Heads up on Radeon graphics - never drivers cause issues

I wanted to tell this earlier, but been expecting AMD to fix it, which it didn't.

With AMD Radeon cards if you have any driver installed above 21.8.2. (that was the last working version), the game will crash on larger scenarios and experiences huge performance issues on the smaller ones.

The error message says out of memory.

I just realized that with the release of Cold War on steam some people may have problems with the game because of this.

Edited by Bufo

Thanks for the heads-up.

I have an AMD graphics card with the most recent full-release driver.  As you stated, trying to load one of CMRT's huge scenarios caused the game to CTD.  (I had loaded that same scenario without issue with an older driver.)

I rolled back to the 21.8.2 and that scenario again loaded without problem.  So, it's definitely the new driver that caused the CTD.

I hope this isn't a permanent issue with AMD cards.

42 minutes ago, Myles Keogh said:

Thanks for the heads-up.

I have an AMD graphics card with the most recent full-release driver.  As you stated, trying to load one of CMRT's huge scenarios caused the game to CTD.  (I had loaded that same scenario without issue with an older driver.)

I rolled back to the 21.8.2 and that scenario again loaded without problem.  So, it's definitely the new driver that caused the CTD.

I hope this isn't a permanent issue with AMD cards.

Thanks for confirming!

@BFCElvis

Edited by Bufo

13 minutes ago, Artkin said:

That's pretty ****ty. AMD discontinuing support for openGL I guess?

I don't think so, I think it is more likely a bug that hasn't been noticed so far because it only affects some very rarely played games (like this, the CM series).

(yes, CM games are very rarely played if you look at the whole PC gaming business)

1 hour ago, burning_phoneix said:

Just a heads up. I have the Steam version of CW (So 1.02?) and the game doesn't crash for me despite having the latest drivers (21.10.2) from AMD. Tried both small and Huge Missions and they all loaded up normally

Try to load the scenario: "US Campaign scenario Bear in the sun" as blue.

3 hours ago, burning_phoneix said:

Wow, yeah that scenario doesn't load. I get to 43% and get a crash "Out of Memory". I tried the huge scenario above it "Rupenheim Rumpus (sp?)" and it worked fine. Will try other scenarios in other games.

Just downgrade to 21.8.2. There's no reason to experiment, you have the same issue.

36 minutes ago, burning_phoneix said:

I won't unless it effects other scenarios. I don't play huge maps and rolling back drivers is a hassle.

The performance is lower (fps) across all titles and scenarios regardless of the size. Downgrading takes literally 1 minute (at least on my PC).