Priority target for arty?

Greetings Pixeltroopen Generals! 

I have a question about what to prioritize mortar/arty on.

I always prio spots where i think the different FO´s could be placed as they often have the highest kill ratio in game and irl.
After that i go for soft high rate of fire targets as MG, positions and HQ units.

Am i doing this right or do you guys have other suggestions? 

And then i have a suggestion - could we have a Tactics section in this forum - where we can post text, youtube vids etc where we can up our skills in this awesome game?

I salute you all!

I tend to use called arty more for speculative "that looks like it might have some enemy in it" or "that looks like it'd be danged inconvenient if it had enemy in it" targets because using it "reactively", once you've positively identified something that needs removing is generally going to crimp my tempo. Positively identified targets are what on-map mortars tasked to support whatever maneuver elements are out front finding where the enemy really are (if they're not, as they usually aren't, underneath a pre-called barrage) are for.

I've no experience calling arty from off-map in the modern titles, this is with the level of delay inherent to the WW2 titles.

Pretty much the same as womble. For WW2 titles I usually drop it on key terrain that looks like it would contain enemies, usually a suspicious looking hill or treeline or something. On map artillery is for sniping machine gun nests or AT guns. For modern titles the call in times are usually so short I'll wait until I positively identify the enemy and just drop really short intense bursts right on top of them or walk the artillery around the map using the readjust fire option.

If your oppo is careless enuff to leave a lot of inf in the open long enuff for a barrage, that will cause casualties.  But, in CM arty fire is generally ineffective vs anything in buildings, and I find that arty kills very little compared to direct fire.

8 hours ago, NeoOhm said:

could we have a Tactics section in this forum -

We used to mostly talk tactics when the games first came out.  But in recent years most discussion has become the equivalent of rivet counting - ie: arguing about whether a particular weapons system is accurately modeled etc.  rather than about anyone actually playing the game.

You need to chat with players.  I suggest you find one of the (few) forums that are discussing a specific scenario or campaign and see what other players are doing in their DAR's and AAR's and ask questions re "why did you do that" sort of thing.  Players will be happy to discuss tactics there.  

14 hours ago, NeoOhm said:

Am i doing this right or do you guys have other suggestions? 

First you need to discuss which game you talk about. A rookie FO in RT with a battery of Katyushas is different than an Elite FO in SF2 with a battery of mobile 155mm's. I play those two as follows by following tips. The FO in RT blast away for obscuration mostly in the beginning of a scenario. The Elite FO is different following my tip he selects the 155mm on Harass  for a long duration. During a battle he picks priority targets and targets of opportunity. I understand an FO uses a map grid for references, landmarks or his own position. Here is a link for you to watch. 

Edited by chuckdyke

11 minutes ago, NeoOhm said:

Thanks guys!

So on-map arty is more accurate than off-map - even if the on-map dont have LOS to the target?

I noticed that the "hand-carried" small mortars is very accurate and fast in RT for example - with LOS

No, not really. Indirect fire is indirect. "Sniping" the MG nests and keyholed ATGs that you find "the hard way" is best done, usually, with mortars in "direct lay", with their own LOS to target. They can usually find some good concealment at a long enough range that they won't be spotted until after the bombs have started landing. You can use anything from 81mm down in this role, to good effect.

28 minutes ago, NeoOhm said:

Thanks guys!

So on-map arty is more accurate than off-map - even if the on-map dont have LOS to the target?

I noticed that the "hand-carried" small mortars is very accurate and fast in RT for example - with LOS

As womble said, if you fire on-map indirect it isn't that precise anymore. The fall pattern is different IIRC, the oval oriented differently or something.

In CMCW you get 120mm mortars for direct fire. They mosh.

The fact that they can fire that quickly in direct fire is probably not realistic.

Again, thanks guys!

Instead of starting a new thread i have questions about "Bogged"
When bogged, do the vehicles un-bogg - get bogged on some type of dice-roll or can i influence it somehow?

Now, when i detect a bogged i usually just set that unit on pause until it gets un-bogged.

Can i change speed to affect it?
Reverse?
or just hold my thumbs and pray?

Last question, im playing Blunting the Spear right now and there i get no repairs, no reinforcements etc.
Do bogged mean that this unit wont get to next battle?
If so, is it always so or do repairs/no repairs etc affect that?

How about the Anti Air units, do they spot better and react faster to threats when having the "Flag-team" (leader) close-by or at least within range?

When getting contact i can see it as long as, well, i can see it/hear it, but then its gone - any mod that make it possible to put tags/notes on the map or how do you guys solve the -last known position- of all the contacts that sometimes occur during larger battles?<

Screenshots? Pen and paper?
Awesome memory? :)

Im thinking of recruiting my two kids to act as staff officers.

Edited by NeoOhm

4 hours ago, NeoOhm said:

DOH! :)

SALUTE Size enemy unit, Activity, Uniform, Time (Turn 23 for example 12 second mark) Equipment. Spotted by unit ....The HQ XO is responsible for administration. I do this by pressing pause and plot a movement order to the located enemy unit. Watch your C2 at all times so you know which tentative contact is which.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/22/2021 at 9:27 PM, Redwolf said:

Bogged vehicles have a dice roll whether they become operational or go to immobilized, which is permanent.

I assume bogged vehicles make it to the next battle but I never encountered it.

I seem to recall I once bumped a bogged SPW with another one, which unbogged it. Perhaps it was in CMX1. But it really made my day.

3 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

I seem to recall I once bumped a bogged SPW with another one, which unbogged it. Perhaps it was in CMX1. But it really made my day.

Not saying it didn't happen, but I've never seen that in CMx2.

Back in the day, pushed many vehicles out of the way, or out of immobilized status in CMx1.

Possible ***SPOILERS*** Haubtgraben Crossing in FR Seelow Heights. If you defend as German you could park your heavy tanks all on the bridge even bail out and let them be shot or bombed to pieces. I can't see how the Soviets could clear this obstacle in the game. Maybe your JS2's could push them away? By the way I don't intend to play as German maybe against my human opponent to find out. In real life you would of course blow the bridge up which we can't model in WW2 games. 

Edited by chuckdyke