CMBO-From out of the Dust

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erm second from last then - talking of the man mikado he has contacted me but he doesn't have any briefing notes from you?

I have tried the different addresses, they are not bouncing back, I do not know, but it appears that he is not getting stuff or have I seen one thing from him. At this point I do not know what to do to get stuff to him.

Seeing as the forum is quiet, as we are all busily playing the fantastic scenarios given by the Tourney Master - thought I would let you in on my trip to the tank musuem.

Its a trip I do at least once a year (without the wife or kids) and I usually concerntrate on a few veichles. I have done the Panzers to death but I did have a quick look! but spent much more time on the American AFVs. First stop was the only surviving DD Sherman in the world. I suppose they mean with the complete floatation equipment becasue I saw a Sherman DD in a Normady village near Arromanche a few years back? Then I looked at the Greyhound M8 and took lots of pictures because I am gonna make a 1/72 model. It is always a great day out! The best AFV is still their Tiger , however I always take time to look at the StugIII there becasue of the camo scheme.

OK better get back to it... smile.gif

as we are all busily playing the fantastic scenarios given by the Tourney Master.
You need to settle down with the comments. Now I am blushing. I knew kingfish would provide something worth playing because I have played enough of his work to know his skill level on scenario design. My Scenarios are actually my first that I have released out beyond my personal use, I have tinkered with designing since I have had the games.I know I can make something that works well for my desired standard of what I want in a Scenario, but as far as meeting others standards, I expect to get mixed reviews. I am just Glad you enjoy them.

In "Ghost in the fog" It is very hard to control your troops unless you know the secrets of infantry play. If you have them in the open, they will normally seek cover once they are fired on. If they start moving, they are much easier to kill. So one trick is to not have them in open terrain, even if it is night, foggy and there is a flag there. The second thing is, if you have a set position and do not want your main body of troops to be surprised by incoming fire, you must set up half squads as listening post in front of your troops to try to get the enemy units to pop up so that maybe you can get the jump and first fire with your main group on them.

Thus the reason for the title, Ghost in the fog, I am sure, many will experience troops dieing or running away from unknown enemies.

Just posted it, since one in the group was pulling his hair out because of how he is losing men to unknown things out there.

You might be far enough into the second round that you can post which of the 6 scenario's is your favorite, I would be interested in hearing from you all, which ones you like. It seemed that out of the first three, "What were we thinking" had a lot of good comments, But I would like to hear the take from you guys.

Alright then without getting into specifics.

The one that isn't Norrey or Ghost in the fog is my favourite at the moment. This may be because I am doing fairly well at it. However, I have noticed that I have to move slowly or risk being ambushed. This is where the defender has a big advantage in this game all the little bumps and right hand turn roads cut down LOS also the marsh tends to funnel your infantry.

Ghost in the fog started off really badly for me. Especially as I am one of the poor shmucks who can not support fog on my laptop. But I have learnt to control my troops now but don't look like getting that many flags.

Norrey supports an agressive opening German move in the first 10 turns (i'm guessing that most people are past this point) This move however, cuts down on the size of the map so that the map could have been a lot smaller because much of it isn't used.

As for the previous round, what were thinking looked great, But I also really liked the last road out. Would like to play that one again being aware of how it scored so instead of trying to rush my troops out I held some flags at the end.

cheers

Will

Better bump this back up before it disappears.

In the fog game I just liberated my ex-POW MMG, the first time that ever happened in any of my games. It suddenly popped up and I was so taken aback I almost shot it. Apparently the surviving gunner was well treated by the Germans though smile.gif .

Apparently the surviving gunner was well treated by the Germans though.

Was it still in possession of its MG ? If so, I fear i have to start shooting every POW because of the chance it will fight again.

I think I like Panzers in the Peel best too at the moment. It looks good and it "feels" good. Most importantly it plays good too ! To know where you've LOS and where not is very important (as I found out). In my opinion the attacker has the best chance to win, because of the fact that he is in the postion to choose where to attack. (I'm not aware of the exact make-up of the forces of the attacker, so maybe I'm wrong here).

My opponent Melb_will (as german) is very confident that he will win, but he hasn't convinced me yet !

I'm curious whether this battle is historical. The briefing indicates it, but I never heard of a battle this big in this time of the war in the Netherlands. The german forces seem a big large for this period.

Norrey supports an agressive opening German move in the first 10 turns (i'm guessing that most people are past this point) This move however, cuts down on the size of the map so that the map could have been a lot smaller because much of it isn't used.

I disagree: as the attacker you're not aware of the fact that the first portion of the map is empty (don't know the options of the defender). It is possible that guns or whatever are hidden so you have to tread carefull !

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I disagree: as the attacker you're not aware of the fact that the first portion of the map is empty (don't know the options of the defender). It is possible that guns or whatever are hidden so you have to tread carefull !

I will disagree with the disagree, I mention in the briefing to the Germans to be agressive. Your right about guns but I normally reward those that listen to commands in the briefing.

Taking your time in this one I believe rewards the allies. If you follow the briefing as the germans, You gain more time to clear the town since there is ground you can grab easily. Also when you do hit them anti tank defences you can take them on without the help of the reinforcements the allies receive. During playtesting the Germans paid heavy in tanks to break through the anti tank defence normally, but this would give them the advantage against the allied reinforcements if done quick enough because the germans could normally become somewhat the defender and cut off the allied reinforcements from supporting the town if they

had pushed forward far enough.

The best test is to see who is the most successful playing the Germans when scores come in. I hope the aggressive German playing will be the rewarded person. (Of course it takes more than just aggressive play to be awarded, poor tactics with aggressive play in this one will find the German losing to many tanks and game points to ever have a chance at producing a good score. (Can you tell I really do enjoy designing these scenario's ) :D:D:D

Originaly posted by SlySniper

The best test is to see who is the most successful playing the Germans when scores come in.

I can already tell you that will be my opponent Mr. KA Miles.

I have had zero fun in this one but I will admitt I did miss a very important detail in the briefing and assumed we started on oppisite sides of the river.

I cant wait until this one is over.

-U8led