How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

50 minutes ago, akd said:

@sburke @Kinophile

Lt. Col. Andrey Lutsko, unknown unit (probably an aviation support unit?):

@sburke

Judging by red sripes on shoulder straps he was a serviceman of Ground forces, not VKS. Also about this say motor-rifle signs on shoulder starps. In his biography pointed he served in Stavropol. This could be either 49th CAA HQ, or 66th control brigade of this army. If so, he could be killed in Kherson oblast, where 49th CAA operates.  

Edited by Haiduk

6 hours ago, panzermartin said:

This. 

I'm constantly reading here about predictions on Russia breaking up in an ethnic puzzle and I have my scratching head moments.  

Why a group of russian speaking people  depending on the hand that feeds to survive , will somehow have the desire to go autonomous in the middle of nowhere. 

This could only had a chance to happen with external intervention and support from another country but this is Tom Clancy material as well. 

Convenient timing, yes?

45 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

The importance of factories in NATO countries supplying further ammo to Ukraine cannot be understated to their war effort. There was a explosion at a Bulgarian depot that was being prepped to hold ammo, if it was Russia behind it, it's probably a warning shot before they start blowing up actual filled in depots. It may be time to restrict visa access for Russians if nothing else than to prevent Russian agents bombing factories in the EU.

That would be an incredibly stupid escalation by Putin.  He is arming his friends, the Donetz separatists, and we can arm our friends.  If US agents blew up an arms depot in Russia, it's an act of war/terrorism.  Same thing if Russian agents do it in NATO countries.  But stupidity seems to be the game plan for Putin.  

For example, killing a bunch of POWs in some ridiculous false flag operation??  That is stupid beyond belief.  Gain: make some folks believe UKR missiles are indiscriminate, which is a trivial gain.  Loss: Another mass murder episode that will haunt Russia and make it that much harder to get out of this disaster.  Unbelievable.  Anyone w a brain would stage potemkin-village POW camp video releases w lovely facilities and great food and happy, relieved UKR prisoners (RU soldiers acting, of course).   This propaganda thing aint rocket science.  

@sburke

Looks like akd skipped this.

Major Nikolay Prozorov, 18th assault aviation regiment (Chernihivka airfireld, Far East) of 303rd mixed aviation division of 11th AF&AD Army, Eastern Military District

Got lost on 10th of March NW of Kyiv or in Zhytomyr oblast. His Su-25SM (#10, RF-91969) was shot down by 10th mountain-assault brigade. 

Short thread about possible changes in Russian military culture in incoming years; nothing especially new, just food for thought:

https://twitter.com/MassDara/status/1554168802350342148

16 minutes ago, dan/california said:

Not many places have paid more for bad choices than the LPR/DPR...

Theme overlapping with above; amount of damaged psychos after this war will be a serious problem in both Russia and LDPR areas (whever will own them). Russians of course will not care, but Ukraine did reportedly some large steps in military psychiatry after 2014. Much more will be needed now.

Edited by Beleg85

39 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

For example, killing a bunch of POWs in some ridiculous false flag operation??  That is stupid beyond belief.  Gain: make some folks believe UKR missiles are indiscriminate, which is a trivial gain.  Loss: Another mass murder episode that will haunt Russia and make it that much harder to get out of this disaster.  Unbelievable.  Anyone w a brain would stage potemkin-village POW camp video releases w lovely facilities and great food and happy, relieved UKR prisoners (RU soldiers acting, of course).   This propaganda thing aint rocket science.  

I don't believe that's how they think.

Murdering people and the blatantly lying about it to your face is a show of power. They know it is ridiculous. They know you know. They know there's nothing you can do about it. They are laughing at you.

"Yes I murdered them for fun, and I won't even give you the satisfaction of admitting it - even we both know. What are you going to do about it? There is nothing you can do about it. This is me showing the world what I can get away with."

Same with MH17, same with bombing Odessa after pretending a deal, same with deliberately bombing hospitals and other despicable things.

Edited by Letter from Prague
More examples

19 minutes ago, Letter from Prague said:

I don't believe that's how they think.

Murdering people and the blatantly lying about it to your face is a show of power. They know it is ridiculous. They know you know. They know there's nothing you can do about it. They are laughing at you.

