Increasing WEGO turn time

I greatly enjoy PBEMs (WEGO). However, I wonder whether seasoned veterans of CM2 would support a WEGO mode that enables users to increase turn time. For example, instead of the standard 1 minute turn time, this could be increased to 2 minutes, perhaps up to 5 minutes. So during your turn you would be issuing orders knowing that you would not be able to reissue orders for another 2-5 in-game minutes. 

The benefits of this increased turn time are:

-faster PBEM battles (instead of being drawn out over 3 months, maybe only 1 month)

-a new challenge for CM2 gamers, requiring greater foresight and strategic thinking

What about an hour or more per turn?  That way we could let the AI play itself - and we could go off and do productive things... like get a life lol. 

Seriously tho' am all for more choices.  Some battles might benefit from short turns, others for longer.   But, again these issues all boil down to priorities in terms of what most players would pay for and what resources BF has.

6 hours ago, Pericles said:

I greatly enjoy PBEMs (WEGO). However, I wonder whether seasoned veterans of CM2 would support a WEGO mode that enables users to increase turn time. For example, instead of the standard 1 minute turn time, this could be increased to 2 minutes, perhaps up to 5 minutes. So during your turn you would be issuing orders knowing that you would not be able to reissue orders for another 2-5 in-game minutes. 

The benefits of this increased turn time are:

-faster PBEM battles (instead of being drawn out over 3 months, maybe only 1 month)

-a new challenge for CM2 gamers, requiring greater foresight and strategic thinking

The net effect would actually be probably the opposite.  You’d take a two minute turn and still issue the same orders so you’d have twice the file size and half the action. Extend that to 5 minutes and I think you’d find you would be getting bored.

You can already do the challenge by only issuing commands every other turn. 

6 hours ago, Pericles said:

<snipped>

Already discussed here . . . 

Not really embraced by community nor supported by Battlefront

9 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

I've always that minute of tension was perfect right from when I first played CMBO. Any longer, and I wouldn't have any nails left.

I don't bite my nails, but neither do I handle futility very well. Watching a disaster unfold for two or more minutes without being able to intervene might very well lead to an increase in my rage quits.

Michael

10 hours ago, Freyberg said:

I'm not really sure where all these ideas for changing the fundamental gameplay come from. A minute seems perfect to me. If you changed it, you'd have to change the kinds of commands you could issue - in fact it would become a completely different sort of game.

That's my thought as well. Scale—time as well as map or unit size—is so fundamental to the structure of a game that you can't go messing with it without changing just about everything else as well.

Michael

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 3:04 AM, Pericles said:

Reading the comments, I now believe it stands to reason that increasing turn time would screw with the gameplay. Nevermind. 

Correct...Actions in CM already happens way too fast compared to RL, and increasing the One-Minute Turn would definitely screw with Gameplay.