MMG/HMG Building Setup

So, what is the best way to move and setup MMG/HMGs in Buildings (obviously, no problem if already setup beginning of game).

It just seems to be a hit or miss situation half the time ever since the earlier versions...Still having problems in V4. 

Thanks, Joe

3 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

What specifically kinds of problems are you having?

Michael

When I move MG's in Buildings and use the Deploy Order (along with combinations of Face Commands, etc), they seem to just stay in Semi-Deploy Mode most of game. 

What do you do to successfully get MG's to Deploy properly in buildings ?

Edited by JoMc67

24 minutes ago, JoMc67 said:

When I move MG's in Buildings and use the Deploy Order (along with combinations of Face Commands, etc), they seem to just stay in Semi-Deploy Mode most of game. 

What do you do to successfully get MG's to Deploy properly in buildings ?

I think the problem is that when you get the MG to deploy in a building, issuing a facing command makes the team pack up the MG, change team facing, then start to deploy again. And since it takes several minutes to deploy a MG in a building, by repeated facing commands you might never see the gun deploy.

Also, a related problem is that sometimes, the team will decide to change facing on their own. Usually to engage a new target. Since the LOF from the gun is calculated from the exact window it's deplyed at, it seems if the team spots an enemy that the gun cannot target, they pack up to relocate to another window. Which means that your carefully placed MG is out of action for about 4 minutes, and when it finally redeploys, it won't have LOF to where you originally intended.

Edited by Bulletpoint

9 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think the problem is that when you get the MG to deploy in a building, issuing a facing command makes the team pack up the MG, change team facing, then start to deploy again. And since it takes several minutes to deploy a MG in a building, by repeated facing commands you might never see the gun deploy.

While I haven't tested this in v4, this is a phenomenon I have wrestled with in the past.
http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120293-mg-bridge-number-seven-slim-vs-john-kettler/?do=findComment&comment=1627871

When a machinegun sets up in a building, it does not like turning to face a new direction by more than a few degrees. If ordered to target something outside of that arc, the gunners will happily spend time undeploying the gun, moving, then redeploying the gun, which on average can take as much as 4 minutes. If you are trying to target something off a corner of a building, or slightly outside the view of any windows, the gunners will simply deploy the gun repeatedly, find they can't target, then deploy again endlessly.
My best advice, leave the gun semi-deployed if you have that option, or if you have to change facing on an MG that can't fire semi-deployed, your best bet is to exit the house and find a new position. It will save you much time and headache.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

IIRC moving a MG a "short distance" does NOT require a pack up and redeploy action.

I believe it does require that action - but the pack up / redeploy phases are just nearly instantaneous for short distances. Outside of buildings that is. Inside buildings, the 4 minute penalty is still applied.

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

IIRC moving a MG a "short distance" does NOT require a pack up and redeploy action.

Certain MGs can move up to four action spots without the pack and unpack time.  This only applies to some and only when outside.  

50 minutes ago, SLIM said:

<Snip> 
My best advice, leave the gun semi-deployed if you have that option, or if you have to change facing on an MG that can't fire semi-deployed, your best bet is to exit the house and find a new position. It will save you much time and headache.

This.  Except when you can get the MG deployed in a building during the setup phase as the OP already said.  Also give it a Target Arc that will hopefully keep it from changing windows on you.  The new corner deployment AI that came with v4.0 also makes the outside/behind a building option more attractive.  The gunner should move to and shoot around the corner.  I admit I don't have much experience with this tactic so far but it is probably less frustrating than changing MG positions in a building after the game starts.    

On 11.4.2017 at 10:55 PM, JoMc67 said:

So, what is the best way to move and setup MMG/HMGs in Buildings (obviously, no problem if already setup beginning of game).

It just seems to be a hit or miss situation half the time ever since the earlier versions...Still having problems in V4. 

Thanks, Joe

Hi Joe

Perhaps it is indeed too much "planning in advance" on your side.

Right now, I am playing a FB scenario and shuffle around something like 4 US HMG teams with simple "move and deploy" orders. That seems to work well. They deploy in a reasonable time.

More annoying is, that the HMG does not always deploy in the right spot. E.g., if they deploy in a long building, the HMG will set up behind the window with limited field of fire, while the helpers man the windows with a perfect view.

1 hour ago, MOS:96B2P said:

Certain MGs can move up to four action spots without the pack and unpack time.

I like this feature, and discovered it only after playing for years ! Unfortunately, the crew still need to crawl about for some time before setting up the gun, so a bit of the rapid move advantage is lost..

Edited by Bulletpoint

Yeah, I remember the endless discussions awhile ago with something like 
"How to Move and Deploy MG's in Buildings"...Think IanL was also a big part of that discussion. 

Anyways, will do some more testing using some of your suggestions above.

Thanks again, guys :-)