Optimal size for occupy objectives?

One thing that bugs me with the current engine and which I guess we will have to live with for now is how one single pixeltruppen can negate an entire occupy objective, no matter how many units you have on it. Very annoying if he is hiding in a house not to be seen. Ideally points for occupy objectives could be devided by both sides depending on size/strength of force on it rather than "all or nothing". But unitil that is implemented I've been thinking about ways to deal with it. One solution would be that instead of having one large objective (like in many missions in the US campaign) worth X points, it could be devided into four smaller objectives each worth 1/4 of X points - and that those objectives are separated by just one action square. But of course, the objectives shouldn't be too small either as that could make the opponent camp a lot of units in it and hold it that way. Is there an optimal size for occupy objectives? Other ways to deal with this "all or nothing"-problem?

10 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

I actually like that occupy objectives need to be completely cleared. If the objective is too big, I think it's the fault of the scenario designer.

Yes thinking that as well. Objectives could be broken into smaller blocks if required. Also wouldn't want ratios to negate the scenario and AI surrender if there is an intact Pak left ready to take on a platoon of tanks. Although discounting a single crewman is OK.

53 minutes ago, nik mond said:

Yes thinking that as well. Objectives could be broken into smaller blocks if required. Also wouldn't want ratios to negate the scenario and AI surrender if there is an intact Pak left ready to take on a platoon of tanks. Although discounting a single crewman is OK.

If obejctive is determined by ratio it should be by comparing forces strength based on how much those units would cost in a QB.

I don't think that a change like that would be appropriate. All the scenarios that have been created would suddenly become unbalanced because they were designed with all or nothing objectives in mind. A new type of objective would be more appropriate. Frankly I don't think having two types of occupy objectives would be good. You guys can make the ask but I really don't see it happening - ever.

42 minutes ago, rocketman said:

If obejctive is determined by ratio it should be by comparing forces strength based on how much those units would cost in a QB.

There could be a flaw in that, because there are some very cheap but effective rock/paper/scissor units in game as in real life, and again based on the location and scenario design this could be unfair. I think it just comes down to scenario design with the tools at hand as they are now. Manageable Occupy objectives, and if clearing them becomes a tedious affair for ineffective remnants then consider making more objective blocks for the same area as rocketman pretty much said. As for the exact size, depends if it is a built up or open area.

31 minutes ago, IanL said:

I don't think that a change like that would be appropriate. All the scenarios that have been created would suddenly become unbalanced because they were designed with all or nothing objectives in mind. A new type of objective would be more appropriate. Frankly I don't think having two types of occupy objectives would be good. You guys can make the ask but I really don't see it happening - ever.

Agree that it would ruin many scenarios. But a change could be made in coming new games so that's one reason for pitching the idea at this stage. And for newly made scenarios maybe refrain from using too large occupy objectives.

14 minutes ago, nik mond said:

There could be a flaw in that, because there are some very cheap but effective rock/paper/scissor units in game as in real life, and again based on the location and scenario design this could be unfair. I think it just comes down to scenario design with the tools at hand as they are now.

IMO it would be more fair to base occupation on some sort of ratio (even a less then perfect one) than being entirely negated by one pistol wielding jeep driver. Units in locations outside an objective, let's say a well placed AT gun, doesn't affect the points for the objective as it is today.

If some kind of unit-values are included when calculating the holder of terrain-objectives maybe such a function could also be expanded to include terrain-objectives when used with the trigger function.

Right now a single soldier entering a terrain-objective will start a trigger movement attached to that objective. Sometimes a scenario designer might prefer an AI-group to remain in place rather then attacking a lone, scouting sniper.

Having an option to delay such a attack until a platoon sized force (an example) have entered the terrain-objective might be a good thing...

Something like:

- Infantry value in zone > 500 ------ start trigger movement
- armour value in zone > 1200 ------- start trigger movement

Maybe also...

- infantry value in zone > 500 ------ target area with indirect fire support

46 minutes ago, RepsolCBR said:

If some kind of unit-values are included when calculating the holder of terrain-objectives maybe such a function could also be expanded to include terrain-objectives when used with the trigger function.

Right now a single soldier entering a terrain-objective will start a trigger movement attached to that objective. Sometimes a scenario designer might prefer an AI-group to remain in place rather then attacking a lone, scouting sniper.

Having an option to delay such a attack until a platoon sized force (an example) have entered the terrain-objective might be a good thing...

Something like:

- Infantry value in zone > 500 ------ start trigger movement
- armour value in zone > 1200 ------- start trigger movement

Maybe also...

- infantry value in zone > 500 ------ target area with indirect fire support

this gind system sounds good idea. all sou it could work then reverse way on triggers . example if AI unit get wiped out ( inf value in zone droo under 500 ) trigger get active and AI sending more units that area .

I think that when you get an occupy objective, that's the same as a direct order to make sure that place contains literally no enemy units. A lone guy with a pistol (or more likely: a rifle) could pose a danger to any unit passing through that area later.

But of course occupy objectives should be used sparingly. A good example of how to do that in practice is the mission Crossing the Dives from the Kampfgruppe Engels campaign. You're tasked to take a village, but there are actually only three occupy objectives in that town, and they are all very small. They are difficult to take, but once you get there, it only takes 1 or 2 teams to make sure the zones are clear.