FIST Vehicles

I've taken to adding an extra UAV, and having the FIST vehicle use it.

I've recently realized that the FIST vehicle enjoys all the advantages of an FO unit riding in it; having the vehicle itself capable of calling in indirect fires is frequently an advantage. It's one more FO with the speed and accuracy advantages of a FIST vehicle.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno. American FIST, though, don't need an FO team in them to work. (And the FO teams don't fit unless they're assigned by the unit. The FO teams you buy have three people in them, and the vehicles only take two. There doesn't appear to be an option to target the extra person with friendly snipers.)

@Jammersix I had though about using a FIST this way, but what happens if you want to get your 'eyes' in the grass at the edge of a a treeline? BS is brutal to exposed vehicles, so I've always preferred the 'invisibility' of an FO team hidden in the grass, over a (pretty obvious) FIST vehicle.

Edit: Ahh I see, you are using it solely as a UAV terminal for  indirect FO arty calls only. No direct FO 'eyes-on' calls. Fair enough.

I think I've generally house-ruled out UAV's in all my PBEMs thus far (UKR vs RUS) since UKR has no UAVs..... Must admit, in the second US campaign mission, I think I am using the FIST exactly as you describe.

I don't like to expose either my FISTs or my FOs. FISTs are too valuable, and FOs get all uppity if they get shot at. They're not really tough enough to hang with infantry.

I like to have both of them watch from the back with UAVs and bunk with the Air Force, where they can be happy.

I dont think the dismounted crew can no. Not certain but 90% or so. ISTR in the US campaigns Poking the Bear my US FIST vehicle was destroyed and the crew was useless afterwards.

But yes the FO vehicles can call targets on their own for all sides without needing an FO team in the vehicle.  The FO vehicles also seem to have the fastest call in and response times as well though thats a purely anecdotal observation and one thats almost uniformly of the Russian FO vehicles

The crew of a FIST/COLT have an FO as team leader, which you will notice if you dismount the crew of a FIST/COLT vehicle.  Because of this they should retain their ability to request support with a diminished time bonus 'even while dismounted.'  There are however two man FIST teams (not just the line FOs) purchasable which can fit in the back of the Knight and B-FIST and be dismounted for observation when exposing the vehicle is too risky.  For obvious reasons the 4 man FIST teams (also purchaseable) do not.

The COLT vehicle (Knight) have the fastest processing times with the B-FIST coming in second.

I could wax poetic for days on end about how this relates to real life but I've got that going on another thread.

4 hours ago, TheForwardObserver said:

The crew of a FIST/COLT have an FO as team leader, which you will notice if you dismount the crew of a FIST/COLT vehicle.  Because of this they should retain their ability to request support with a diminished time bonus 'even while dismounted.'  There are however two man FIST teams (not just the line FOs) purchasable which can fit in the back of the Knight and B-FIST and be dismounted for observation when exposing the vehicle is too risky.  For obvious reasons the 4 man FIST teams (also purchaseable) do not.

The COLT vehicle (Knight) have the fastest processing times with the B-FIST coming in second.

I could wax poetic for days on end about how this relates to real life but I've got that going on another thread.

Thanks FO, I will have to experiment with this off-line

On 4/19/2016 at 0:45 PM, Jammersix said:

One advantage of playing the computer: the computer doesn't whine about house rules.

Very true. And it also doesnt quit on you mid game for no reason unless its a crash and not a choice, and then it gives you the courtesy of informing you so.

Still yet the ai is a joke once you.ve played people. It cannot react plan wise or really at all besides returning direct fire when you decide to engage it or its following a script.  It can never compare to the level.of satisfaction and sophistication the game achieves playing against people. I think the inability of some pbem players to only accept games where they win or they rage quit and thats it stems more from social ability and lack of goodsportsmanship than whether the ai is better than people or not. I decidedly think not. Others opinion differ for reasons listed or others not such as time etc 

Edited by Sublime

Id like to add that perhaps the most unfixable flaw of the ai is when and where to use area targetting. This is ESSENTIAL IMO for city,hedgerow, or any dense cover fighting.  If you only target spotted enemies like the AI then often pinned troops will have fire taken off them or your fire orders end up cancelled.

Nowhere is this a greater letdown than direct fire with mortars and arty but it affects everything and is something that the AI really cant discern when is appropriate to use or for what duration or where when even people need time to really get a feel for using area target with some weapons or for harassment arty fire for example.

3 hours ago, Jammersix said:

Playing a handful of games against the computer, sometimes the COLT had faster response times, sometimes a BFIST had faster response times.

I can't tell what causes the difference.

Experience and motivation, for me. Huge difference in call in times for Elite v. Vet.

It does, I believe. 

Veterancy affects cost,  so I go on the principle that if it costs more then it does something more. 

Anecdotally,  I've noticed shorter call in times,  especially with US.  I've had 2 min wait times on elite Paladin strikes with elite FO. Essentially I do elite both ends from now on,  especially as RUS,  as Arty fire is often my primary attack/defense component. 

I'll check up on this later.