I'm sure we've seen this. I found it fascinating

1 hour ago, Erwin said:

He did not come from the aristocratic BG of all the other senior commanders who based their positions on privilege and entitlement.    

He was a member of the Anglo-Norman-Irish aristocracy. His grandfather was a "Sir" and one of the biggest landowners in north-west Ireland. His father was a Bishop, and he himself went to the best private school in London. And whilst at Sandhurst he was a silver-spooned bully. But uvver than that 'e woz just like any uvver salt ov the erth cockney barrer boy, 'no' wot I mean Jon?

7 minutes ago, LongLeftFlank said:

Well, I am shamefaced to confess that, in violation of my sacred vows to CMBN before God, I have been wantonly flirting of late with the Vassal version of AH 'The Longest Day', which is at a scale where the above kind of strategic question is more relevant.

I bought the original version of that game when we switched from £1 notes to £1 coins With, wait for it... 64 coins. The guy behind the counter was not amused.

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

He was a member of the Anglo-Norman-Irish aristocracy. His grandfather was a "Sir" and one of the biggest landowners in north-west Ireland. His father was a Bishop, and he himself went to the best private school in London. And whilst at Sandhurst he was a silver-spooned bully. But uvver than that 'e woz just like any uvver salt ov the erth cockney barrer boy, 'no' wot I mean Jon?

You clearly don't understand the Brit class system.  That would be considered lowly by the true toffs.  To put the class system in context, Princess Di came from such a background but was widely considered to be a "commoner".

• 3 weeks later...