BUG mg jeeps

I remember bringing this up way back, but forgot the outcome. All the authentic footage on tv of ww2 jeeps with  .50cal and .30cal, the gun is almost resting on the windshield but in game it is way above and soldier is standing what gives? Is the mount telescopic? Why would you want to stand and fire and expose your entire body? Game should make it lower with the gunner sitting.

Edited by user1000

A quick google neither confirms nor denies it.  For example:

Photo] Jeep mounted with a Browning M1919 machine gun, somewhere in the  Pacific, 1943-1945; note hulk of Japanese Type 95 Ha-Go light tank | World  War II Database

To me the gunner is just about standing, and if he aimed lower would probably raise himself up?

It is a Pacific photo but not sure they had a different MG mount?  Also I don't know whether the mount is adjustable for height?  I should google some  more...

Edited by Vacilllator

8 hours ago, user1000 said:

I remember bringing this up way back, but forgot the outcome. All the authentic footage on tv of ww2 jeeps with  .50cal and .30cal, the gun is almost resting on the windshield but in game it is way above and soldier is standing what gives? Is the mount telescopic? Why would you want to stand and fire and expose your entire body? Game should make it lower with the gunner sitting.

A bit of Googling on the subject - 'cos I got nuttin' better to do ... 😉

The Jeep used the M31A/C mount for the .50 or .30 cal (and BAR apparently). The pintle part at the top was used across all sorts of mounts - easier manufacturing and replacement. The column only housed a socket at the top - no telescoping.

Nice pdf of a field manual here - page 5 is pretty explanatory.

Now for some pictures ...

eheHDG4.jpg

Hootin' Annie - that'll do nicely. To use in AA roll the gunner would need to stand outside to get the elevation. Otherwise, he can stay pretty much seated to fire that thing.

cRKPCnM.jpg

Pretty simple construction ...

LddoJQB.jpg

... all just bolted into the base of the jeep. This doesn't show the travel lock - the long, angled bar that you can see in front of the gunner in the photo above.

Tc6vbYl.jpg

These guys went a little bit too far - 37mm AT gun! This was a thing apparently - must of kicked like a buckaroo when they fired it.

mJ4WD6D.jpg

Just plain silly...

Now back to bocage ...

3 hours ago, user1000 said:

it doesn't look telescopic

As you say, it’s not. It’s just a simple rotating pintle mount in a socket on top of a hollow post. All evidence would suggest that the GI could sit on the back seat rest to fire the MG for ground targets, or dismount to get high elevations for AA fire. There’s not much room to stand in the rear of a Jeep, especially with the .50 mounted. So would seem that the model needs to be redone.

21 hours ago, user1000 said:

It seems that the gunner would sit on the spare tire or luggage pile.

I'm still not sure, some photos look like that, others don't. One of us is going to have to buy an old jeep mounted with a 30 cal or 50 cal and confirm exactly which positions are required 😉.  Hopefully not me as I have my eyes on a beautiful T34/85 in a local scrapyard.  I kid you not, I've already asked and was told it's not for sale 😔.

Edited by Vacilllator

32 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

A T34/85 driven by someone on scrumpy would be quite a sight.

We're not all on scrumpy round here.  But if I had to recommend a cider it would be Roger's from Mudgley, http://wilkinscider.com/

Roger is taking orders, but sadly not to everywhere in the far flung areas of the world. 

I'm not on commission by the way 😉

Anyway we should be talking about CM, should we not?

Edited by Vacilllator

a T 34 in the united kingdom ????
I didn't remember that it invaded !!!
a document not usual, seen from the interior of an armored jeep with seen on the assembly of the 30
the photo was taken on August 12, 44 in Alençon, the soldier is a French from the 2nd AD Leclerc

201008123636418243.jpg

2 minutes ago, Falaise said:

a T 34 in the united kingdom ????
 Leclerc

Imagine my surprise (or perhaps joy) when I was asked to go there for window fastenings!  I should however find out the manufacture date of the T34/85 before I try to buy it...

Nice picture of the Leclerc jeep by the way.

That's two different T-34s in the UK's two biggest cider producing regions.....Clearly evidence of a(nother) Russian plot (no doubt involving Novichok**)!  :o

Quick.....Call 77th Brigade, only they can save us from such fiendishness.  :rolleyes:

**  Novichok - The world's least deadly 'lethal nerve agent'.....A one in five kill ratio sucks!  :lol:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

That's two different T-34s in the UK's two biggest cider producing regions

Two more in Devon as well, seen below at Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset.  Plus there's at least one more inside on display.

Nice video.  Interesting to see that tank fans were socially distant even in July 2019 😄.

Edited by Vacilllator

Russia just hasn't got around to you lot yet.....Mark my words, your time will come!  :ph34r:

Mysterious badly restored late-production T-34s will eventually pop up in Caen and then suddenly your politicians & political emigrees will begin to not die of 'lethal nerve agent' poisoning too!  :D

PS - Is it my imagination, or have we strayed somewhat from the original topic of discussion?  ;)

PPS - TBH I'm not sure how the length of a pole on a 3d model of a Jeep manages to fall into the category of 'Bug' in the first place.  :rolleyes:

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead