The Best War Movie

Am i the only person on the face of the earth that thought Saving private ryan was an artless piece of crap? I am really sick of the whole "american war experience". I don't want people to get angry at me, but if I have to see one more school teacher/butcher/door to door salesman turned american world-liberator pine for his wife/girlfriend/mistress I'm going to be ill. Its too bad hollywood shoves this crap down the american public's(and canadian's) throats.I mean, did anybody see "the patriot" or "rules of engagement"? Makes me thankful i live in the great white north.

Favourite Films:

-Dr. Strangelove

-Paths of Glory

-Charge of the light Brigade(60's version)

I like these films because they show the absurdity of war very well. And there are no heartfelt speeches about applepie.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by White Death:

The Bridge (1959) very impressive movie about realities of war. There are no winners - just losers.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How true White Death. This film is often overlooked but it is an absolute classic. I twould have to rate high on my list of all time great war films.

BTW, in sort of the same vein, people keep mentioning Kelly Heroes as a humurous war film. If you want to see another war film with humuor, check out "The life & times of Private Chonkin" or some such. It shows how f**cked up the Soviets were in the early part of the war, very entertaining.

Regards

JIm R.

Hmmm...

My list is not as varied due to the fact that I havent seen alot of the films mentioned, although sound very interesting. Iron Cross I have not seen along with alot of others (Bridge too far, Stalingrad, Battleground, and The Longest Day). I will see these though.

I would have to say that the one film or movie that most influenced me when I was a kid, and I still very much enjoy today is Battle of The Bulge. I know the inaccuracies in this film put it further down on most people's list, but to me its still a great film. Gotta love the Panther Division and Hesslers Tiger.

When Trumpets Fade, I liked very much. I thought it was very good. Abit short but good. I especially liked the flamethrower seen. I would very much like to see more short films (or stories) like this. I very much like the way this short film was done. I suppose it would be expensive to produce films like this, but I imagine there could be lots of short film stories like this made. I would like to see a film like this done from German perspective though.

Saving Private Ryan I thought was pretty good. Seeing it in the theatre is astonishing. Shocking. Brutal. Breathtaking. Exciting. I wasnt big on the story but the effects and the battle scenes are more then enough to make up for it and make this a great movie.

Platoon. I liked this film. As far as a vietnam film goes. Its good. And has good actors in it. At least Willem Dafoe.

I also liked Hamburger Hill. I havent seen it in years but from what I can remember it was pretty good.

A Thin Red line, as I said in a previous post was very good. I never read the book so that may be why I liked it so much (nothing to compare it to).

I know these were not on anyone's list, but I must mention them out of respect to my early influences. I know these films are not are not very realistic, but they are fun to watch.

Guns of Navarone

Force Ten: Guns of Navarone

I wont go into them, just to say that I "grew up" on them when I was a kid.

Funny this thead. I was just thinking a few days ago about how a film could be done about, say Obersturmfuhrer Michael Wittman. The Legendary Tank "Ace" of the war for the Germans. It was reported (quoting out of a magazine here) he racked up 119 confirmed kills during 2 years of service. (quoting again here) ....

"After hozing down dozens of "soft" trucks, half tracks, and Bren carriers with his machine guns (killing or wounding more then 100 men), he destroyed four Cromwells, two Shermans, and three Stuarts in short order, totally paralyzing a proposed British attack. He was a marked man after that victory, however, and the British finally lured him into a trap two months later and bushwacked him from all sides literally pounding his Tiger to scrap"

I thought a film like could be good.

Are there any books on German Tank stories? I dont have much reading experience here (WWII) but if someone knows of a recommendation that would be great .

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Four Stringer:

"Winter War" sounds very interesting. Is it available w/English subtitles? Anyone? I'm not interested in dubbed movies (Godzilla excepted smile.gif)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think there is a version with English subtitling.

Try any of the big buy-video-over-the-net-companies. It's well worth it!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JigVictor07:

4. The unknown soldier. The older B&W version is better than the newer version, IMHO.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I consider Molberg's colour version better, but that's my opinion of course. The older b/w version directed by Edwin Laine in the 50's is not bad either. But they represent different generations of movies.

Laine's version has that stark acting and filming so charasteristic for 50's. To me, the acting doesn't seem believable. Men are too spirited and occasionally too heroic.

