than there are for tactical UAS.  Including direct interception by other UAS.  More work needs to be done here, but there are very viable options to pursue.  At least it appears easier to solve this problem than it is tactical UAS attacks.

Steve

Have we talked about these?

Exclusive: US and Germany foiled Russian plot to assassinate CEO of arms manufacturer sending weapons to Ukraine

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/11/politics/us-germany-foiled-russian-assassination-plot/index.html

This is pretty brazen. I of course expect no response.

Russian Civilian Jet Crashes Near Moscow During Test Flight, Crew Reported Dead

https://united24media.com/latest-news/russian-civilian-jet-crashes-near-moscow-during-test-flight-crew-reported-dead-1197

Seem the lack of spare parts strikes again.

Exclusive: Inside Russia’s Latvian Sabotage Squad

https://theins.press/en/politics/272989

This one is pretty interesting long-form article.

1 hour ago, dan/california said:

Yeah, that makes much more sense, because the only place where railguns had good track record was in The Expanse.

I'm curious if it's worth doing, because if the projectile and propellant is super special, it might be more expensive GMLRS rocket. But I guess we'll see once they make it.

6 minutes ago, Letter from Prague said:

Have we talked about these?

Exclusive: US and Germany foiled Russian plot to assassinate CEO of arms manufacturer sending weapons to Ukraine

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/11/politics/us-germany-foiled-russian-assassination-plot/index.html

This is pretty brazen. I of course expect no response.

Russian Civilian Jet Crashes Near Moscow During Test Flight, Crew Reported Dead

https://united24media.com/latest-news/russian-civilian-jet-crashes-near-moscow-during-test-flight-crew-reported-dead-1197

Seem the lack of spare parts strikes again.

Exclusive: Inside Russia’s Latvian Sabotage Squad

https://theins.press/en/politics/272989

This one is pretty interesting long-form article.

Only one of the three had been brought up, and all of them are quite interesting.

23 hours ago, Letter from Prague said:

I mean realistically, Russia and Ukraine are both unlikely to collapse this year, so the war is going to be decided by who wins the next US elections. We have nigh certainty of how that's going to go, and my heart breaks for Ukraine (and Taiwan) but discussing it here again again is not really worth it.

The discussion of how tank is dead is at least interesting, even if somewhat circular.

I mean I think folks  assume the worst in the next US elections just because . But as  single minuscule counter example . I got myself Naturalized this year finally after living and working in the US for the last 20 years ... and I have absolutely no intention of voting for the Republican Candidate .

4 minutes ago, keas66 said:

I mean I think folks  assume the worst in the next US elections just because . But as  single minuscule counter example . I got myself Naturalized this year finally after living and working in the US for the last 20 years ... and I have absolutely no intention of voting for the Republican Candidate .

Congrats on your citizenship!  3 of my 4 grandparents came over from germany last century (grandfather fought on russian front for the germans WW1).  We are all descendants of immigrants in this land (native americans excepted, since ancestors coming here thousands of years ago is a different level)

5 hours ago, Haiduk said:

Road of death or how author of tweet named it "March on Karkiv 2.0"

Video of UKR UAV unit "Hostri kartuzy" ("Peaky blinders") of NAtional Guard special force brigade "Omega"

What is interesting about this one is lack of shell craters.  I can see a few but no where near enough to explain the line of scrap metal.

39 minutes ago, Letter from Prague said:

Yeah, that makes much more sense, because the only place where railguns had good track record was in The Expanse.

I'm curious if it's worth doing, because if the projectile and propellant is super special, it might be more expensive GMLRS rocket. But I guess we'll see once they make it.

Despite my proclivities for tanks and armoured vehicles, I always figured railguns were never going to be viable on a tank platform unless we have a revolution in energy generation or storage. Far more likely to to see ETC if we do see a radical change when it comes to gun technology on vehicles (It has applications for artillery as much as it does direct fire)

Shoutout to the Expanse though, they did railguns justice. 

25 minutes ago, MikeyD said:

I think of the problem Stryker Defender is apparently having with heat dissipation from the big batteries used to power its lasers. I'd imagine a railgun would have 10x those problems.

Oh the problems with railguns are lengthy enough to write books on. Its simply not worth all the fuss for what is a pretty pointless increase in velocity / range for most applications. They had trouble enough testing them and were still figuring out how to even fit them in ships. Coilguns might see more practical use eventually but the same issues of energy requirement spring to mind. 

32 minutes ago, ArmouredTopHat said:

Good to see there is at least awareness of the FPV threat starting to be reflected in training regimes 

Also noticed the usage of gas masks (unless that is standard issue during training due to the fumes from training rounds or whatever).

Ukrainian complaints about Russian use of gas irritants have not stopped. Some UAF units have to wear masks for hours each day.

So, a good training scenario: trench cleaning under continuous drone observation and FPV attacks, with chemical warfare added in the mix. And OPFOR with red armbands.

An interesting one:

There are obviously things going wrong for the defence here but I'm really impressed by the total lack of respect for basic physics. Assuming the drone can be jammed and that the jammer works, momentum is going to finish the job when engaging this close to the target.

1 hour ago, Hapless said:

An interesting one:

There are obviously things going wrong for the defence here but I'm really impressed by the total lack of respect for basic physics. Assuming the drone can be jammed and that the jammer works, momentum is going to finish the job when engaging this close to the target.

Ouch.  Gus the security guard with the jammer stick did not end well.

6 minutes ago, ArmouredTopHat said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cljy6yz1j6gt

Someone just tried to kill Trump at one of his rallies.

This is the sort of thing that can win an election. 

Also conclusively proves the only people with the time to do this sort of thing are idiots. A gun in this day and age?

EDIT: I’m willing to make a bet that a head of state will be killed by kamikaze drone within 3 years.

Edited by kimbosbread