M4 Sherman Sandbagged vs AT Gun

Ok, I ran this test, (out of curiosity) around two dozen times just to see what the penetration was for the 50/38 AT (behind Hedgerow 250 meters) vs M4 Late from the front, and what the reaction times were for return fire, etc...What I discovered is the M4 (non-sandbagged) will spot and return fire after the 50/38 AT shoots about 2-3 rounds...However, the same M4 Late (Sandbagged) never spotted or returned fire even after takes several hits. 

Could this be a Bug, Game limitation, or something overlooked ?

Edited by JoMac

31 minutes ago, JoMac said:

Ok, I ran this test, (out of curiosity) around two dozen times just to see what the penetration was for the 50/38 AT (behind Hedgerow 250 meters) vs M4 Late from the front, and what the reaction times were for return fire, etc...What I discovered is the M4 (non-sandbagged) will spot and return fire after the 50/38 AT shoots about 2-3 rounds...However, the same M4 Late (Sandbagged) never spotted or returned fire even after takes several hits. 

Could this be a Bug, Game limitation, or something overlooked ?

I'd say just chance, unless you ran the test like 50times with same result. Edit just read you did run it 24 times: missed that just now. I don't know the answer tbh

Edited by Lethaface

It would be nice if you defined "sandbagged" - and which CM game you are playing.

As far as I can tell there is no way for a player to select whether a Sherman has sandbags on the front or not (in CMBN). They seem to load ramdomly. So I assume you are talking about a tank placed behind a sandbag barrier?

2 hours ago, umlaut said:

It would be nice if you defined "sandbagged" - and which CM game you are playing.

As far as I can tell there is no way for a player to select whether a Sherman has sandbags on the front or not (in CMBN). They seem to load ramdomly. So I assume you are talking about a tank placed behind a sandbag barrier?

Yes, it's CMBN, and the M4 Late Sandbag/Crate Shermans were mixed in about 50% of the time.  

15 hours ago, akd said:

That’s just random visual variety. Has no effect on the vehicle.

Right.
I just ran a couple of tests with 30 M4´s vs 30 PaK 38´s placed behind hedges. They were all in separate lanes, so each Sherman only would face one PaK. The PaK´s all had short cover arcs to ensure that they would not fire on the Shermans but let the Shermans spot uninterfered.

Whether they had crates, sandbags or nothing on the front made no difference whatsoever on the Shermans´ spotting abilities.

Edited by umlaut

3 hours ago, umlaut said:

Right.
I just ran a couple of tests with 30 M4´s vs 30 PaK 38´s placed behind hedges. They were all in separate lanes, so each Sherman only would face one PaK. The PaK´s all had short cover arcs to ensure that they would not fire on the Shermans but let the Shermans spot uninterfered.

Whether they had crates, sandbags or nothing on the front made no difference whatsoever on the Shermans´ spotting abilities.

So, how did the Shermans spot the AT's (and range) behind the Hedgerow if the AT's didn't fire ?...I know my tests showed that Sandbagged Shermans couldn't spot the ATG's firing at them 250 meters away, while the normal Sherman or Crate Sherman was able to spot same AT after it fired a few rounds. 

Edited by JoMac

I placed them behind a normal hedge row. At the first try I placed them behind bocage, but the none of Shermans ever spotted the guns. So I changed it to normal hedges.

But as I said: They all spotted equally well - crates, sandbags or none.