Bradley vs T90

Bemused

Bufo,

Thanks! Looks like a dandy setup for funneling a KE penetrator or an explosion (complete with high velocity frags) into the fighting compartment. Note the apparent shot trap feeding projectiles to the driver's optic. Not smart. By contrast, the T-14 Armata has no such vulnerability, for there are no direct optics leading into the fighting compartment. All external viewing is done through cameras (and in the case of the APS, MMW radar). The driver's position looks horribly uncomfortable and highly likely to produce leg cramps. 

Regards,

John Kettler

4 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Not smart.

Haha that is actually from the american M60 (for representation - its the same in the T-64/72/80 series).

Actual T-72/90:

432driver.jpg

The seating is a little better in the T series (left )than in an M60 (right):

5mteix19yne41.png

Edited by Bufo

14 hours ago, John Kettler said:

Bufo,

Thanks! Looks like a dandy setup for funneling a KE penetrator or an explosion (complete with high velocity frags) into the fighting compartment. Note the apparent shot trap feeding projectiles to the driver's optic. Not smart. By contrast, the T-14 Armata has no such vulnerability, for there are no direct optics leading into the fighting compartment. All external viewing is done through cameras (and in the case of the APS, MMW radar). The driver's position looks horribly uncomfortable and highly likely to produce leg cramps. 

Regards,

John Kettler

K. 

What about using fiber optic instead of vision blocks/slits (not good for amphib ops) and periscopes? All cables exit through the back of the AFV. Sure, vulnerable, better than nothing. Fiber optic cables; strong; good redundancy (billions of little strands).

And about driver's position. My wife gave me the idea when I was working on a tank design; have the crew sit down, coffin style. Ingenious uh? Fiber optic already solves most of the "position" problem. Pretty comfy. Maybe get some padding on the floor. Autoloader can take care of the lifting. Work smart; not hard.

Regards, X (PhD).

1 minute ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

K. 

What about using fiber optic instead of vision blocks/slits (not good for amphib ops) and periscopes? All cables exit through the back of the AFV. Sure, vulnerable, better than nothing. Fiber optic cables; strong; good redundancy (billions of little strands).

And about driver's position. My wife gave me the idea when I was working on a tank design; have the crew sit down, coffin style. Ingenious uh? Fiber optic already solves most of the "position" problem. Pretty comfy. Maybe get some padding on the floor. Autoloader can take care of the lifting. Work smart; not hard.

Regards, X (PhD).

H2A_Render_M808BScorpion.jpg

Edited by Rinaldi

I like it. Perfect configuration for hull-down. Looks like it would have very low ground pressure; good for marshes, ice. UNSCDF? What's that all about? Ukraine National Secret Combat Development Force? Would explain the need for good marsh and ice traversal, and the secrecy (never seen that AFV before; surprised, quite a looker). I wouldn't be mad about my tax dollars going to that program. Those ukies sure need it; despite what Black Sea would have you believe (Russian gear over-modeled, severe shot trap flaws ignored, many such cases).

Regards, X. 

Have a whole weekend's worth of crossword puzzles to finish. 

1 minute ago, Xorg_Xalargsky said:

I like it. Perfect configuration for hull-down. Looks like it would have very low ground pressure; good for marshes, ice. UNSCDF? What's that all about? Ukraine National Secret Combat Development Force? Would explain the need for good marsh and ice traversal, and the secrecy (never seen that AFV before; surprised, quite a looker). I wouldn't be mad about my tax dollars going to that program. Those ukies sure need it; despite what Black Sea would have you believe (Russian gear over-modeled, severe shot trap flaws ignored, many such cases).

Regards, X. 

Have a whole weekend's worth of crossword puzzles to finish. 

Kiss me