How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 hour ago, Beleg85 said:
Latest toll in Dnipro  is 5 killed, 39 wounded including 7 children, 3-year old being youngest.

So yeah, one week to Rammstein and Moskals are still throwing missiles at civilians like crazy.

well Russia is certainly helping those who want to give more.  It is almost like Russia thinks its own foot is the enemy the way it keeps shooting at it.

Ramstein in 6 days.  Will be curious how much the taps are opened.

Edited by sburke

Dnipro, aftermath of Kh-22 hit 9-storey house. Estimated number of settlers 100-200 for 70 flats in ruined block. Among them about 50 kids and teens.

On the video you can here terrible shouts of peoples under ruins

image.thumb.png.3dbcb262ae8e7b4f1eda092e63d8a7c6.png

image.thumb.png.f5e385017c3bfc145850fa8967064df3.png

Now already 5 dead, 60 wounded. Unknown number still under ruins. 

Total 38 cruise and air-surface  missiles were launched, 25 were shot down:

Kh-101/555/Kalibr - 23 (18 shot down)

Kh-22/32 -5 (0)

Kh-59 - 10 (7)

Additionally in first wave were used 6-8 long-range S-300/S-400 missiles for strike on Kyiv, Kyiv and Chernihiv oblasts. No casualties, but about three dozens of cottages were slightly damaged.

In result of attack two largest thermal power plants were hit in Ladyzhyn (Vinnytsia oblast) and Burshtyn (L'viv oblast). Latter reportedly halted. These plants are already being struck not the first time. Also some substations were hit in Kyiv oblast. 

Kharkiv likely was attacked with S-300 too in second wave and partially without electricity.

Railway power infrastructure was under attack in Kryvyi Rih in third wave, when mostly Kh-59 were launched from Su-35. Four missiles were intercepted, one hit power infrastructure area, damaging more private cottages. One civilian dead, one wounded.

Edited by Haiduk

19 minutes ago, Butschi said:

And good riddance. Though whether she was fired (I've read nothing in that direction) or steps down because she just no longer wants to do the job (she never wanted it in the first place) is anyone's guess.

Her successor will likely be more competent just because it will be hard to find someone less suited for the job. Apart from that, competency is unlikely to be among the requirements in the job description.

In its recent past, Germany seems to have used the position of "Minister of Defense" as nothing more than a parking spot for politicians on their way up the political ladder. Military experience, or even basic knowledge, let alone competency, were not factors in deciding on whom to appoint. The last three (all women) were appointed more to fulfill a quota. "Look how modern, liberal, and diverse we are." That's not to say, that a woman cannot have the knowledge and experience to hold such a position, but none of those women did. I think Germany was entirely caught off guard with respect to the necessity to maintain a capable military. It's been a combination of wishful thinking and spending on other "priorities" because the U.S. (along with the rest of Nato) had Germany's back, militarily speaking.

15 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Railway power infrastructure was under attack in Kryvyi Rih in third wave, when mostly Kh-59 were launched from Su-35. Four missiles were intercepted, one hit power infrastructure area, damaging more private cottages. One civilian dead, one wounded.

I did not hear any explosions, although the place where the rocket fell was relatively close to me. There was no electricity for a minute. Now everything is fine.

23 minutes ago, Zeleban said:

I did not hear any explosions, although the place where the rocket fell was relatively close to me. There was no electricity for a minute. Now everything is fine.

Are you in Kryvyi Rih now?

Here is locals posted the place,close to impact.

Зображення

Edited by Haiduk

2 minutes ago, Audgisil said:

In its recent past, Germany seems to have used the position of "Minister of Defense" as nothing more than a parking spot for politicians on their way up the political ladder. Military experience, or even basic knowledge, let alone competency, were not factors in deciding on whom to appoint. The last three (all women) were appointed more to fulfill a quota. "Look how modern, liberal, and diverse we are." That's not to say, that a woman cannot have the knowledge and experience to hold such a position, but none of those women did. I think Germany was entirely caught off guard with respect to the necessity to maintain a capable military. It's been a combination of wishful thinking and spending on other "priorities" because the U.S. (along with the rest of Nato) had Germany's back, militarily speaking.

Well, ministers are rarely appointed because they have actual experience in the topic. That is not as bad as it sounds because that's what they should have their staff for. But sometimes the top people are replaced because wrong party and sometimes you get the ministers who don't listen to people with actual knowledge or who just don't care. But that is like with every boss in every company.

I don't think Germany was caught off guard. This all happened by design (though not necessarily by intent). The sorry state the Bundeswehr is in no way different than, say, bridges, school toilets and roofs, public IT infrastructure, railway tracks, you name it. Because wages in the public sector can't compete with industry, there are too few people competent enough to actually spend money efficiently and in addition the money was put elsewhere. And no, it didn't go into social welfare. The by far biggest part of the federal budget is pensions. Now look which parties ran the government for most of the last 16 years and what the average age of their voters is.

22 minutes ago, Zeleban said:

Glad to hear you are OK, Zeleban.

And let this be yet another reminder of what Putin is:  A serial mass murdering child kidnapper terrorist who destroys entire cities and sends thousands of his own people to death and has threatened nuclear armageddon.  All because he can't figure out how to extricate himself from his failed attempt at a coup and the subsequent subjagation of Ukraine & its people.  And if left in place w a freeze of the current 'territorial realities' he'll just rebuild and start attacking again in 2025. 

