German WSS panzer grenadiers - how do I mod to remove the kit on their Y harness please?

Hi

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I'm looking to mod German WSS panzer grenadiers to have little kit on their Y harness to represent the fact they have just jumped out their SPW and going into action. So minimum kit on their Y harness - some pics I've seen show a belt and ammo pouches at most. I've found the equipment brz file (210d - thx @kohlenklau for the brz breakdown) but not sure how I'd get the kit from not showing on the guys harness. Any suggestions please?

Many thanks.

The Alpha Channel on anything you want to not see will need to be converted to all black (0,0,0 RGB). It will be rendered invisible afterwards. As suggested, you will want these ModTagged. I'm not sure what other associations that file/files may have (other branches that may or may not be present in the scenario), but it will also affect any shared textures.

Shoot me a PM if you run into issues with it still showing up.

If anybody else wants it, here is what I did for George MC...

[nogear] modtag text file.

[nogear] v1.0 Waffen SS have only bayonets, ammo pouches.

[nogear] v2.0 Waffen SS have only bayonets, ammo pouches AND custom breadbags for souvenirs (I used Blender to remove canteen and messkit).

Use only v1.0 OR v2.0, not both at the same time.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ui7qhuungkgv65s/AACSHFMmZGXxSLfpRiAx405la?dl=0

2 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

If anybody else wants it, here is what I did for George MC...

[nogear] modtag text file.

[nogear] v1.0 Waffen SS have only bayonets, ammo pouches.

[nogear] v2.0 Waffen SS have only bayonets, ammo pouches AND custom breadbags for souvenirs (I used Blender to remove canteen and messkit).

Use only v1.0 OR v2.0, not both at the same time.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ui7qhuungkgv65s/AACSHFMmZGXxSLfpRiAx405la?dl=0

Brilliant thank you.

@MikeyD One wee tiny issue is that the shadows of the missing items are still there if you hit alt-W (although I thought its not stand out and not an immersion breaker). Do you know how to eliminate the shadows please? Enquiring minds ( @kohlenklau ) are seeking the knowledge! :)

7 hours ago, George MC said:

Do you know how to eliminate the shadows please? Enquiring minds ( @kohlenklau ) are seeking the knowledge! :)

It sounds like the drop shadows are on their own layer rather than on the layer the gear  that you want to hide is on. I use Corel Paintshop Pro so if you are using Gimp or Photoshop I can’t vouch for this solution, which is to simply collapse/merge the drop shadow layer  with the piece of gear layer. Hope that is clear enough…and that it works!

That could be a game engine thing, I believe. I think I had some of this when I was taking whacks at the buildings ages ago (they are...complex, and best left to Cassio's particular genius).

The game doesn't do the next-generation ray-tracing deal, but there are directional shadows mapped. It seems to be based upon what models should be there, rather than what we might mod them to be. That may not hold for everything, though- helmets don't seem to cast shadows- but they can come off.

If they are 2D based, the solution above would certainly do the trick. But these deep dives are rarely easy, as we know!

14 hours ago, George MC said:

Do you know how to eliminate the shadows please?

One method would be to replace the model of the objects with something, which makes less shadows (e.g. a chin strap).

But at this point you have to be careful, because in the case of equipment objects, the associated texture file is often written into the model file.

Maybe the syrian chin strap-model from CMSF2 with the masked textures from kohlenklau?

1 hour ago, waffelmann said:

Ok, I tried it and I think there are not noticable shadows. Can you make it for yourself or do you have a upload taget? Or I can try to offer a dropbox-link.

Just to be clear: we are talking about the bfc mdr file, a german gear cluster of breadbag-canteen-messkit. I then took it into blender and made the canteen and messkit go away. In the game, we only see the breadbag BUT we still some see the shadow effect from the canteen and messkit down on the breadbag. This is NOT part of the texture of the gear. This is NOT dropshadow. It turns on and off with the alt-W shadow switch. I went into Blender and tried to deselect "can receive shadows" but still no joy. 

:-)

Sure, send a download link and I will look at it. I am open to looking at any solution to getting rid of shadows cast by something no longer there!