Excellent Falklands Documentary

Sublime

Whow. Great catch! Though, a little different from the Falkland War documentaries, which I‘ve seen till today. 😎

I found the historical part in the beginning interesting. I did not know or remember, how contested the Islands where in the past few hundred years.

The rest, gosh, though it’s qitevfunny, it’s frightening. It seems quite recent and raises a certain fear of new and old nationalism. But probably Argentinians nationalists are not the most frightening nationalists right now.

Edited by StieliAlpha

7 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The bit with the Ghurkha in particular made me ROFL quite hard!  ;)

Lol classic Im gonna watch it again hehe

CHISPA!

(The way they drew the english people and their evil cackle is hilarious to me)

Oh ya.. I just watched it again.  Woww ya I somehow missed that gurkha part the first time!! Epic!

Edited by Sublime

One of my favourite bars / restaurant is Gurkah owned. Great real ale, lovely simple tasty food, swift & efficient service and never a hint of trouble 😉

Highly recommended even Argentinians would be warmly welcomed. 🙂

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190735-d4297147-Reviews-The_Britannia_Gurkha_Restaurant_and_bar-Colchester_Essex_England.html

• 4 weeks later...

I remember well at the time of the Falklands War how we were told that there was positively no oil involved.  But, today it seems the territory gives UK rights down into the Antarctic and it was about the oil.  I wonder how early it was known that oil was an issue.

I loved Buenos Aires when I was first there 20+ years ago.  It's a lot more touristy now.

Edited by Erwin

2 hours ago, Erwin said:

I wonder how early it was known that oil was an issue.

Oh a long time ago.....But back then they were mostly worried about the sort that came from whales. 

The discovery of the other kind is just fortunate happenstance for us and tough luck for Argentina.....Them's the breaks as they say**.  Let's be honest, the vast bulk of their population & indeed their language, aren't exactly native to the region either.  :mellow:

** On the other hand, the Saudis got really, really lucky.  :D

Edited by Sgt.Squarehead

8 hours ago, Erwin said:

I remember well at the time of the Falklands War how we were told that there was positively no oil involved.  But, today it seems the territory gives UK rights down into the Antarctic and it was about the oil.  I wonder how early it was known that oil was an issue.

I remember it being mentioned at the time. In fact, before Argentina invaded the UK had suggested that they and Argentina form a condominium to exploit mineral resources in the area. But the generals wanted it all and ended up with nothing instead.

Michael

On 5/25/2019 at 7:07 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Oh a long time ago.....But back then they were mostly worried about the sort that came from whales. 

The discovery of the other kind is just fortunate happenstance for us and tough luck for Argentina.....Them's the breaks as they say**.  Let's be honest, the vast bulk of their population & indeed their language, aren't exactly native to the region either.  :mellow:

** On the other hand, the Saudis got really, really lucky.  :D

Eh, as I remember, to us „not British“, it was made quite clear that the war was, at least partially, to maintain a foothold in Antartica. What other reason to fight for South Georgia? Not necessarily about oil, but everything, which may be found down there.

On 5/25/2019 at 2:01 AM, Kaunitz said:

Via Lindy Beige's latest video on tactical psychology https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRB9IU3Vt2g I came upon the book "War Games"  by Leo Murray which also featured an account of the battle at Longdon hill, which, in turn led me to this interesting video,

The guy narrating reminds me to a book, which I read a long time ago. “A Message from the Falklands”. Very recommendable. Basically a collection of letters home, sent by a Leftenant at Sea, who was stationed on the HMS Sheffield. Extremely touching to read how he changed from utter excitement to utter disillusion over a short period of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Hands down, that was the weirdest propaganda I've ever seen, this from a man who read the translation of the Soviet math book We Receive New Rifles in which math problems are depicted with AK-47 and F1 grenade silhouettes!. Have a bunch of connections to that the Falklands/Malvinas War. Brother Ed wrote a Harpoon module called South Atlantic War. It was so deeply researched and comprehensive that the Naval War College bought 100 copies for use as textbooks. He owns the official Argentina war history, too, which is in Spanish. I got to see the CONFIDENTIAL War Office Falklands War doc shortly after the war at a model club in California. Have absolutely no idea (given protracted periods for UK declassification) how the person showing the film got it, but oh, was it juicy. My favorite bit came from the yomp the paras had to make after their helos went down on the Atlantic Conveyor. The RSM, the very model of fitness with essentially no fat on him, was the first to drop out because he had none to metabolize to keep him going. Great was the men's mirth over this. Another connection is that I took a SECRET level naval warfare course for industry in San Diego, and one of the instructors was an RN officer whose buddy was on HMS Galahad (believe I got that right), which took a 1000-pound bomb smack into the hull, but didn't detonate. Speculation was it it didn't explode because it was dropped so close it didn't arm. Many hours of excitement aboard an important vessel, though. Saw brief mention of oil as the real reason for the war, and the Rockefellers were named, but that was it. Recall Bush Senior offered up all kinds of justifications for the first Persian Gulf War but ultimately came clean, saying "It's about the oil." How many others have that as their veiled basis? Have seen some stuff along those lines regarding Syria, with a list of heavy hitters as investors, some familiar, others less so. RA in the Falklands/Malvinas War fired an average 1000 rounds per tube in the only battalion there. Rapier performance was overstated, and I believe the Blowpipe man-portable UK SAM got a kill. BLACK BUCK (Victor ultra long range bombing missions from Ascension Island) were most impressive), and we now know the US supplied tons of intel to the UK, together with the latest AIM-9L Sidewinder dogfight missiles which, unlike all their predecessors, were all-aspect, rather than rear attack only. Argentinian pilots were trained by the US Navy, too.

