I don't like any of the camera options

Hi!

I suppose this is not the very best way to start, but that is truth. Normal, rts or fps are terrible for me. I suppose I have to get to it, but I would like that the battlefront.com group could implement something very "simple" Just orbit the camera in the unit selected (and attached to it in movement) and pan with middle or right mouse button. I am 3D artist and that is the way I always moved in 3D all my life (30 years working on it). If I had to use your camera options in 3Dstudio max, Blender or Maya, I would cut my veins XDDD.

In any case.. if you don't plan to modify anything. I would like you to give us the option to change mouse buttons options as we wish. For example mouse wheel for height or zoom... right mouse for pan or rotation.... control+mouse buttons for other thing... etc... Right now we cannot customize that area.

Edited by Japo32

You are right, you can't do anything with the mouse buttons, that I'm aware of. I can't tell from your post but there is a hotkeys.txt file in the installation that you can modify. One of the sections is on camera settings, so if you wanted to you could change this file so it's more in line with other software you are used to. Apologies if you are already aware you can do this. 

Dave

8 hours ago, Japo32 said:

In any case.. if you don't plan to modify anything. I would like you to give us the option to change mouse buttons options as we wish. For example mouse wheel for height or zoom... right mouse for pan or rotation.... control+mouse buttons for other thing... etc... Right now we cannot customize that area.

Sorry if I am not understanding your question/request, but if I am reading this right, this is already possible. 

When I play CM, I use the WASD keys to move the camera around the battlefield. QE rotate the camera left and right. If you press and hold the right mouse button it will rotate the camera around, and if you press and hold the left mouse button and then move the mouse, it will move the camera around at varying speeds. Using the mouse wheel is how I zoom in and out as well. 

In the controls section of the options menu, I have the camera config set to "Standard." I have it set this way in all my CM games. 

On 3/2/2021 at 10:33 PM, IICptMillerII said:

Ach, you're right Ian. Bit of a brain fart from me. Zooming the camera is ZX, raising and lowering is the scroll wheel. Doh...

Although you are sort of right that raising/lowering the camera height is often similar to 'zoom in/out' in other games. Zoom in CM (ZX) is like a camera zoom. 

Navigating the game is very easy, but I suggest using a mouse with as many programmable buttons as possible. Assign camera movements to it. I also -use an old Nostromo speedpad controlling the entire game effortlessly and quickly. Faster than any other RTS I've played.

I use default camera set up, and the tab button (lock camera) most of the time via middle mouse button. Camera instantly flies to and locks. Then use mouse wheel to zoom in and out.

I have camera views 1 - 6 too for quick jumps tied to buttons.

The front and back mouse buttons I have as =, - to cycle through units forward and back.

Wide and zoom tied to mouse wheel on Nostromo.

Another one that is very handy is F12, select last unit. Re-selects if you accidentally de-select a unit, and also allows jumping back and forth between two units not in =. - order.

The thing about CM is the camera is different in that ii uses the right mouse button for slow panning. I think the camera in CM is the BEST of any game with it's tremendous range and angles available. Controlling it too is awesome once you get organized and get the hang of it. Camera usually makes or breaks games for me often too lose and limited.

Its funny, we've been playing this game so long that the camera controls have become second nature. If someone asks how to do it we need to actually think about what buttons and mouse movements we're using. Oh yeh. Z and X and C and V, left mouse button, right mouse button - that's how I've been doing it all along! :wacko: