CMBO-From out of the Dust

Originally posted by slysniper:

If you notice, we have a good mix in rankings, did not matter which side players were given, both sides have about the same results. [/QB]

Actually I did notice Mr. Miles only played the strong side in all 3 scenarios, and I played the weak side in all 3 and we both came out near the top of the pile while other players had a mix of the strong and weak side. I dont know what that means but I thought it was an interesting observation.

U8led

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, spill the beans Bert! Some those superior Dutch tactics no doubt...
Ok, Ok, I will ! By the way, you were "victim" of those superior dutch tactics and you didn't do too bad. Although you scored "only" two points instead of your usual three....

I surely ventilated my surprise and dissapointment about the score (mine to be more precise) in this game. (Perhaps mr. Kingfish can enlighten me on this aspect. My guess is that the way for the german side to put in a good score, is to exit a lot of the eligible forces.) What it made it even stranger was that one of my honourable opponent's M4 AC was parked in the middle of the most northern hamlet right in between my infantry. With this parking it took that flag. It wasn't even contested.

But I never asked for a re-evaluation of my score. Our very, very, very good tournament leader did that himself. As I understand it, the good Mr. Walker, my opponent in that game, mentioned the strangeness of he flag falling to him also to Sly. I think that helped too.

About The Last Road scenario itself: it sure was interesting. As I see it, it is very difficult for the german side to win this one. As german side you cannot leave the flags undefended, because if the road is cut by the americans, you will not be able to get your forces off the map. The road itself is too long to defend everywhere. At least you think that at the beginning, because you start with a really small force and don't know (I didn't read the american briefing) how large the american force is. So, I waited for the american move. Turned out he massed his forces at the exitzone. Never really attacked the villages. When I discovered that I assembled all my mechanized forces in an attempt to smash through his line. In the end it took to long to assemble everything and get to the exitzone. Needed two turns more.

Because some of the reinforcements (which only gave points when exited) arrived late in the game, it would have been difficult anyway to exit them before the end of the game.

About the AC in the hamlet: never saw it until the final map. I was only concentrated on the exitzone-area and in repulsing an attack on the southernmost town. I watched the movie later on in which the M4 drove in to town: it was shot at and hit by a 20mm AA, but in true CMAK style drove on and stopped in the town. As my infantry were "hiding", they didn't shoot at it. As I was stupid enough to watch only the other side of the map, I never gave the order to attack it. So it survived and just stayed there.

So much about my "superior" dutch tactics. ;)

Originally posted by Bert Hamoen:

I surely ventilated my surprise and dissapointment about the score (mine to be more precise) in this game. (Perhaps mr. Kingfish can enlighten me on this aspect. My guess is that the way for the german side to put in a good score, is to exit a lot of the eligible forces.)

That, and destroying a good number of allied units surely helps, both in points for kills and also to make the task of exiting easier.

OK Bert, thanks for satisfying my hungry curiousity! smile.gif Sounds like it was a very interesting game! Forgetting to check-up on certain areas of the map is easy to do, and I found myself making the same mistake several times.

I don't know, Bert... I still have great respect for Dutch military thought. The brilliance of your tactical mind has carried you into second place, and into a favorable position to win the tourney. Now, just get some good "Southern" American boys to lead, and you can't go wrong! ;)

As my infantry were "hiding", they didn't shoot at it. As I was stupid enough to watch only the other side of the map, I never gave the order to attack it. So it survived and just stayed there.

So much about my "superior" dutch tactics. ;) [/QB]

I wonder if maybe 'hiding' troops do not count toward flag possesion in the AAR.

It seems to me there was an issue in CMBO with split squads in the AAR, but I have forgotten the details.

-U8led

Sly

I don't think that I say this enough, but I really appreciate all the work that you are putting into this tourney.

Are we still aiming for one month to finish this round? Or will the extra game lenght push it out a little further

Since the first round was 6 weeks, I am planing on the second round being 6 weeks also. So will end at the end of November

As far as why I am doing it, I am still trying to figure that one out also. When I was younger, I tried my hand at designing games, found it to be more challenging than I thought. but also enjoyed the challenge. Now that I am older and do not dream of that anymore, this is about the only game where I can design something and get a little enjoyment out of it. So why not run a tourney with my own rule system and get the challenge and fun from having to hear the good and bad comments from you Guys. Plus I get more feed back here than if I posted these at the Proving Grounds or someplace like that. You would see 400 downloads and only 2 or 3 comments,

and they normally were not be consistant with each other. So I hope to get more feed back from you guys.

I have to add that these are just my favorite games also. Replaced ASL for me.

By the way, I thought and heard most australians preferred Victoria Bitter instead of Castlemaine Only those who live in Queensland, prefer Castlemaine. smile.gif

Ahh, you are a true Dutchman! ;) You know your beer markets around the world.

True, VB is the most popular beer. Mostly because it is cheap like the US Miller brand. Doesn't say much for the taste. Apologies I don't have a Dutch label to compare it to because all Dutch beer over here is expensive and everything from the Nederlands I've tasted so far has been pretty good. IIRC your wheat beers are superb. Tooheys is popular in NSW. XXXX Gold label is a mid strength beer and popular outside Queensland. I don't drink much commercial beer nowadays because I've got the home-brew going. My favourite is a lager, which is good in the ACT because it gets cold in winter and lager yeast works at low temps.

Back on topic - I've sent my setups to the Major and Walker but I had e-mail server problems last night. Please let me know if you didn't receive them.