Regards,

John Kettler

12 hours ago, John Kettler said:

"It's about the oil."

This seems to be at the root of most of the troubles that have plagued the Middle East for over a century. From the time that oil was discovered (at about the time that the Royal Navy, followed by the rest of the world's major navies, was converting to oil from coal, thus making oil a strategic resource), Western governments have stuck their noses into the region with little thought to the effects on the societies living there. Certainly there has always been and perhaps always will be tribal conflicts there. But it's a long throw from muzzle loading muskets to tanks, jets, and all the other paraphernalia that those tribes could now afford to purchase in quantity.

Michael

On 6/10/2019 at 7:27 PM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Elon Musk will save us.....Then we can nuke them all back into the stone age, where they do seem happiest TBH.  :mellow:

Eh, who is „them“?🤔

Just to make that I am not on the wrong side. But then, as I recall, a nuke blast does not really have sides. Now it really is time for the sun glasses.😎

On 6/10/2019 at 5:46 AM, John Kettler said:

Guys,

Hands down, that was the weirdest propaganda I've ever seen, this from a man who read the translation of the Soviet math book We Receive New Rifles in which math problems are depicted with AK-47 and F1 grenade silhouettes!. Have a bunch of connections to that the Falklands/Malvinas War. Brother Ed wrote a Harpoon module called South Atlantic War. It was so deeply researched and comprehensive that the Naval War College bought 100 copies for use as textbooks. He owns the official Argentina war history, too, which is in Spanish. I got to see the CONFIDENTIAL War Office Falklands War doc shortly after the war at a model club in California. Have absolutely no idea (given protracted periods for UK declassification) how the person showing the film got it, but oh, was it juicy. My favorite bit came from the yomp the paras had to make after their helos went down on the Atlantic Conveyor. The RSM, the very model of fitness with essentially no fat on him, was the first to drop out because he had none to metabolize to keep him going. Great was the men's mirth over this. Another connection is that I took a SECRET level naval warfare course for industry in San Diego, and one of the instructors was an RN officer whose buddy was on HMS Galahad (believe I got that right), which took a 1000-pound bomb smack into the hull, but didn't detonate. Speculation was it it didn't explode because it was dropped so close it didn't arm. Many hours of excitement aboard an important vessel, though. Saw brief mention of oil as the real reason for the war, and the Rockefellers were named, but that was it. Recall Bush Senior offered up all kinds of justifications for the first Persian Gulf War but ultimately came clean, saying "It's about the oil." How many others have that as their veiled basis? Have seen some stuff along those lines regarding Syria, with a list of heavy hitters as investors, some familiar, others less so. RA in the Falklands/Malvinas War fired an average 1000 rounds per tube in the only battalion there. Rapier performance was overstated, and I believe the Blowpipe man-portable UK SAM got a kill. BLACK BUCK (Victor ultra long range bombing missions from Ascension Island) were most impressive), and we now know the US supplied tons of intel to the UK, together with the latest AIM-9L Sidewinder dogfight missiles which, unlike all their predecessors, were all-aspect, rather than rear attack only. Argentinian pilots were trained by the US Navy, too.

Regards,

John Kettler

Ah ja, „Secret“ and „confidential“. Good that you say so...

On 6/11/2019 at 2:27 AM, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Elon Musk will save us.....Then we can nuke them all back into the stone age, where they do seem happiest TBH.  :mellow:

Ummm you do realize where all the special minerals come from that Elon musk and all that high tech gear needs comes from right?  And that is a pretty bigoted comment about the third world. If you were on the receiving end of the economic exploitation model I expect your views on the world might be significantly different.  What are you going to call them next “untermensch”?