Businessman from Dnipro Hennadiy Korban (Zelenskiy has cancelled his Ukrianian citizenship) claimed 25000$ of award for information about names of Tu-22M3 crew, who launched Kh-22 missile and destroyed the house. It's knowingly that the plane belongs to 52nd heavy bomber aviation regiment (Shaikovka airfield) and during mission their leading had callsign 42492

Emergency Service and citizens disassemble ruins

Little girl helps to remove trash around ruined building in Dnipro

Edited by Haiduk

Of course not only Russian top officers are dying at this war...

On 8th of Jan during the battle for Soledar was killed UKR colonel Yuriy Yurchyk, chief of the staff of 10th mobile border guard detachment "Dozor" (this is Border Guard Special Forces). Reportedly he was appointed as a commander of combined Border Guard detachment, which fought for Soledar together with Armed Forces.

Edited by Haiduk

11 hours ago, Kraft said:

Now they start warming up the public for a 2nd wave of tampon & SSh68 carrying sturmobiks that will soon make me question again if im watching all quiet on the western front but from a drone.

As a side note so called "antiwar" movies and literature are such an utter BS. "War is bad" is just a pretence, but what the thing really does is shifts the blame to some "old people who force naive young guys to fight their war". It's a really comfortable world view to an actual invader, rapist, looter, murderer that it's some other guy's fault 1000 miles away, who most likely never held a gun in his hands ever in his life.

Before I knew what russians really are I thought pure evil in movies is just poorly written cliche.

6 minutes ago, kraze said:

As a side note so called "antiwar" movies and literature are such an utter BS. "War is bad" is just a pretence, but what the thing really does is shifts the blame to some "old people who force naive young guys to fight their war". It's a really comfortable world view to an actual invader, rapist, looter, murderer that it's some other guy's fault 1000 miles away, who most likely never held a gun in his hands ever in his life.

Before I knew what russians really are I thought pure evil in movies is just poorly written cliche.

A digression, but I agree that the "war is bad" message is indeed getting rather long in the tooth, and in itself is not enough to make any movie/ TV show/ book interesting, not in the slightest. The latest Netflix adaptation of "All quiet on the western front" is an example of that - the movie was trying to show that "war is hell" so much that it went ahistorical multiple times to show the gore and injustice greater than it really was. And it didn't add any value on top of that.

6 minutes ago, Haiduk said:

Crater of S-300 or S-400 missile in Kopyliv village, Kyiv oblast, 26 km west from Kyiv. What they thoughе to hit here?

Зображення

Sometimes you truly can't figure out if the flaw is in the targeting or the guidance system. Was there some random bit of wrong or utterly out date intelligence about an AFU something? From ten days ago? Or was the intended target 37 kilometers south by south west, and the guidance system is just that bad?

10 minutes ago, Huba said:

A digression, but I agree that the "war is bad" message is indeed getting rather long in the tooth, and in itself is not enough to make any movie/ TV show/ book interesting, not in the slightest. The latest Netflix adaptation of "All quiet on the western front" is an example of that - the movie was trying to show that "war is hell" so much that it went ahistorical multiple times to show the gore and injustice greater than it really was. And it didn't add any value on top of that.

I saw that movie recently and agree with your take. As someone who read the book which this movie was supposedly based on I also wondered why besides name recognition they even called that movie "All quiet on the western front". the movie had very little to do with the book it was based on. IMO the 1930 version is a better adaptation.

Recently unknown attempt of attack on Russian airfield with Tu-141 jet UAV, turned into cruise missile. Video for 24th of Dec shows parts of crashed Tu-141 in Voronezh oblast, Russia, near Buturlinovka town, were military airfield is located - the homebase of 899th assaulr aviation regiment (Su-25) of 105th mixed aviation division.

There is unknown either Buturlinovka airfield was a target, or something in depth of Russian territory, but now you can see, that really UKR uses Tu-141 for these long-range strkes. Old Tu-141 likely are taken from storage and even old Soviet signs don't change on UKR, because this UAV now has only one way ticket.

It could crash after hooked tops of trees, when flew on extrene low altittude, but could be and shot down too, but Russians didn't report about this as I can recall...

Edited by Haiduk

1 hour ago, Huba said:

This movie simply lacked good acting and single identifiable character, like Ernest Brognine or Ian Holm in other adaptation. It's as bland as ca.90% of modern movies- visually stunning, but failing of showing internal human devastation that war causes that was so important in the book (all good "anti-war" books, in fact). And it hit the German movie theatres in worst possible time, frankly.

Still nothing come close to "Paths of Glory" and other good old pieces.

30 minutes ago, dan/california said:

Somewhere between a platoon and a company of IFVs headed somewhere. The ground looks rock hard.

Reportedly Ukrainian artillery is working quite hard in last days in Kreminna-Svatove axis. However, if maps I saw are correct, most elite Ukrainian brigades are still near Bakhmut area, including bulk of armoured ones. Also rumours about possible attack fly relatively freely, I am afraid Russians will be much better prepared this time.

Edited by Beleg85