Victory Conditions

I am making an scenario based on the June 11th Battle for Grainges south of Carentan. On the night of June 6th elements of the 501st and 507th PIR were dropped as far as 18 miles south of their drop zones. They landed in the marshes near Graignes.  Realizing  they were in a good position to stop or delay any German reinforcements moving to Carentan they decided to dig in and hold out until relieved by elements of the invasion force. By the 10th they numbered less than 190 men including 2 scouts from the 29th ID which had gotten lost and stumbled into town.

On the 10th of June the 17th SS Panzergrenadier Reg 38 recon units discovered their position and but quickly driven off. On the 11th the Germans launched a major attack against the town. Over the course of the day the paratroopers inflicted heavy causalities on the Germans (some estimates say 800 dead and 1000 wounded) before abandoning their position and moving north.  About 100 paratroopers eventually managed to link up with their units.

My question...... Victory conditions

The object of the Germans is to take the town and all it's road intersections and destroy the paratroopers. The paratroopers want to stop or slow the German advance and get away with as many men as possible. Setting victory conditions on territory and causalities is easy, as is giving credit for units exiting the game. What I need to know is if it is possible to restrict the Paras from leaving the game until the Germans reach a trigger point or a time has been reached.

Any help will be appreciated!

1 hour ago, LiveNoMore said:

What I need to know is if it is possible to restrict the Paras from leaving the game until the Germans reach a trigger point or a time has been reached.

The direct answer is as @Xorg_Xalargsky said.

If you are programming this behaviour with the AI you can do it with triggers - they will not with draw until the enemy reaches the trigger point. A human player would not face such restrictions.

There are a couple of other things you could do:

1. Forget the exit requirement and just make the time tight for the attacker. If the defender can delay the attacker from getting the town they win.
  2. Make it so the points mean that if the defender just abandon their positions they get a loss of some level. Allocate the points so that they can only win if they cause enough casualties or prevent them from getting the town.

I guess that if it fits within your basic scenario idea...

You could make a small part of the para-force arrive as reinforcements. Late...AT THE DESIRED TIME...

Give this para reinforcement unit a high/ very high UNIT-objective value for getting KILLED (points to the germans)..

This will kind of force the remaining part of the para force to remain in place to provide a 'buffer zone'  to allow this high value target to escape to the exitzone without taking much fire.

Ones this unit is secured and of the map. the remaining paras can leave...

It will be up to the player to decide how large a force he will need to keep behind to protect the extraction of the high value unit...The others can exit as desired...

Maybe this high value unit could be the battalion HQ for example. Arriving at a weakened state and very low o ammo and morale simulating that the commander have gotten wounded and that the safe extraxtion of this unit is of the highest priority...

If the bulk of the paras leaves before this unit is save. It will be garantied to get killed by the germans...

Mission failure ! Or at best a draw if other objectives have been met...

2 hours ago, LiveNoMore said:

The object of the Germans is to take the town and all it's road intersections and destroy the paratroopers. The paratroopers want to stop or slow the German advance and get away with as many men as possible.

If I understand you correctly, the Germans have the focus of taking the town back at any cost, while the Americans are to inflict as many casualties as possible while taking the least themselves. The town itself is less important to the Americans than slowing down the Germans and making them pay is. If I have your overall plan correct, here is how I would consider setting up the scoring.

For the Germans: 1000 total points

No friendly casualty points.

Set terrain objective point values at 800 of the total points.

Set Enemy casualty points at 200.

For the terrain objectives, if using four objectives, set the values as 40, 80, 160 and 520 points each. The 520 point objective will be the one furthest from the start point. 

This should give the German player a great desire to push into the town as over 50% of their total points is tied up in the one objective. 

For the Americans: 1000 total points.

Friendly casualties set at 400 points

Enemy casualties set at 500 points

Terrian objectives set at 100 points. Using the same ratio as for the Germans, you would objectives worth 5, 10, 15, and 70 points each. The 70 point objective will be the rally point before exiting the map. 

Give the Americans an exit zone but no must exit units. This will allow them to leave the map, preserving friendly casualty points and denying the Germans points for causing casualties.

To encourage the American player to stay on the map and fight it out as long as possible, set the Germans to arrive on the map in waves of reinforcements. The player would either need to decimate the first troops or make sure to hang around long enough to engage as many enemy as possible. 

Playtesting will determine what the threshold levels should be for the casualties. 

21 hours ago, LiveNoMore said:

The paratroopers want to stop or slow the German advance and get away with as many men as possible. Setting victory conditions on territory and causalities is easy, as is giving credit for units exiting the game. What I need to know is if it is possible to restrict the Paras from leaving the game until the Germans reach a trigger point or a time has been reached.   

I think there are several things that can be done to accomplish what you want as far as scoring goes.  If I'm understanding this correctly I don't think the solution has to be very complicated (admittedly maybe I'm not fully understanding). 

The Germans, of course, get points for taking terrain objectives and destroying para units.  The objective of the paras is to destroy German units so the German units are destroy unit objectives for the paras.  A human player can exit his paras very early in the scenario if he chooses however he would get a defeat (level of defeat decided by you) since he did not stay long enough to destroy enough German units.   Some German units can arrive as reinforcements later in the scenario and be worth more points than the German units that started on the map.  The paras will want/need to stay around and inflict as many casualties as possible before they exit.  

Also, a question.  Is the scenario intended to be player vs player or player vs AI or both?   

Edited by MOS:96B2P