Molberg's movie owes more than a bit to the way of describing war that evolved from Vietnam footage and films. The general attitude is more depressing, nobody seems to be wanting to be a hero. I recognize it as a closer equivalent to real life, and thus I like it more.

As a note, the Unknown soldier is based on Väinö Linna's book of same name, and I think it is one of the best war novels ever. Maybe there should be another thread for war books?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stefan

Must admit it was a while since I saw either of the Unknown Soldier versions, but I remember I for certain fancied the later one.

Why do you think the b&w version is better?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, one thing is the dialect the actors (try to) speak. The actors in the new version just can't get it quite right and so it sounds a bit strange (to a native Finnish). And the actors all in all are better in the original version, IMO. There can be just one Rokka...

Both are great movies, but the original is a tad ahead on my list.

JV

I'm surprised only two guys mentioned "The Bridge", certainly the best anti war movie ever. You really have to watch this one, it's absolutely fantastic.

It's also available from the website that was mentioned earlier on.

http://www.sonic.net/~bstone/blitzbooks/video.html

Here's their description:

VHS­035. THE BRIDGE. (1959) This is the famous and shocking war film about eight high school boys who are drafted into the Wehrmacht during the last days of WWII in April 1945. They receive orders to defend a bridge against advancing U.S. troops and tanks. The details of this film are nerve shattering from the time the tanks start approaching to the grim and starkly realistic conclusion. Shown in its original black and white, it is available in either English dubbed version or subtitled version. $ 20

And when they say shocking, they mean it. It's really no pop corn movie.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sergei:

Laine's version has that stark acting and filming so charasteristic for 50's. To me, the acting doesn't seem believable. Men are too spirited and occasionally too heroic.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So the opinions vary smile.gif Yes, the acting represents the standard of that time and it might be a bit overacted. There's just something in Laine's work that I like better than Molberg's. But both are very good movies, like I wrote in the post above.

JV

Most influenced me:

The Longest Day

Red Beach

Reach For the Skies

Battle of Britain

Deer Hunter

Apocalypse Now

Aces High(?) - an old 1930s movie about WW1 fighter pilots - the aerial shots are just incredible - they strapped a camera on the undercart of several planes

The Eagle has Landed

Das Boot (we had it serialised over here)

Saving Private you know - despite it's complete ignorance of the British effort and the 3 beaches we took - the only mention was 2 guys slagging off our Monty - Sorry, but the US did NOT win WW2 single handed.

Rommel and the other James Mason films where he played the great German General. Tragic.

The Dambusters

Platoon - the only recent Vietnam movie I respect.

I know there' more - just can't remember now!

------------------

"I like a man who grins when he fights."

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

RedDOg,

Are there any special features on the DVD of Stalingrad?

Los

p.s. Gladiator is releasing on DVD on 21 Nov with tons of extra stuff and deleted scenes. Go to www.amazon.com it's on the main page.

Los<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

English and German Language tracks.

Subtitles in English

Theatrical Trailers

Widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio

The english dubbing wasn't too bad, better than most I've heard. I just wish it had a director's commentary and "making of" like the Das Boot DVD.

Anyone know if Cross of Iron has been released on DVD? If so, any extras on it?

[This message has been edited by Red Dog (edited 10-13-2000).]

A great view of after war life is "The Best Years of Our Lives." It shows 3 people returning home and how the have to learn to re-adjust. Great film.

And how come no one mentioned the World War III epic, "Red Dawn?" tongue.gif

------------------

"Nuts!"

Kanonier Reichmann wrote:

If you want to see another war film with humuor, check out "The life & times of Private Chonkin" or some such. It shows how f**cked up the Soviets were in the early part of the war, very entertaining.

Hey, has someone filmed that book. I stumbled upon it about a year ago and I couldn't stop laughing reading it.

I don't know whether it is translated to English, but the author is Vladimir Voinovits and the original title is "Zizn i neobytsainyje prikljutsenija soldata Ivana Tsonkina". (The Finnish version is "Sotamies Ivan Tsonkinin ihmeelliset seikkailut").

- Tommi

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Croda:

A great view of after war life is "The Best Years of Our Lives." It shows 3 people returning home and how the have to learn to re-adjust. Great film.

