Why won't my halftrack fire?

Playing Colossal Crack. British infantry in M5 halftracks (yes, they are manned). Haven't fired a shot. Not one of them. Been given target orders (area fire and specific targets) and they've spotted bad guys. 45 minutes in and not one has fired a shot. Tried orders to both the halftrack and the crew. Nothing. Every single one will not fire. What am I doing wrong?

Edited by John1966

I shouldn't be reading this as my next game (after a certain play-test that I'm being embarrassingly slow about, sorry @rtdood) was going to be an Axis defense of Colossal Crack.  Or is that a bad idea? 

Anyway, perhaps your British chaps have LOS but not LOF?  Probably barking up the wrong tree, as I already know this is a fairly flat map and I'm not sure whether LOS/LOF is that different on M5s?

1 hour ago, Vacilllator said:

Anyway, perhaps your British chaps have LOS but not LOF? 

If it was a one-off oddity, I'd assume that was the case. But it's every single incident. I've got red target lines from them. Not a single shot has been fired.

I wouldn't worry about the spoiler too much. All you know is the Brits have some halftracks and their MGs don't work. ;)

3 hours ago, mjkerner said:

Did you open them up?

Do I have to? Never bothered with German halftracks and they fire OK. My Bren carriers have been firing with gay abandon without an open up order (including the sitting over the side firing with a Sten).

Is this something in a patch since I last played?

Apologies to @Vacilllator for giving away the presence of the Queen of the Battlefield.

Edited by John1966

I've just run a little test. In this battle some of your M5s contain both a Rifle Section and a Platoon HQ. 

When you give a Target and Open Up command to the M5 one of the riflemen will man the gun and fire. In a later turn if you dismount the Rifle Section a member of the HQ Section will then take over on the gun without a new Target order needing to be given. Even if you then dismount the HQ the Target order remains in place, and firing will resume when you remount. 

Happy shooting.

11 minutes ago, John1966 said:

Right, I have learned a thing.

It's not that obvious John so no embarrassment. 

Unlike my lesson, learned earlier this week.  For some reason I had lived life without the knowledge of the 'Clear minefield' command for flail tanks, so assumed driving them through a suspected minefield (yes I know, not at the 1.5 mph they supposedly flailed at 🙄) would have the desired effect.  Sadly the Crocodile following behind took the brunt of my foolishness.  No casualties thankfully, even with a full trailer in tow, but immobilized (notice my American-ness here 😉) nevertheless. 

Question - as this is in a campaign, will the Crocodile be repaired before the next battle or am I being the eternal optimist once more?

3 minutes ago, John1966 said:

I was playing a CW scenario a while back and the briefing said that historically there were two flail tanks but CM doesn't model flail tanks. Are they in some module I don't have?

I bought the BN Bundle, but a quick check suggests they're part of the 'Vehicle Pack' which perhaps you don't have?

@John 1966Yes, flail tanks were introduced in the Vehicle Pack. And are used in a couple of community made campaigns, "For King and Country" which is set in June and "Operation Clipper" which is in the Autumn.

Meanwhile remember that dismounted tank crew can be used in your M5s if they have got nothing better to do. Of course, being from the Fife and Forfar Yeomanry they might head off to the nearest radio to check the footy results ... East Fife 4 - Forfar 5.

Edited by Warts 'n' all

33 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Meanwhile remember that dismounted tank crew can be used in your M5s if they have got nothing better to do.

Funny you should mention that. I was wondering that last night. Never actually tried it.

That's actually pretty useful. I've got quite a few crews sitting around.

I've also got a couple of tanks with the MA and MG out so I've just returned them to the rear. So they could dismount and man the halftracks.

(I've considered having the neutralised tanks advancing with everyone else to provide extra targets but that seems ruthless, unsporting and more than a bit gamey)

I'm quite sure that at least in CMSF2 you don't need to open up with Hummvees in order to allow them target and actually put rounds down range. I think it is similar for WW2 halftracks, but not 100%. Now that I think of it that may depend on whether there is an actual gunner in the crew or whether the passengers need to man the weapon?

Edited by Lethaface

On 11/24/2020 at 6:36 PM, John1966 said:

I was playing a CW scenario a while back and the briefing said that historically there were two flail tanks but CM doesn't model flail tanks. Are they in some module I don't have?

And if I recall right, there are even two scenarios for the flail tanks.🤔

The VP is a „questionable investment“, more like a collectors item. You don‘t need it, but you have to have it.😎