Problems installing CMBN

Erwin

Seems a lot harder than newer games.

Firstly there is no "Activate New Products" link.  When I go to "Programs" and look at the Licensing/Manual Activation link that goes to a BF page that says "This Page Cannot Be Found".  

Sometimes, if I try to start the game the activation page comes up, but other times it does not.  Then while most of my codes work to activate, the Base Game code got the result "Invalid Serial Number" even tho' I checked that code on "My Accounts" and I do have it correct.  (I even tried copying the code directly from my BF order page.)

So far all the codes other than "Base Game" is activated.  But, it is very difficult to get the "Activate New Products" page back - takes many tries clicking on the start game link etc.  What on earth is going on?

Edited by Erwin

I would put in a ticket or wait for @BFCElvis to come along - he will sort it I'm sure.  Interestingly CMBN bundle was my first CM title and and I had no problems with it, sorry to hear about yours!

EDIT: my memory is playing tricks, RT was my first but CMBN was second. Then FI and then FB and then F&R - all with no problems.

Edited by Vacilllator

The 'manual activation' process is DEAD as far as I'm aware. I think after the 2.0 Upgrade it didn't work anymore since it was a slightly newer copy-protection system and it no longer supported the manual activation process. It will point to a dead page on the site (or generate a '404 error').

What version of CMBN are you trying to activate ? If you've installed a 4.x version of CMBN, then the 1.0 Base Game and 2.0 Upgrade license keys are not needed and will not be recognized (as far as I'm aware). So I assume that may account for the error you're getting if you're trying to activate with the 1.0 Base Game license key.

If you're installing under Windows 10, I would NOT bother to install starting from 1.0 and applying each module, upgrade and patch to reach 4.03 (which you would have to install in a specific sequence or you will find content disappearing). Just use the 4.0 Upgrade download to install. I don't think you're going to get any different of an outcome by slogging through all of the modules, upgrades and patches compared to just using the all-in-one installer. The 1.x version will not run under Windows 10 due to the incompatibility of the copy-protection system and you would be unable to activate any license keys while running as a 1.x install.

If you're installing CMBN 4.x, then you only need the 4.0 and 3.0 Upgrade license keys to activate the base game (both will be needed for the game to work at all). The other license keys (Commonwealth, Market-Garden, Vehicle Pack, Battle Pack) can be activated at any time and they just activate the content that is already present. In other words the game can run without them, but you will not be able to access the specific content until that license key is activated.

I'm not sure what may be going on in the game not coming up with a license activation process on launch, especially if it only does that sometimes. The license activation windows should come up as long as the base game is not fully activated (in the case of 4.x that would mean activating the 4.0 and 3.0 Upgrade license keys). Activations remain in place even when you perform an uninstall of the game. They only disappear if you reinstall Windows (especially if done 'from scratch'), upgrade your hardware significantly (this may result in a 'license error' or the game simply not running), possible version upgrades of Windows and logging into Windows with a different account than what the game was activated under (that was the case in the past, I believe).

Edited by Schrullenhaft

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

I thought this forum was tech support.  

No. This forum is not the official Tech Support location. This is more like asking friends for help. Although Schrullenhaft does an amazing job of keeping an eye on things here. The Help Desk is the official tech support location.

4 hours ago, Erwin said:

However, seems awfully complex...  :(

You should have seen it before. 🙂

50 minutes ago, BFCElvis said:

This forum is not the official Tech Support location. This is more like asking friends for help.

LOL.  Have you considered that confusion arises from the forum being called "TECH SUPPORT"?

Maybe think about renaming it "Ask Uncle Bob", Or, "CM Agony Aunt"   Or, "Members Advice Area"?

34 minutes ago, Erwin said:

LOL.  Have you considered that confusion arises from the forum being called "TECH SUPPORT"?

Maybe think about renaming it "Ask Uncle Bob", Or, "CM Agony Aunt"   Or, "Members Advice Area"?

Well, it isn't titled "TECH SUPPORT". It is titled "CM General Tech Support" and the first stuck post lays out what this part of the forum is about. Not for nuttin. Just sayin. 

12 hours ago, BFCElvis said:

the first stuck post lays out what this part of the forum is about

on my system it's the third stuck post.  and who actually reads down the entire list of posts before asking about a problem?  that's not how humans behave imo.  so, i still (seriously) recommend a change to the forum title to avoid confusion.  I've been on these forums for 20 years... so if i'm still confused by many aspects of the BF website...

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/29/2021 at 4:00 PM, Erwin said:

on my system it's the third stuck post.  and who actually reads down the entire list of posts before asking about a problem?  that's not how humans behave imo.  so, i still (seriously) recommend a change to the forum title to avoid confusion.  I've been on these forums for 20 years... so if i'm still confused by many aspects of the BF website...

Changed your policy on stickies then obviously ...