Elefants and Tigers

11 hours ago, zaybz said:

Hmm, a part of me is thinking "do I want to play a game which is going to frustrate me?"... But the answer is probably "yes!" 

Thanks 

Tja, think about how rewarding it is, when you finally get a grasp of the game. Or when you start winning PBEM‘s against other people.

14 hours ago, Ts4EVER said:

I played this a while back:

Thanks very much - I've watched several of your videos to help learn the game, in fact I searched for this scenario but couldnt find it.

Look forward to watching how you approach it and hope to learn a thing or two. I've skipped ahead quickly and seen that you flank right, not left. I also watched enough to hear you say that the scenario is "pretty unbalanced and actually quite unfair" or words to that effect, which is reassuring! (Not that I'm holding you to those words!)

12 hours ago, Bearstronaut said:

What I did for the mission was use the town to set up a base of fire with my Vickers teams in order to suppress enemy teams on the opposite ridge and then sent my dudes up the left side of the map and swept across the ridge laterally.

That's more or less exactly what I did, to disastrous effect! I'm curious as to how you managed effective firing angles as you swept across laterally.

Also, so many of the enemy's troops are not visible from the town as they're dug in on the reverse slope, so there's no suppression value from the town for them.

Edited by zaybz
Typos and clarity

4 hours ago, zaybz said:

That's more or less exactly what I did, to disastrous effect! I'm curious as to how you managed effective firing angles as you swept across laterally.

Also, so many of the enemy's troops are not visible from the town as they're dug in on the reverse slope, so there's no suppression value from the town for them.

Split up your squads into fire teams and bound them with fire and maneuver. A lot of it is luck too. Getting a lucky shot on an LMG gunner or a lucky grenade throw can be the difference between victory and defeat, especially in some of the smaller scenarios.

The scenario is pretty tricky. I had lots of failed attempts........ the recoilless rifles caused havoc for me. I agree, not best scenario for including in demo (I didn’t know that). Compare and contrast to scenario in CMBN. Maybe reconsider that for next demo version?

Well, I went back a few saves and didn't commit fully to the attack from the left, instead keeping up some supression fire (not much of it in any danger of harming the Germans), and shifting more of my troops round to the right via the UCs and trucks, forming a double pincer.

I still felt that the loss of life in moving up to the dug in position was far too much, but: maybe perception is everything! Because the result was a Major Victory!

31 Killed, 27 Wounded, compared to 39 Germans killed and 32 wounded! They lost 2 vehicles, I lost 1 (although 3 or 4 more were immobilized). I'm stunned that my losses were less than theirs!

In retrospect, I think I probably had the scenario won even in my first playthrough (which I never saw through to the end). I was just a bit too fixated on wiping out all the Germans, even though I controlled all the objectives except for the High Ground.

Thanks for all the advice about this scenario. I think I'll be buying Battle for Normandy first - I just need to figure out which exact items to buy in order to get a good British / Commonwealth experience, whilst attempting not to break the bank.

sounds like this scenario was perfect for you after all, Zaybz.  It showed that this game is a challenge, but win-able (winnable? winable?).  Normandy is the place to be I think for first purchase, especially if you want Commonwealth.  I haven't used mods much but it looks like there's some amazing mods for Normandy terrain. 

You will need Normandy base game + CW + Market Garden, which probably costs as much as the buying the whole big bundle.  I hope you can find the money, you'll be playing this for years and years.

10 minutes ago, danfrodo said:

sounds like this scenario was perfect for you after all, Zaybz.  It showed that this game is a challenge, but win-able (winnable? winable?).  Normandy is the place to be I think for first purchase, especially if you want Commonwealth.  I haven't used mods much but it looks like there's some amazing mods for Normandy terrain. 

You will need Normandy base game + CW + Market Garden, which probably costs as much as the buying the whole big bundle.  I hope you can find the money, you'll be playing this for years and years.

CMBN has the most stock content as well as the most user created material of any of the games. It is definitely the one to get if you can only get one.

7 hours ago, danfrodo said:

there's some amazing mods for Normandy terrain

Agreed.

And yes BN is a good way to start, go for the bundle if possible.  Or you could start with RT like I did, which is also great 😉 but it might be worth waiting until F&R comes out on that one.

On 3/20/2021 at 7:52 AM, Erwin said:

It's part of BF's "drug addiction" sales strategy.  Get you hooked with the base game, then you start buying everything else...  ;)

I bought the CMBN bundle after playing the demo in 2017 and over the last few years have bought all their other games except CM: Afghanistan.