Question about Tigers

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

In the editor, you can choose the vehicle to be immobilised.

But wouldn't they be a bit more inclined to bail if they come under fire?

Or maybe that's only if the immobilisation was the result of in-game enemy fire. Yes, I suppose their morale would still be unaffected.

Edited by John1966

2 hours ago, John1966 said:

But wouldn't they be a bit more inclined to bail if they come under fire?

Or maybe that's only if the immobilisation was the result of in-game enemy fire. Yes, I suppose their morale would still be unaffected.

No, the game AI isn't that advanced. If you make the vehicle immobilised from the beginning, the crew acts normal apart from that they can't move.

I don't even think it affects morale if the tank gets immobilised during the battle. Only if crewmembers (or their buddies in other tanks) get killed.

Edited by Bulletpoint

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

If you make the vehicle immobilised from the beginning, the crew acts normal apart from that they can't move.

Ah, right. That explains their reluctance to bail.

4 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I don't even think it affects morale if the tank gets immobilised during the battle.

Didn't know that either. I suppose it depends on how they got immobilised. I always assumed it affected morale because often they were under fire. But thinking about it, they don't ever bail when ground conditions cause it. I must pay closer attention to the morale status when that happens.

Cheers

On 1/14/2021 at 6:04 PM, Artkin said:

Angle of the shot should be unimportant as bazooka rounds are high explosive anti tank (heat) rounds with a shaped charge inside that penetrates any angle. A bazooka surely has enough penetration power to dig through any part of a tiger. Not sure why the troops didnt bail if their engine was fried. Happens all the time to me. 

Artkin,

This is flatly untrue. HEAT is highly sensitive to angle of strike, for that determines a number of things, such as the effective thickness of armor needing to be penetrated. If. the angle of strike is low enough, the HEAT projectile may ricochet or not detonate at all. Evaluation of destroyed tanks in the 1967 War showed that HEAT projectiles could be rendered nonfunctional or deflagrated by such things as lifting eyes, headlight flanges and such. Sometimes toolboxes sufficed to defeat HEAT by acting as spaced armor. Most of the rear turret proper of a Tiger 1 is protected by that large stowage box, which would make superb spaced armor, given the massive air gap. HEAT is highly sensitive to strike angle but insensitive to. impact velocity in that period. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

On 1/20/2021 at 12:17 AM, Lethaface said:

They take morale hits when there's shots penetrating their vehicle though, even without kills. Also large calibre non penetrating hits can spook a crew if they don't see the shooter. 

Penetrations yes. Not so sure about non-penetrating large calibre. I think it might depend on whether the shot could have gone through.

36 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

SU-152s could knock out a Tiger (or pretty much anything else) with HE.....I recall reading a contemporary account where a crewman described his tank as 'ringing like a bell' after a bit of Zveroboi rough love!  ;)

True the ISII the same the 122mm shell jammed at least the turret if not penetrating, let alone the SU-152. Just the rate of fire let those beasts down. 

On 1/24/2021 at 4:19 PM, Bulletpoint said:

Penetrations yes. Not so sure about non-penetrating large calibre. I think it might depend on whether the shot could have gone through.

I am sure. At least a while ago had some M8 HMCs and they were getting spooked by .50 rattling their armor, not penetrating.