Sci-Fi Combat Mission Theme (Starship Troopers, Space Lobsters, MechWarrior, Ogre...) VOTE

29 minutes ago, DerKommissar said:

Heinlein's Starship Troopers wouldn't work without nukes, or underground combat

I was thinking about that and I had a couple questions.

For underground simulation, what about this. Use terrain that is very mountainous and multi story buildings that are very high.  So that the highest peaks would be the same level as, or one level lower than building's flat roofs.  You would really have to use your imagination until the graphic models caught up, but this would allow you to go 'down' into the building simulating going down into tunnels.  You could even blow some buildings to simulate collapses. 

• I am sure there are problems with this model.  What would they be?

Tactical mini nuke grenades could maybe be simulated with the largest of explosions. 

• Can craters cover more than one terrain square?

One of the problems that I see with Starship Troopers (in the powered armor used by the Mobile Infantry) or BattleTech/Mechwarrior are the jump jets. Also wings used by the bugs.  I'm not sure if Warhammer 40K has units that jump.

• How could we simulate Jump Jets?  If combat mission had this ability it could be used for helicopters and harriers also.  I guess we could replace one of the buttons like 'Fast' with 'Jump' or 'Fast/Jump'. 
  • Is there a separate graphic in the models for vehicles going fast?
  • The elevation would change also.  Is there a stat that changes the height of a vehicle dynamically, like getting taller when the commander pops his head out?  Could be used to make the unit VERY tall.

17 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Starship Troopers wouldn't work without nukes, or underground combat. Verhoeven one would work

Apart from it being utter heresy, there's no actual military science in Verhoeven's "vision" of the MI. It's just a simple-minded "All militry bad, m'kay?" bastardisation of the source material it neither understands nor cleaves to the spirit of.

17 hours ago, DerKommissar said:

Star Wars is literally WW2 in space,

Another franchise which eschews any credible military thought for the sake of "cool" visuals. Not to mention that the rights are very much held by entities which are still active in the field of computer games and wouldn't be cheap to buy. I don't think the kind of gamer who likes CM quite constitutes a large enough demographic to fund such megabuck rights-acquisition.

I think Traveller's 3rd Imperium of Mankind would be a sci-fi milieu that's "hard" enough to support a game as tactical as CM, and which has a sufficiently grognard, detail-oriented playerbase to find some new players for a computer wargame set in its land theatres, which I don't think has been done before.

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

If this series were used, we'd have half the forces already made.

And the other half would just need reskinning from the C21st materiel in SF2 and BS.

1 hour ago, Sequoia said:

I always wondered though, does this series also turn the Germans into good guy?

I can't remember offhand, but I don't think Mr Schickelgruber lasts long; a nagging memory is that the Third Reich is one of the early conquests of the lizards, giving them some "righteous" bones for having ended the Nazi atrocities... I think one of the earliest vignettes is a PzIII crew facing off against an M1A1-equivalent.

2 hours ago, womble said:

I think Traveller's 3rd Imperium of Mankind would be a sci-fi milieu that's "hard" enough to support a game as tactical as CM, and which has a sufficiently grognard, detail-oriented playerbase to find some new players for a computer wargame set in its land theatres, which I don't think has been done before.

Now you are talking.  B)

Traveller 2300 would be great too:

roo_iv.png

luki-9.png

PS - Among the countless things stashed up in my attic are every official item for both of the above games (& quite a few others besides).