Windows 11.

You should be okay.  I updated to Win11 on a recently acquired gaming desktop which I had previously installed CMBN, CMFI, CMFB, and CMCW when it was still a Windows 10 PC.  All those titles seems to play fine on Win11.  

However, I am unable to run Combat Mission Cold War using Steam on this Windows 11 PC.

I originally purchased CMCW from Battlefront.  Last week I was able to successfully obtain my Slitherine Steam Key, add this game to my Steam library, and download the game from Steam.  Yet when I try to start the game from Steam on a Win11 OS PC, the game fails to run.   When I press "play" in the Slitherine game window, the Windows little circle shows up for a moment and then goes away.  I've restarted my PC and changed the Steam Library CMCW executable on my PC to Win8 compatibility without success.

So, I have no problems playing the Battlefront versions on Win11 but I am unable to play the Steam version of CMCW.  Support tickets are logged.  Go figure . . .

16 minutes ago, Badger73 said:

You should be okay.  I updated to Win11 on a recently acquired gaming desktop which I had previously installed CMBN, CMFI, CMFB, and CMCW when it was still a Windows 10 PC.  All those titles seems to play fine on Win11.  

However, I am unable to run Combat Mission Cold War using Steam on this Windows 11 PC.

I originally purchased CMCW from Battlefront.  Last week I was able to successfully obtain my Slitherine Steam Key, add this game to my Steam library, and download the game from Steam.  Yet when I try to start the game from Steam on a Win11 OS PC, the game fails to run.   When I press "play" in the Slitherine game window, the Windows little circle shows up for a moment and then goes away.  I've restarted my PC and changed the Steam Library CMCW executable on my PC to Win8 compatibility without success.

So, I have no problems playing the Battlefront versions on Win11 but I am unable to play the Steam version of CMCW.  Support tickets are logged.  Go figure . . .

@BFCElvis did you find what's up with some Win11 installs of CW 1.02?

24 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

@BFCElvis did you find what's up with some Win11 installs of CW 1.02?

Badger must be the ticket that I got on the Help Desk. I have only gotten one. My initial suggestion was to check with Steam since it works on the Battlefront version but not the Steam version. I was actually hopeful that they already knew about the issue and had a fix. They directed him back to me.

There are people that are running it with no problem on Windows 11. It's possible that it is a different issue that has nothing to do with Windows 11 and others without Windows 11 are experiencing it too. My daughter has been playing it on Windows 11 without a problem. So, it isn't a problem that affects all Windows 11 users. 

The Battlefront v1.02 patch will be out very soon (yes, I said very). An hour or so ago I left it with him that we'd see if the Battlefront version still runs once the v1.02 patch is installed. So, that's where it's at right now. 1 ticket and we're trying to figure it out. 

4 hours ago, Badger73 said:

Yet when I try to start the game from Steam on a Win11 OS PC, the game fails to run.   When I press "play" in the Slitherine game window, the Windows little circle shows up for a moment and then goes away.

I'm gonna assume you did the uninstall/reinstall game.  Here is some obscure advice when my Combat Mission does that.  

For me, it is always related to sound. If Combat Mission can't figure out what to do with the sound, it just crashes to desktop.  I was able to systematically troubleshoot the problem to my headsets. I use two wireless Bluetooth headsets and sometimes one would quit working and disconnect without me noticing.  But when it would CTD, it was usually all or most of my CM games.

Since you say it is only happening on your Steam version, Steam may be using a dedicated sound device in win11 that is not setup or is corrupted. I don't know where to find that in Win11. Maybe someone else does. If you can change Steam (or Steam CMCW) to your default sound device, with luck, maybe that's the ticket.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/23/2021 at 4:23 PM, BFCElvis said:

Badger must be the ticket that I got on the Help Desk. I have only gotten one. My initial suggestion was to check with Steam since it works on the Battlefront version but not the Steam version. I was actually hopeful that they already knew about the issue and had a fix. They directed him back to me.

There are people that are running it with no problem on Windows 11. It's possible that it is a different issue that has nothing to do with Windows 11 and others without Windows 11 are experiencing it too. My daughter has been playing it on Windows 11 without a problem. So, it isn't a problem that affects all Windows 11 users. 

The Battlefront v1.02 patch will be out very soon (yes, I said very). An hour or so ago I left it with him that we'd see if the Battlefront version still runs once the v1.02 patch is installed. So, that's where it's at right now. 1 ticket and we're trying to figure it out. 

I should have posted an update after Thanksgiving.  I think a Win11 update fixed this back then.  The Steam version of this game now works for me on Win11 since early December.

On 12/2/2021 at 1:08 AM, THH149 said:

Sometimes, when I try to run CMCW in Steam on WIn10 it refuses to start up, and my fix is to turn the sound on! True story!

Ditto with you and @Erwin.  Bluetooth headphones disconnecting would cause the game to hang or CTD when starting if Combat Mission couldn't find absound output.

2 hours ago, Badger73 said:

I should have posted an update after Thanksgiving.  I think a Win11 update fixed this back then.  The Steam version of this game now works for me on Win11 since early December.

Coolio!

I have gotten close to no Windows 11 tickets. So, I don't think that there is anything inherent about Combat Mission and Windows 11 not playing nice together. What issues I've seen have been issues someone would have with Windows 10 or 11.