How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

Another Ukrainian train being hit (albeit not very precisely) - I think it is 3rd this month.

There are analysis here on the milnet for last 2-3 months, indicating that Russians did significantly improved their targeting and are slowly gaining upper hand over Ukrainian AA structures, which suffers from dwindling stocks of old missiles. Thus we see muscovite surveillance drones running deeper into UA territory.

4 minutes ago, Harmon Rabb said:

Slovakia elections: Liberals win against pro-Moscow party - exit polls

Does not look like Robert Fico is going to win in Slovakia. But the election was too tight for my liking. Last thing the European Union needs is a second Viktor Orban type, especially during this war.

This still the best news of the day, every single poll was screaming that The pro Putin party had it in the bag. 

1 minute ago, dan/california said:

This still the best news of the day, every single poll was screaming that The pro Putin party had it in the bag. 

Yeah, due to some of the news from the political front on our side of the pond, I wanted to post something positive.

In other news from central Europe. Personally I'm a big fan of CZ firearms. 🙂

Andrew Desiderio: 🚨Schumer just put the House-passed Ukraine security assistance bill on the Senate’s calendar (Rule 14). This is the $300M that was stripped from House’s defense spending billWe reported tonight that this is the possible vehicle for a big Ukraine supp t.co/2ODtK…

This seems to be the actual vehicle to move Ukraine funding, we shall see.

3 hours ago, Harmon Rabb said:

Slovakia elections: Liberals win against pro-Moscow party - exit polls

Does not look like Robert Fico is going to win in Slovakia. But the election was too tight for my liking. Last thing the European Union needs is a second Viktor Orban type, especially during this war.

Slovakia elections: Populist party leads as most votes counted (BBC)

Very disappointing if true. Alright I think I'm going to get some sleep. Maybe we will get a clearer picture of all of this later.

Edited by Harmon Rabb

45 minutes ago, dan/california said:

This seems to be the actual vehicle to move Ukraine funding, we shall see.

Looks like it. It was sent to the Senate before the stopgap bill today, but the Senate opted to handle the stopgap bill first.

https://www.defensenews.com/congress/2023/10/01/congress-avoids-government-shutdown-drops-ukraine-aid/

House Republican leaders had to strip a separate $300 million in Ukraine Security Assistance Initiative funding from the defense spending bill on Thursday in order to pass that legislation largely along party lines. The House then voted 311-117 to send that $300 million in Ukraine funding separately to the Senate.

Looks like 

Fortunately countries like Slovakia basically don’t matter in the grand scheme of things. They are the equivalent of a whelk in a supernova. Unfortunately countries that matter, such as mine (USA), feel the need to show that they are the best at everything, including being stupid.

Sidenote: The word “mensa” in Spanish means stupid, which is a source of continuing amusement to Spanish speakers who are aware of the middling-high IQ society.

Seems Russia's political manipulation and propaganda is finally paying off for them. Serbia stirring **** on Kosovo borders, US cutting support thanks to Republicans, now Slovakia. All designed to remove Ukraine's support and all great successes.

edit: this of course goes back to the whole Western strategy of trickling support, not helping too much and thus giving Russia both ample time to dig in physically, and work the infosphere.

Edited by Letter from Prague

...and armor that will protect it against small arms and shrapnel.

This is what's been missing in UGVs that I've seen to date. Sure, they're smallish unmanned vehicles but their internals are still as vulnerable to  incoming fire as any riding lawnmower. You need some protection so they survive longer that 10 minutes.

1 hour ago, Letter from Prague said:

Seems Russia's political manipulation and propaganda is finally paying off for them. Serbia stirring **** on Kosovo borders, US cutting support thanks to Republicans, now Slovakia. All designed to remove Ukraine's support and all great successes.

edit: this of course goes back to the whole Western strategy of trickling support, not helping too much and thus giving Russia both ample time to dig in physically, and work the infosphere.

I think you are giving Russia way too much credit here. Sure, Russia wants us to believe they have a hand in everything. But in reality people are quite capable of doing stupid things or things that are in Russia's interest without being paid by Putin or swayed by propaganda. And then, of course, people just do things that are in their own self-interest that just happen to align with Russia's interest. IMHO, ascribing everything to Russian manipulation makes them bigger than they are (which is also in Russia's interest) and prevents analysing the what the real motives are.

10 hours ago, Harmon Rabb said:

Yeah, due to some of the news from the political front on our side of the pond, I wanted to post something positive.

In other news from central Europe. Personally I'm a big fan of CZ firearms. 🙂

I afraid a quality of UKR license can be much worse than original - alas, for many our defense sector enterprises "quality" is unknown word. I recall KM-7.62 a PKM clone, soldiers were angry on this sh...t, only Bulgarian PKMs changed situation. Though, on other hand UKR "Maliuk" bullpup, based on AK got good feedback from SOF and recons 

Edited by Haiduk

12 hours ago, Beleg85 said:

Another Ukrainian train being hit (albeit not very precisely) - I think it is 3rd this month.

There are analysis here on the milnet for last 2-3 months, indicating that Russians did significantly improved their targeting and are slowly gaining upper hand over Ukrainian AA structures, which suffers from dwindling stocks of old missiles. Thus we see muscovite surveillance drones running deeper into UA territory.

This is yesterday strike on Zaporizhzia city eastern outskirts

Edited by Haiduk