M1 Mac works great with the new engine

Beeman

• 1 month later...

Could anyone more tech/Mac savvy comment on if the improvements in the new M1 Pro (Macbook Pro) will make any difference in Combat Mission gaming compared to the older M1? I remember someone writing at some point that CM can only use 'one core' - I hardly understand what that means to be honest, but I assume it means the whole multi-core thing does not make any difference for the CM experience?

4 minutes ago, G. Smiley said:

Could anyone more tech/Mac savvy comment on if the improvements in the new M1 Pro (Macbook Pro) will make any difference in Combat Mission gaming compared to the older M1? I remember someone writing at some point that CM can only use 'one core' - I hardly understand what that means to be honest, but I assume it means the whole multi-core thing does not make any difference for the CM experience?

Right. CPU-wise all M1 Macs are the same for CM, even the biggest 16" (except that the Air with no fan might slow down after a while). But of course the added GPU cores do make a difference.

10 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Right. CPU-wise all M1 Macs are the same for CM, even the biggest 16" (except that the Air with no fan might slow down after a while). But of course the added GPU cores do make a difference.

Thanks Redwolf.

Should I expect noticeable improved performance compared with my current 2016 MBP with the Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB? I understand this is specualtion only and 'noticeable' is a very vague term.

17 minutes ago, G. Smiley said:

Thanks Redwolf.

Should I expect noticeable improved performance compared with my current 2016 MBP with the Intel Iris Graphics 550 1536 MB? I understand this is specualtion only and 'noticeable' is a very vague term.

I don't have an M1 Mac, but my understanding is "no" at this time.

If you want to run better on Mac a used Intel mac with ATI graphics chip is the better option at this time.

• 1 month later...

Good to hear. I wonder if the performance using Parallels would be better than my Intel MBP. That will be the only way to use PBEM++  Right now, CW runs in Parallels, but not well. Graphics are poor and a lot of lag. But the M1 chips are supposed to be screamers.

Dave

24 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

Good to hear. I wonder if the performance using Parallels would be better than my Intel MBP. That will be the only way to use PBEM++  Right now, CW runs in Parallels, but not well. Graphics are poor and a lot of lag. But the M1 chips are supposed to be screamers.

Yeah, but CM is an x86 binary, so you would have a processor code translation that you don't have with Parallels on x86 running x86 windows binaries.

Why did you pick Parallels over the alternatives (vmware, virtualbox)?

24 minutes ago, Redwolf said:

Yeah, but CM is an x86 binary, so you would have a processor code translation that you don't have with Parallels on x86 running x86 windows binaries.

Why did you pick Parallels over the alternatives (vmware, virtualbox)?

Made it easier for work I was doing for my research when I was at NC State. Combination of tools running in Windows and Unix (which run on Mac with a little massaging), and passing files back and forth. I've just stuck with it because it works well for me and I'm used to it.

Dave

I'll ask here what I asked in another thread - anyone using Monterey and an M1 Mac having an issue that the loading screens for turns are completely black? There is no % loaded displayed as the turn is read by the game. Didn't work that way only intel Mac, and not on my windows PC either. 

Can’t help you with the M1 question. I have a 2014 27” iMac w/ high end GPU, and a high end 2019 MBP w/ AMD Pro Vega 20 GPU. The iMac loads slow, but runs great. The Vega 20 encounters freeze issues, leading to crashes, and Saving during the command phase causes the game to sporadically quit (no crash and no save either) so commands given since last save are lost. These issues only appear on certain maps, and map size doesn’t seem to be the problem. 

37 minutes ago, StormDog said:

Can’t help you with the M1 question. I have a 2014 27” iMac w/ high end GPU, and a high end 2019 MBP w/ AMD Pro Vega 20 GPU. The iMac loads slow, but runs great. The Vega 20 encounters freeze issues, leading to crashes, and Saving during the command phase causes the game to sporadically quit (no crash and no save either) so commands given since last save are lost. These issues only appear on certain maps, and map size doesn’t seem to be the problem. 

Which maps? I'd like to try.

12 hours ago, StormDog said:

Interesting that the Vega bugs out. I use a 2019 iMac 27" 5k with Radeon Pro 575X GPU and have practically zero issues running any of the CM games. I do still run Mojave (10.14) for stability/compatibility as it's a work rig as well. Use it to play and develop my mods and rarely find anything it can't handle. Bit slow opening the largest of maps but that's to be expected. Looks like AMD may have futzed up the newer drivers. I may run a test with Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey to see if any of them cause issues for me.

On 12/5/2021 at 9:45 PM, Lucky_Strike said:

Looks like AMD may have futzed up the newer drivers. I may run a test with Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey to see if any of them cause issues for me.

Thanks for the reply.  Very well may be. I was not sure how graphics card driver updates were handled on a Mac until I read that they are included in system software updates//upgrades. The problems may have started as a result of upgrading to Catalina (I'm now on Monteray, and still have the problems).  My 2014 27" iMac is still running Majave, and I have no problems on it.

6 hours ago, StormDog said:

Thanks for the reply.  Very well may be. I was not sure how graphics card driver updates were handled on a Mac until I read that they are included in system software updates//upgrades. The problems may have started as a result of upgrading to Catalina (I'm now on Monteray, and still have the problems).  My 2014 27" iMac is still running Majave, and I have no problems on it.

Yes, sadly with Apple the GPU drivers are a bit too closely integrated with the system unlike in Windows where it's much easier to downgrade ones drivers if a new version has issues. It is possible to mess with the GPU driver versions but it's a right faff and can cause other unforeseen issues. If I get a chance over Christmas I might try out a newer OS but sometimes if it ain't broke ... is the safest approach.