How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Russians turture, beat up and humilitate own soldiers, who used "salts" or "spice" (very popular and relatively cheap synthetic drugs) and because of this something happened and some soldiers of their company were killed in action (as I can understand, they after drugs usage either abandoned position in panic attack or just were unable to do anything so commpany executed own task with reduced staff). While two guys are beaten up, other dig a blindage as punishing. Operator asks who brought drugs on position and after some time a guy ander beating pointed out on other guy with callsign "Godzilla" in the pit. 

If they do this with own personnel, you can just imagine, how they can care with POWs. 

Edited by Haiduk

It's hard to see how the Russian war will not involve Germany to a much greater extend and increasingly the EU as an existential threat to Europe and its civilisation, the foundation of boundaries etc. Putin has kicked off a war that will have lasting and long repercussions,  all not positive to Russia

4 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

But theyre 2nd even in that,  thanks to the Belarus Army and their Special Prancing Spetsnaz! 

You forget where Belarus (and other ex-Soviet states) learned this wonderful stuff.  Mother Russia :)

The only reason we've not seen such demonstrations from Russian VDV/Spetsnaz forces lately is because they're all dead or in the process of being killed.  The recruits aren't given enough time to learn these valuable skills.

Steve

20 minutes ago, Battlefront.com said:

You forget where Belarus (and other ex-Soviet states) learned this wonderful stuff.  Mother Russia :)

The only reason we've not seen such demonstrations from Russian VDV/Spetsnaz forces lately is because they're all dead or in the process of being killed.  The recruits aren't given enough time to learn these valuable skills.

Steve

Speaking of, does anyone know what ever happened to the dude in the famous VDV song? Did he die gloriously in the SMO? /s

An interesting video from our famous sapper (unfortunately without translation). In this video, he reviews the new Russian POM-3 mine with a step sensor. The Russians claimed that the sensor of this mine has no analogues and there is no way to deceive it. However, in this video, the sapper criticizes the low quality, primitiveness and lack of thought of both the mine in general and its sensor in particular

Starting from video 56:28 The sapper conducts an interesting experiment testing the sensitivity of the seismic sensor of the mine (the mine itself is neutralized). First, he slowly approaches the mine with smooth steps, smoothly transferring his body weight from the heel to the entire foot. He approached the mine to within 1.5 meters without any problems. However, the sensor did not react at all.

Then, starting at 1:01:00, He decides to walk away from the mine at a free pace. The sensor again does not react in any way to his steps. Then he approaches the mine at his usual pace, again without results. Then at 1:01:20 he makes several jumps in place. And only after the third jump, the mine fuse goes off.

He notes that the fuse could be tuned to the footsteps of a person carrying a load, while he himself was not carrying any load. He had another such mine and decided to test the mine sensor with a load on him. However, the second mine turned out to be defective; its sensor did not work at all

43 minutes ago, Kinophile said:

Speaking of Russian shills on both sides of the pond:

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/14/world/europe/ukraine-biden-giuliani-trump.html

Yeah, to anybody with a good nose this had the stench of a Russian disinformation op right from the start.  But hey, American officials who claim Ukraine is corrupt and shouldn't be trusted, except for the corrupt officials that they tell us to trust, aren't themselves to be trusted :)

Steve

6 hours ago, Carolus said:

German parliament contains a small but adamant libertarian faction aka "no spending - no taxes - yes I need 23 secretaries who are all the sons and daughters of my best friends from school and the taxpayer needs to finance them"

Yeah, but those guys are in the send-more-guns camp (thanks Agnes!). At least one thing they do well.

3 hours ago, Grossman said:

It's hard to see how the Russian war will not involve Germany to a much greater extend and increasingly the EU as an existential threat to Europe and its civilisation, the foundation of boundaries etc. Putin has kicked off a war that will have lasting and long repercussions,  all not positive to Russia

I don't think that this war is an existential threat to Europe - at least not as long as Ukraine is not going to lose. We (in Europe) are all in debt to Ukraine, and we know it.

2 hours ago, Harmon Rabb said:

Unfortunately, this is not some unknown weirdo on Russia's payroll. He was (!) a respectable journalist who wrote books, made documentaries and often showed up on TV to 'explain' Putin. Really a shame that he could work undetected for so long.

Interview with a civilian volunteer who builds/organises/flies drones.  Autotranslate does an OK job but there's one word "RETRIK"? that I'ld like to understand.  I think a lot of context is lost on me - how many like him are there?  How many volunteer groups supply the front with FPVs.  He shares some very frank opinions about government/military procurement.

Little story (and I know sample size 1 is not very representative):

I have a Russian colleague who started working at our local branch when we closed our Moscow office. He got sick and spent the last three weeks at home in Moscow with his family. Now he's back, and I asked him what people in Moscow really think about the war.
He told me it is of not much concern to anyone. It is just something that happens and does not affect the everyday live very much. He is not happy with the situation, but I guess he thinks about this like bad weather: you don't like it, but you can't do anything.

My impression from this small interview is, that I better not set my hopes on a revolution from the masses. :(

37 minutes ago, poesel said:

He told me it is of not much concern to anyone. It is just something that happens and does not affect the everyday live very much. He is not happy with the situation, but I guess he thinks about this like bad weather: you don't like it, but you can't do anything.

That sounds a lot like the way Iraq and Afghanistan were cognitively handled by the general population. Unpleasant, but eh. It's 'over there', so whatevs.

7 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Aftermath of Russian attack somewhere on Kupiansk direction

I know it's anecdotal, but I feel like I've seen more piles of Russian dead next to vehicles in the past month than the entire war combined.  My assumptions are that this reflects a) Russia mechanizing Storm-Z units and b) Ukraine getting even better at hitting the vehicles while loaded or just after unloading.

I also suspect that some of these videos show Russian dead having been dragged to a collection point rather than they all got hit in the same spot at exactly the same time.  The above video seems to be one like that.  Notice most of the bodies are orientated in a similar way, which would be consistent with teams dragging bodies.

7 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

R18 night bomber detsroys Russian TOR-M1 AD system, reportedly on Zaporizhzhia front

This video suggests that Ukrainian drone operators really, really, really wanted to make sure the TOR was destroyed.  Really, really destroyed.

Steve

5 minutes ago, JonS said:

That sounds a lot like the way Iraq and Afghanistan were cognitively handled by the general population. Unpleasant, but eh. It's 'over there', so whatevs.

For sure, though for most of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan there was a minuscule % of the country's population in harms way at any given time and, at least for the last phases of each, very low casualty counts on top of that.  The wars weren't existential either.  If the US had suffered 13x as many casualties in Afghanistan in 1/10th the amount of time there would not be a complacent attitude to say the least. 

Russia's tolerance level for losses is, as we have discussed endlessly here, unfathomable to us in the West.

Steve