Red icons are blinking

First time I am seeing this on my computer. This is with the latest CMSF2 patch (2.04).

When I am selecting a blue unit, the red icons are blinking. Everything fine if no units are selected or if I am selecting a red unit. This is only when I am selecting a blue unit.

Am I the only one to see this?

I haven't seen this myself. When you patched to 2.04, what was your previous version, 2.02 or 2.03 ? The install notes for the 2.04 patch mentioning the need to be at 2.02 or later. However I don't know what would be missing if you updated a 2.01/2.0 installation of CMSF2 since the 2.04 patch has the 2.01, 2.02 and 2.03 .brz graphics patches.

DirectX 12 patches should have no influence on the game, which is actually utilizing the OpenGL API. Video drivers on the other hand could potentially affect what you're seeing. What video card and drivers do you have installed ? Possibly updating the video drivers MAY help with this issue (if there is an update). Not all updated drivers result in better performance or fixed issues (occasionally CAUSING new issues).

Is the game being run in 'real time' or is this a turn-based game ? I assume the problem continues as the clock is running and not happening only in paused situations, is that correct ? What is the 'Skill Level' setting ? Do you have any mods installed, especially graphic mods ?

I stand corrected... I am seeing this. I selected a QB with all-infantry that has been automatically chosen, Elite skill level/mode and in the Attack as the blue/allied player. I patched the system from 2.02 to 2.04 and there are no mods installed. The red icons only blink when a blue unit is selected. In this case all of the contacts have not been verified yet and are only 'infantry with ?'. They are in one general location on the map with no physical 3D models for these red units present as of yet.

The 2.04 patch supposedly only addresses an issue with the Javelin guidance, while the 2.03 patch included some changes/fixes to certain elements of the UI. I'm currently playing with a Geforce GTX 2070 Super using the 446.14 drivers.

In the case presented in the video not all of the contacts/spots are blinking, which suggest some sort of issue/feature with the game engine itself. When a friendly unit is selected only the enemy contact/spots that that particular unit should see (or possibly see/suspect) should be shown. However it appears that instead of having the contacts/spots that a particular unit CANNOT see just disappear from the map, they instead 'blink'. The ones that it can see/suspect remain unblinking. If this behavior is consistent, then I can only guess that a 'feature' has crept in somehow without being documented in the patch notes (always a possibility).

It appears my explanation that unseen contacts 'blinking' for individually selected units isn't quite accurate since clicking in the open/unselecting an unit will show all known/suspected contacts that aren't shown at all when an individual unit is selected. So I'm unsure what the exact nature of the blinking contact/spotted icons truly suggests, but their selective nature definitely seems to indicate that this is something the game engine is doing and not some external issue (drivers, etc.).

Hmm. Quick test and I got it too. And you're right, it's pretty annoying!

If I had to guess, it's the unit in question trying to process conflicting incoming info-shares in realtime. The icons have always had little jumps and blinks as information changes, fades or solidifies... but it usually updates every 5-10 seconds or so, not all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just figured I’d see if I can help diagnose what’s going on here. Just purchased this game off steam this morning. I was playing a Warrior skill game in real-time as blue against red. 

I very rarely play real time, so I brushed it off as something that SF2 was trying to model.

So far it only seems to affect real time games, and apparently the difficulty doesn’t matter with regards to spotting either. 

• 1 year later...

I am now playing turn based PBEM more than real time. But, just to know, was this problem fixed? Will we have it inside the incoming patch for the Matrix/Slitherine PBEM++ and Tournament systems?

By the way, at the same time, any chance to introduce the MQ-1 Predator drone by patch? Is it something feasible at low cost? I would love to have it in CMSF2 even if a plane can do it.

Thanks