CMBO-From out of the Dust

Melb_will

I have two out still and one has asked for a extension, so unless I get the Rest of "Last Road out" which is taking longer because of game length and amount of units, the extension game can go until the Last road out is also in. Which I am wondering if it is going to run long, time will tell.

quote: "Could you let me know when everyone has finished what were we thinking so we can discuss the OOB"

Now, this is sounding pretty "grog". I am in for any conversation but I need to warn you that I love to get insights from grogs. But I do not limit design to what historical documention has to offer. For one thing, combat units are more flexable than most grogs seem to think or will stait could not be.

I had a friend of my Dad's that served in Patton's Army as Recon for a armoured unit. Most of the time in a jeep that they had with more heavy weapons than a Platoon gets in this game.

No way, the grog's would really complain in this game if I did that.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, that is not so bad, Your correct. There should be a Company HQ, and it should have been there with the units, like I said, I miss setting up my leadership correct at times, so that should be added to the scenario.

I forget to start with the larger unit and cut out what I will not use in set up, then when I construct it and start adding things I forget my upper units at times. As mentioned earlier , it has made me think about how I should go about inserting units once again.

That's fine,

My thoughts on What were we thinking

At first thought the map looked great, Tom's bulge mod worked wonders and a bit of work at CMMods and All my troops were wearing winter gear.

I figured that the first set of woods provided reasonable grounds for an ambush. A delaying action here would also give my FOO a chance to drop some rounds on the enemy in the woods.

This worked out fairly well but I think in the end a rear slope defence at the main VL would have been a better bet.

cheers

Will

From all the set ups I have seen, no american unit set up had a reverse slope concept. I am afraid almost all the play test were more along that lines and the Americans did much better than if they tried to take the Germans on at any distance. Also I was surprised with poor placement of some units from what I saw, opening up to the Germans propably on turn one. If that happened to any of you, it sure did not need to.

Totally agree with Melb_will: the map looked great.

About playing the scenario: I put a platoon at the small VL near the road. Because of the groundconditions I thought it was to great a risk for the german side to drive through the snow. Turned out it wasn't a problem for the Panthers. His infantry went as a hot knife through my buttery platoon, partly because of its numerical superiority.

In hindsight perhaps it would have been better to concentrate all the defenses near/on the big VL.

About opening up to soon: I did with the howitzer, because I wanted a chance to kill some infantry while it was still a long way away. Of course it was taken out almost immediately by his tanks. But it is sometimes very difficult to stay patient and wait and let a chance of a good (at the time you think so anyway) opportunity go by.

I still think it is very difficult to win against an opponent who knows what he is doing and patiently, methodically plans his attack.

I could be proved wrong of course...

Bert

I completely agree with you about the tanks. I banked on them only being able to move by road. and had only a few infantry squad out to protect my flanks.

It was a bit of s suprise that the panthers made it through the snow for me. Although I think that on reflection I would have done the same again, the risk of losing a panther bogged was a big one that I would not bank on it being tried repeatedly

Will

The bog factor and speed of units in snow is dependant on the depth of the snow, to keep the map playable, the snow is not deep. The king tiger is the one that you do not want to remove from the road, that is almost a certain immobilization. Panthers were well designed for the snow, low ground pressure, nice wide tracks, light for the size of tank it was and so forth.

[ October 03, 2005, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: slysniper ]

Yes, I was one of the poor sods who got the Tiger stuck in the snow. :( Seemed smart at the time (Mines on the road?), and the resistance I encountered seemed rather light at that point. I dunno, seemed to make sense, but now I slap myself. I won't be driving any more Tigers in the snow, anyway. The Panthers just booked it right through, no problem! smile.gif

Yes, I am afraid so, one out in "the bloody stream". Two out in "what were we thinking and 3 out in "the last road out". I have one player slow playing and have already mentioned to him if all his matches do not pick up speed and come in completed I will drop him in round two, thus solving bye issues. Will see real soon how this plays out.I will likely wait out the week for these games, but once I get a few more, will likely just call the others in uncompleted.

Originally posted by K.A. Miles:

Yes, I was one of the poor sods who got the Tiger stuck in the snow. :( Seemed smart at the time (Mines on the road?), and the resistance I encountered seemed rather light at that point. I dunno, seemed to make sense, but now I slap myself. I won't be driving any more Tigers in the snow, anyway. The Panthers just booked it right through, no problem! smile.gif

I was playing the Americans defending and was suprised not to have any anti-tank mines? And on such a narrow road also - would have been a golden opportunity :( Also, I set the ambush at the first set of woods/trees - I did use the reverse slope - but not enough.

Anyway, it was a total slaugther for my troops and I am suprised that they still let me command them ;) Well, those that are still alive.

I expect all games turned in before the end of the weekend, in other words. Completed or not completed they need to be sent in. Everyone will go into the next round unless you want to drop out at this time or if it appears that you have not made a good effort to complete your first round matches (my decision). This will have been 6 weeks for the first round, it is time to move on. From most request for time extension it appears the 6 remaining matches could be completed if efforts are made.

I only have one player at the moment that I am questioning as to if I will take on into the next round because of slow play, all this will be determined once all the games are in this weekend.

Just for fun and just before the results are posted (I assume they will be posted soon…) here’s my best guess as to the average points distributions for the three games:

Bloody Stream – 55 pts Allied to 45 pts German

WWW Thinking – 65 pts German to 35 pts US

Last Road – haven’t a clue really, I’ll go with 51 pts German to 49 pts US

Originally posted by Neil aka Major Tum:

Sly - is it possible to have the scenarios sent to me?

I'd like that too, especially if you're planning to tweak the scenarios a bit on the basis of the results! Even the tiniest change to the OOBs would basically restore full fog of war and make them all the more replayable! A good company commander for the Germans in Bloody Stream would, for example, make a difference...

Originally posted by WARHAMMER:

Or a couple of blown bridges works fine too! tongue.gif

Yeah, blowing one of the bridges worked well for me too. I almost caught one of my opponents squads when the bridge exploded, but they hadn't quite reached the bridge when it was destroyed. It was just like that scene on a Bridge too Far, where the Americans trot up to the Son bridge, only to see it blown sky high! Yeah, I liked that scenario... :D

Talk away, say what you will, and shortly I will have the scores and results posted.

I will send out the scenario's, no problem. I do need to attach the briefings into them. Kingfish has modified his, he has a orig. version that is likely better, but I will send you what I have.

You can do anything you like to mine, I have no issues with someone modifying or using my scenario's in other ways.