"Yes I murdered them for fun, and I won't even give you the satisfaction of admitting it - even we both know. What are you going to do about it? There is nothing you can do about it. This is me showing the world what I can get away with."

Same with MH17, same with bombing Odessa after pretending a deal, same with deliberately bombing hospitals and other despicable things.

More trainloads of zinc coffins seem to be the only available form of communication.

6 minutes ago, Huba said:

It is Arestovych of course, but I really hope he’s right this time. BTW @Haiduk do you have some info about alleged RU offensive plans in the south? I recall you mentioned it few days ago.

Mashovets promised to write new updated article about this, but so far nothing. Maybe tomorrow. General Staff also reported that Russians move own units to south. 

Edited by Haiduk

10 minutes ago, dan/california said:

More trainloads of zinc coffins seem to be the only available form of communication.

Yes.

As with LPR and DPR, the people who made the choices are not the people who will pay the price.

But there is no other way. Let's just get it over with. And given how much GMLRS launchers is Ukraine getting lately, "let's just get it over with" seems to be the general NATO sentiment.

Results of last night HIMARS strike in Pervomaysk, Luhansk oblast. This building is former office of "Pervomaysk coal" company. Maybe there was a place of troops deployment or HQ

Зображення

UPD. 22:00
3 HIMARS missiles on Stakhanov (Kadiivka), Luhansk oblast. There is unknown yet wath exactly was hit. Locals write no detonations, just strong smell of burning 

Edited by Haiduk

2 hours ago, The_MonkeyKing said:

These are the norm now. When we stop seeing these every couple of weeks the US has stopped maintaining the Ukraine in this conflict.

Here are details of the new package: 

It’s hard to say how the value of these packages is calculated, but going with available data, cost of single 155mm ammo is around $3K. It means that about half of this package is for PGMs, either 155mm or GMLRS.  And boy $300M buys you a lot of M30, at 100K a pop it’s 3000 rounds…

3 minutes ago, Beleg85 said:

Oh, and it seems US finally got al-Zawahiri. Congratulations for US members of this forum!

Appreciate it. Going to be some toasts around this town tonight. And the people who were screaming that the US couldn't do over-the-horizon counter terrorism <cough...Kilcullen...cough...CNN...cough> aren't looking so hot right now.

14 minutes ago, Beleg85 said:

Oh, and it seems US finally got al-Zawahiri. Congratulations for US members of this forum!

An interesting notion from this thread:

Ukraine is building up expectations for the Kherson offensive, quite deliberately. I don’t think it is needed to boost morale or to please the foreign backers. Either they are very sure they can succeed and taunt RU or it is some kind of maskirovka. In any case, they are going to do something spectacular at some point…

Edited by Huba

14 minutes ago, billbindc said:

US couldn't do over-the-horizon counter terrorism <cough...Kilcullen...cough...CNN...cough> aren't looking so hot right now.

Was anyone really saying the US lacked the ability to kill people anywhere in the world?

Does anyone really still think that killing people is counter-terrorism?

14 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

Nagorno Karabakh it's not really Russia isn't it. 

no but Russia was the guarantor for their security. Azerbaijan seems to be taking advantage of Russian preoccupation with Ukraine.  This is a further reduction of Russian influence in the Caucasus and one of the main beneficiaries is Turkey.

Edited by sburke

4 minutes ago, sburke said:

no but Russia was the guarantor for their security.

I’m sure that the same fate will meet Transnistria at one point. There never was a better time to resolve all these disputes that Russia meddled in to keep it’s „sphere of influence”. I wonder what will happen in Georgia during next year…

18 minutes ago, panzermartin said:

Nagorno Karabakh it's not really Russia isn't it. 

It was for over 150years, which is longer than Hawaii has been part of the US (and about the same length of time as Alaska)

6 minutes ago, sburke said:

no but Russia was the guarantor for their security. Azerbaijan seems to be taking advantage of Russian preoccupation with Ukraine.  This is a further reduction of Russian influence in the Caucasus and one of the main beneficiaries is Turkey.

For sure Russia is distracted with Ukraine, but Azerbaijan conducted their major attack  in 2020 well before the current events. 

Also, in this case we have probably Turkey acting behind the scenes.