How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

2 hours ago, billbindc said:

Where could I find that plan or a good description of it? It would help with some of the people I deal with.

If i were you i wouldn't waste energy on this types of peoples. I'm talking from experience. The best you can get is that they will be silent around you until some set back happen with the Ukrainians, than they will start again. If somebody is believing in something you cannot persuaded them with facts, it does not matter if its religion or ideology. Whats even worst is that they gonna dislike you because of cognitive dissonance. Even if you are right and prove it they will have negative feelings towards you and you still can't change their views. So unless you want them to dislike you, i would avoid the subject.

This A-50 shoot down is interesting.  Too far into Russian airspace to think that a Russia asset shot it down (though it is possible), too far away to be Patriot or any other Ukrainian system based on Ukrainian soil.  That leaves three possibilities:

1.  A Ukrainian aircraft got through enough of the air defense system to fire at least 2x AA missiles

2.  Ukrainian special forces got close enough by boat to use an otherwise non-portable AA system

3.  The plane was flying low enough to be hit by MANPAD and a special forces group positioned themselves along an established flight path

I'm going with boat and significant ground based AA system as my first guess.

Steve

12 minutes ago, Grigb said:

It was hit in RU, Krasnodar kray

Gv4P08.jpg

Another huge UKR SOF success. Or the Ukrainians have a new drone that can carry AAMs. It seems clear the attacks on Russian AEW and airborne command and control systems are designed to give the F-16s more freedom to operate when they arrive. It might also really improve the success rate of UKR long range drone strikes.

Edited by dan/california

2 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

This A-50 shoot down is interesting.  Too far into Russian airspace to think that a Russia asset shot it down (though it is possible), too far away to be Patriot or any other Ukrainian system based on Ukrainian soil.  That leaves three possibilities:

1.  A Ukrainian aircraft got through enough of the air defense system to fire at least 2x AA missiles

2.  Ukrainian special forces got close enough by boat to use an otherwise non-portable AA system

3.  The plane was flying low enough to be hit by MANPAD and a special forces group positioned themselves along an established flight path

Steve

might be able to believe number 1 was possible if this wasn’t a literal AWACS that got shot down - it was the air defence system!

I’m going with number 3.  The people videoing it comment on how low the aircraft is flying and modern MANPADS can reach pretty high up in any case.

Doing a quick search there appears to be a Russian air base about 20-30 miles (20-50km) away. I'm not that familiar with aircraft but the airfield does point towards Kanveskaya.

Getting into Tom Clancy territory but the plane regularly makes an approach to land along the same route. A Ukrainian team places themselves along that route with some sort of AA system.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/46°03'33.2"N+38°13'50.5"E/@46.0595425,38.2250318,2082m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m4!3m3!8m2!3d46.059209!4d38.230697?entry=ttu

edit: there are a few other airbases that are farther away. But that could explain the low height. Aircraft preparing to land and routinely lands at the same airport and roughly the same time. If you know the specs of the plane along with this information you could identify points along the route where an ambush would be feasible.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/44°57'42.1"N+37°59'50.6"E/@44.9704883,37.9776557,15043m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m7!1m2!2m1!1sairfield!3m3!8m2!3d44.961681!4d37.997397?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/place/44°57'42.1"N+37°59'50.6"E/@44.9704883,37.9776557,15043m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m7!1m2!2m1!1sairfield!3m3!8m2!3d44.961681!4d37.997397?entry=ttu

Edited by Twisk

19 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

That's not going to happen unless Putin is deposed and someone smarter takes the throne.

And when "smarter one takes the throne" then happens what? The worst deed of idea-crazy European / Americat leftist politicians is to instill the the understanding that "whoever takes the throne in Russia" will inherit the "****ed up throne". Yet if he/she shows even a glimplse of being accomodating then the cheque will grow up times more just because he/she may look like even considering accepting the check.

51 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

That's not going to happen unless Putin is deposed and someone smarter takes the throne.

Delete please. A mispost of the verbatim previous post :(

Edited by IMHO

41 minutes ago, Tux said:

The plane was flying low enough to be hit by MANPAD and a special forces group positioned themselves along an established flight path

43 minutes ago, Tux said:

I’m going with number 3.

Yeah, that's logical 🫢 You put up in the skies at a 100x-200x cost a radar that is is every respect worse than a land based radar elevated at a mast.

59 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

Steve

That would explain the flares. And that video seemed fairly low level.

Edited by The_Capt

20 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

That would explain the flares. And that video seemed fairly low level.

AFAIK Il-22 survived. 

20 minutes ago, The_Capt said:

This A-50 shoot down is interesting.  Too far into Russian airspace to think that a Russia asset shot it down (though it is possible), too far away to be Patriot or any other Ukrainian system based on Ukrainian soil.  That leaves three possibilities

Are you joking? 140km for PAC-2 is not impossible? And Ukrainians are really allowed to put their best into creativity unlike Russian MoD.

Edited by IMHO

1 hour ago, omae2 said:

If i were you i wouldn't waste energy on this types of peoples. I'm talking from experience. The best you can get is that they will be silent around you until some set back happen with the Ukrainians, than they will start again. If somebody is believing in something you cannot persuaded them with facts, it does not matter if its religion or ideology. Whats even worst is that they gonna dislike you because of cognitive dissonance. Even if you are right and prove it they will have negative feelings towards you and you still can't change their views. So unless you want them to dislike you, i would avoid the subject.

These are political, not personal conversations. 

Wait, I think there might be confusion of which plane where. There's reports of both A-50 and a transport plane. For example, liveuamap places the A-50 near the front and the transport deep in Russia.

Is it one plane or two?

It's possible Ukrainian air defense shot down the A-50 neaby and something else happened with the transport plane.

Edited by Letter from Prague

Flares are against MANPADS / SR IR AAMs and no one flies AWACS so close. Really, for a radar thant covers hundreds of kilometers to fly is it expose a 300-700M MUSD platform to danger in return to like 1-2% of its detection distance?

2 minutes ago, Letter from Prague said:

Wait, I think there might be confusion of which plane where. There's reports of both A-50 and a transport plane. For example, liveuamap places the A-50 near the front and the transport deep in Russia.

Is it one plane or two?

It's possible Ukrainian air defense shot down the A-50 neaby and something else happened with the transport plane.

I diont think its a transport plane, but a Ilyushin Il-22M “Coot”. That and the A50 often operate in tandem, AIUI. Like with the last A50 shoot down. 

So here the A50 is hit at relatively low level and makes splody hugs with the ground, while the IL-22M is also struck but lands, sadly..

14 minutes ago, IMHO said:

Flares are against MANPADS / SR IR AAMs and no one flies AWACS so close. Really, for a radar thant covers hundreds of kilometers to fly is it expose a 300-700M MUSD platform to danger in return to like 1-2% of its detection distance?

Airborne radar gives a much more different view of the ground and airspace, no? I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison of radar range...

3 hours ago, Kinophile said:

A50 strike video with eng translate/

Looks like it fired off all its flares, 1, maybe 2 missiles were deceived but the rest of the salvo kept going.

18 minutes ago, IMHO said:

I'm sorry. What booly flares? 

I do not think we are talking about the same incident.  The video above reports to show a low level A-50 being shot down.  It fires off a string of flares, which are not normally a counter for long range radar guided systems.  Hence Steve's MANPAD theory - which would make some sense given the video.

16 minutes ago, IMHO said:

Unless it was landing or on approach...exactly where I would put SOF teams with MANPADs.