Foxholes need to be tweaked

Ive tried everything to get my squads,halfsquads, teams, to fully occupy foxholes but they will not, like a 6 man unit, 4 will occupy the foxholes and 2 will stay out, and there is plenty of room, a 4unit foxhole should hold 8 men, this is only the Russians I am seeing this so far.Change facing, remove them back into the foxhole area, doesn't work.

I always thought the mound, itself, gave cover. Sometimes you'll see pixeltruppen who are taking incoming fire crawl behind a foxhole and be protected. (In fact, being behind it may be better protection from incoming than being IN it...if the fire is coming from a single direction. That way there are two mound walls between the pixeltruppen and the fire, not just one.)

Ken

I think that foxholes could use a little love. I don't like how clustered together they are. I think there should only be 2 foxholes per action square. With 2 men per hole, that would give a pretty decent/realistic spacing for a unit dug in in foxholes. Currently, even if you spread the foxholes as they are, they tend to still suffer high casualties. 

I think the two holes per action square would also solve your issue of soldiers not occupying the holes. Instead of trying to cram 6-8 soldiers in a few foxholes per action square, 4 soldiers per square seems much more doable. 

29 minutes ago, IICptMillerII said:

I think that foxholes could use a little love. I don't like how clustered together they are. I think there should only be 2 foxholes per action square. With 2 men per hole, that would give a pretty decent/realistic spacing for a unit dug in in foxholes. Currently, even if you spread the foxholes as they are, they tend to still suffer high casualties. 

I think the two holes per action square would also solve your issue of soldiers not occupying the holes. Instead of trying to cram 6-8 soldiers in a few foxholes per action square, 4 soldiers per square seems much more doable. 

you have to take into account team size as the factor that allows splitting across AS as the determining factor, not the preference for numbers of foxholes.    There are few instances of 4 member teams in CM.  More typically it is 5-6. 

4 minutes ago, sburke said:

you have to take into account team size as the factor that allows splitting across AS as the determining factor, not the preference for numbers of foxholes.    There are few instances of 4 member teams in CM.  More typically it is 5-6. 

Good point. Although isn't it possible to break down most units to sizes of at least 4 men or smaller? I know for the Germans split teams tend to be no more than 4. Or better yet, maybe add a 3rd foxhole per action square instead of the current amount? My main point with the current way foxholes are depicted is that there are too many too close together. Even if all the soldiers are able to occupy a hole, all it takes are a few well placed mortar rounds to wipe everyone out. If things were more spread out, it would provide better protection from being blasted away by direct/indirect heavy weapons. 

On October 2, 2016 at 2:31 PM, sburke said:

Or 3. Or 2. Or sometimes just 1.

Michael

6 hours ago, Michael Emrys said:

Or 3. Or 2. Or sometimes just 1.

Michael

No not really. The standard team size which has to be your starting point for game design is either two teams in a squad or 3. can you cite an example of a full squad having a team in it's default structure that has 1 or 2 members?  You can't count splitting off scouts etc as the AI will not do that and the game has to account for that. 

Leave it to to a Peng thread denizen to be unable to count. 

Edited by sburke

13 minutes ago, JoMc67 said:

Test Results were tested by yours untruly...You have more cover in the Open, then you do in Rat Holes...err, I mean Fox Holes. 

Wait... are you saying that foxholes reduce cover? Because that would not be true.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B