And how come no one mentioned the World War III epic, "Red Dawn?" tongue.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OKay, I liked Red Dawn too, but to call it an epic film...ahhhh...no. Ben-Hur is an epic film. Red Dawn is not. It's good! Just not epic.

Oh wait! Your kidding, right? Ha ha ha... You're a funny guy Croda. I'll kill you last. wink.gif

Jeff

[This message has been edited by jshandorf (edited 10-13-2000).]

I'm kinda hard on war movies because if they don't get it right historically then it sometimes ruins the whole picture for me. That being said I really was blown away with "Saving Private Ryan". Someone mentioned earlier about Rangers (who landed at Omaha) looking for a paratrooper (who as we know landed behind Utah) and I remember thinking about that the first time I saw the movie. But it was a very good movie.

"Darbys Rangers" was another good movie as was the movie Croda mentioned "The Best Years Of Our Lives". "A Bridge Too Far" was good too. I wish someone would do a movie on another of Cornelius Ryans books, "The Last Battle" as well as a remake of "The Battle Of The Bulge". I think the Bulge is a good subject for a movie and the fictious one made in 1964 is good only for laughs.

------------------

It wasn't MY company..It was the Armys' or so they told me.

<Blockquote>Saving Private you know - despite it's complete ignorance of the British effort and the 3 beaches we took - the only mention was 2 guys slagging off our Monty - Sorry, but the US did NOT win WW2 single handed.</Blockquote>

I get so tired of this slam against SPR. This movie was about one unit at OMAHA BEACH for crying out loud. It was an American landing zone. Would you have spielberg cut away to Sword beach just to say, "Guess what? The British were involved too. Now back to our story." SPR is not "The Longest Day." You can go make a movie about Sword beach and leave all the Amis out. I'll enjoy the movie without complaining, OK?

------------------

Two Rules to Live By:

1. Never Get Out of the Boat.

2. Charlie Doesn't Surf.

Gettysburg = fantastic. 2nd Maine defending Little Round Top, and Colonel Chamberlain (head bowed in reverence) calling for the bayonet charge...my heart leaps everytime, which brings me to perhaps my alltime favorite movie...

Glory! - A great account of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry, the first all-black regiment to fight. A wonderfully told story of men earning the right to be called men, on many levels.

------------------

"Nuts!"

If not the best, the most entertaining in my view was "Patton"; who else but George C. Scott could play that man? My intellect says the best is probably Cross of Iron, but my heart say Patton.And for gritty realism, nothing beats "The Naked and the Dead" to leave a bad taste in one's mouth; God, I still feel like shooting that bastard Aldo Ray after 20 years...

As for Private Ryan, its opening scene is a classic and unbeatable gut-wrencher, but God, for anyone who knows anything about the history of the fighting in Normandy, it's almost unbearable.

Spielberg is a great moviemaker, but in my view, the cinematic tricks in this movie are just too visible, especially for anyone who has seen his first movie, "The Duel", where he showed his mastery of the closeup (it was an accident, the movie was originally shot for TV), which is what he used to good effect in Private Ryan.

However I understand that for those who break into tears at the sight of an American flag and who think that it was the sacrifice of US soldiers that won WW2, this could be the greatest war movie of all time.

Henri

What about Small Soldiers? Gotta love when the "army" comes around the picket fence and unleashes on that house! wink.gif

But seriously, thanks for all the suggestions guys. Now if I could only get my wife to tolerate war movies (she hates war), I might actually get to see some of these!

BeWary

------------------

"Liberty or Death?" Make it "Victory or Pretty Damned Badly Wounded", and I'm yours. - a prospective recruit during the American Revolution.

Anyone seen 'A long days dieing' about 3 British Paras stuck behind German lines. Now that was a gritty no holds barred film.

The killing was really personal and it brings home the horrors of war. I believe it stared David Hemmings.

Hi all ,

Best " War Movies ": Spielberg´s Saving Prv. Ryan " and " Gettysburg " ( Pickett´s Charge ...breathtaking )

Best " Anti War " Movies: Kubicks " Full Metal Jacket " and - in some sense - more shocking than SPR: " Die Brücke " ( The Bridge ) by Bernhard Wicki ( very close to win an Oscar as best foreign film...)

Just my 2 Pfennige

Tom

------------------

Visit Toms Combat Mission HQ ( bilingual site ) at http://home.germany.net/101-77027/CM/TCMHQ.html