Buddy aid question

I know that in the great scheme of VPs etc. that this doesn't matter (I think) but I'm curious.

I played a scenario in which I took only two casualties.

Both had the light red cross base (as opposed to the dark red skull & crossbones) so both wounded rather than dead.

One was buddy aided off and one wasn't (scenario ended soon after he was wounded).

In the AAR I expected to see 2 wounded, 0 dead.

But actually there was 1 wounded and 1 dead.

So what happened to my pixeltruppen? They don't die if you don't buddy aid them (as far as I'm aware - I've had loads of non-buddy aided wounded before and they weren't all dead in the AAR).

Can they expire after evac?

Either case would be realistic but they don't go from wounded to dead during a game, so why after?

Never noticed it before as there's usually too many casualties. Only noticed here because of the low numbers.

Which one expired and why?

IIRC there is a 1 in 4 chance for a wounded casualty to die after the scenario ends if not buddy aided. So if you have four wounded men, chances are at least one of them will die. Eight wounded, two will probably die, etc. You just got unlucky with that one guy.

It doesn't affect anything otherwise, but it can be fun to see how far you can keep your KIAs down during a scenario.

Wounded casualties can also be killed during a scenario too. I've seen wounded casualties get hit by bullets and die, or get killed when an artillery shell lands right on top of them, etc. I've even seen pixeltruppen shoot wounded casualties on the ground and kill them almost like they did it on purpose. It can be kinda funny sometimes.

Edited by Bozowans

I've definitely seen wounded become KIA if hit by artillery, and I refrain from shelling an area if I know some of my wounded are there, even if (as has been said) it really makes no difference in terms of VPs. In actual fact, KIA is probably preferable to WIA in game terms, as you can strip the body of weapons and ammo faster.

2 hours ago, Cpl Steiner said:

I've definitely seen wounded become KIA if hit by artillery, and I refrain from shelling an area if I know some of my wounded are there, even if (as has been said) it really makes no difference in terms of VPs. In actual fact, KIA is probably preferable to WIA in game terms, as you can strip the body of weapons and ammo faster.

Depends on how the VPs are structured.

14 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Does anyone know if it makes a bigger difference in a campaign format (ie: are wounded dudes who receive buddy aid more likely to appear in the next mission regardless of the campaign script)?

Don't quote me on this but I thought anyone who was a proper casualty (as opposed to light wounded) was out for the duration. Back to Blighty or out for weeks/months.

On 12/6/2020 at 3:26 PM, John1966 said:
On 12/6/2020 at 3:12 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Does anyone know if it makes a bigger difference in a campaign format (ie: are wounded dudes who receive buddy aid more likely to appear in the next mission regardless of the campaign script)?

Don't quote me on this but I thought anyone who was a proper casualty (as opposed to light wounded) was out for the duration.

Yep, most of those boys are headed home and the rest at least to the rear for an extended period. As for the lightly wounded (yellow icon still fighting) guys I'm not sure if they stay that way in the next battle of a campaign or not.

It can sometimes add real drama to the game.....I had a an injured dude get trapped between a burning BMP-2, a hedge and the corner of a house.  The combination of vehicle & terrain meant I couldn't get a unit in position to give buddy aid, so I had to re-route an engineer section half way across the map to Blast the hedge away and give buddy-aid, with the occasional round cooking off in the BMP the whole time!  :wacko:

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

had to re-route an engineer section half way across the map to Blast the hedge away and give buddy-aid, with the occasional round cooking off in the BMP the whole time!

That type of mini-drama that CM2 is able to provide is part of what makes the game so much fun.  Similarly, it's much more fun when one has several mini-battles going on all over a large-ish map.  

Edited by Erwin

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

It can sometimes add real drama to the game.....I had a an injured dude get trapped between a burning BMP-2, a hedge and the corner of a house.  The combination of vehicle & terrain meant I couldn't get a unit in position to give buddy aid, so I had to re-route an engineer section half way across the map to Blast the hedge away and give buddy-aid, with the occasional round cooking off in the BMP the whole time!  :wacko:

+1.  Leave no Pixeltroopen behind. 

20 hours ago, John1966 said:

If you get buddy aid right you can lose a whole squad trying to bandage one guy.

That can happen in RL and also in RL in a situation like that where it's too dangerous to rescue a comrade, he gets left - at least until the enemy is dealt with.  Have to use judgement.