CMFB Bonus Beta AAR (Allied: Attacking, Advancing, Allied)

c3k

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll explain that picture, and later, post some more.

You'll have noticed that I've been steadily trying to move that flamethrower to a useful position. Baneman has been using those houses to stop my men. And by "stop", I mean "kill". MP44s in urban combat are very bad. Or good. Depends on which way the muzzle is facing.

The first flamethrower burst was a little off target. It went to the outside of the target building. Still, there were screams. Unfortunately, for me, that prompted Baneman's men to start running out the back door. The second burst, pictured above, was right on target. There was about 15 seconds between bursts. There were many screams. There would have been more, had that first shot landed true.

As for the rest? Well, Bil may have understated the case when used the term "debacle". ;)

More pics later today.

Turn 35:00 to 34:00

Flaming to victory!

Alright, you've already seen the pix I posted with the flamethrower. That was the highlight of the turn. However, there was still a LOT going on, albeit with fewer and fewer men.

Overview:

T35%20a.jpg

You can see that The Dell is the focus of Baneman's attack. That, and the village. My remaining forces in the village are, err, not as robust as those I initially sent. I don't know if I can even cross the street. The Dell is the fight for now...

T35%20a2.jpg

T35%20a3.jpg

T35%20a4.jpg

T35%20a5.jpg

In the middle, the village, here's a little recap:

T35%20b.jpg

and, because it was fun (and the first successful use of a flamethrower I achieved), a repeat:

flamer%2001.jpg

That rubbed out the red "x".

Over on the left...

T35%20c.jpg

My rifle team (4 men with a bazooka) is very tired. If Baneman pulls his recce vehicle back any more, they won't get a shot. I've got them on a little lip, looking down. I may get a lucky bazooka shot next turn. Baneman is obviously away of them. I imagine he's got a floating "?" marker moving around. Earlier, he had some infantry over there. I'll see what happens.

Meantime, I caught an interesting spot:

T35%20d.jpg

This guy was moving away from the Big Field zone, around the back of the village. He's either going to reinforce the Dell (unlikely) or try to bring some firepower to the village fight. If he gets LOS to my little set of houses, my men will be hosed. Well, hosed worse. Or again. Or something bad, anyway.

Ken

Yeah, bloody is as bloody does. Or somesuch.

The intent was to have this battle wrapped up two weeks ago. Top HQ (and real life) demanded it, thus. My ops tempo was based on that short timeline. As such, I decided to do away with such niceties as "recon", "planning", "force allocation", and other things that players like Bil Hardenberger use. Bah.

"Attack", I said to my men, and attack they have. It's cute how they don't want to disappoint me.

c3k,

Geez, flamethrowers and canister in the same turn.  What more could we ask for?  This is great!  :D

Those checkerboard-floored houses are....to die for...sorry, couldn't resist....

Heinrich505

If so, then based on the losses I've suffered, I should have my own friggin' town filled with checkerboard-floored houses! I'll consider them a gift from my men. ;)

Hah! Baneman and I have been in communication. He is about to change which build we're using (as happens during beta testing): my men have told me that they are REALLY hoping that changing versions will lead to a forced game end. I don't know why they're like that...

Pix will be forthcoming from the last two turns. Be forewarned! They won't be easy to take for those who are faint of heart! Luckily, I don't suffer from that. ;)

34:00 to 31:00

Yes, a THREE MINUTE update!!! There was some action, but a lot of non-action (just like my recent postings...). Real life has kept me busy. You know that Monty Python opening cartoon from the TV show? Where the foot of God squishes some poor sap? Yeah, that was me. ;) Without any further ado, let's get to it!

aa01.jpg

aa02.jpg

aa03.jpg

aa04.jpg

aa05.jpg

aa06.jpg

aa07.jpg

aa07.jpg

aa09.jpg

more...

34:00 to 31:00, Part II, continued, more death...

aa10.jpg

aa11.jpg

aa12.jpg

aa13.jpg

aa14.jpg

aa15.jpg

aa16.jpg

aa17.jpg

aa18.jpg

Summary: it's not over, but the fat lady is about to walk onto the stage. My offensive power is not where it was. ;) My deep left has two immobilized vehicles; the M15 and the M8. My right is pretty much spent. The men are all in halftracks and are recovering morale and fitness levels. If Baneman gets autocannon on them, it'll be ugly. I'll probably pull them across the Uncanny Valley, just to get some space. The village is stuffed with corpses, both green and grey. Their uniforms also have colors. Nasty. Entering a building is death. Baneman still has 6-8 autocannon tracks/halftracks/achtrads/PSWs. That's alotta cannon. His positions in the Village and on the high ground around it enables all sorts of bad things to happen to my men.

We'll see what the next few minutes bring.

My flamer died. That was as sad as it was foreseen. :(

21 minutes ago, c3k said:

34:00 to 31:00, Part II, continued, more death...

aa16.jpg

Summary: it's not over, but the fat lady is about to walk onto the stage. My offensive power is not where it was. ;) My deep left has two immobilized vehicles; the M15 and the M8. My right is pretty much spent. The men are all in halftracks and are recovering morale and fitness levels. If Baneman gets autocannon on them, it'll be ugly. I'll probably pull them across the Uncanny Valley, just to get some space. The village is stuffed with corpses, both green and grey. Their uniforms also have colors. Nasty. Entering a building is death. Baneman still has 6-8 autocannon tracks/halftracks/achtrads/PSWs. That's alotta cannon. His positions in the Village and on the high ground around it enables all sorts of bad things to happen to my men.

We'll see what the next few minutes bring.

My flamer died. That was as sad as it was foreseen. :(

c3k,

Holy Crap, the carnage is terrifying.  That one poor guy by the wall in the cemetery was actually torn in half.  -_-  "The Horror, the Horror, the Horror..."  Good thing you don't have the 40K Warhammer Blood Mod activated.  There would be rivers of it...

What a brutal battle.  Graves Registration is going to have their hands full on this one.  I did hear that Patton was in complete approval of your aggressive use of assets though.  Could be a promotion in this for ya.  ;) 

You said you put the survivors in halftracks.  Does this help them recover morale and fitness levels faster?  I'd never heard that before.  If so, that is good to know.

Thanks for all the craziness.  This is great to follow, as always.

Heinrich505

I put them in the halftracks for a couple of reasons. There's a slight ridge there, so the halftracks can spray the woodline if needed. Plus, the men can man the machineguns when the current gunners get hit. :) Finally, even if they go out of command, if they're in a halftrack, and the halftrack's morale is okay, I can still pull the team back (in the 'track) rather than being forced to leave them in open ground. They are somewhat sheltered from bullets, so they have a better chance now. (I'd say "a fighting chance", but that ship has left!)

However, that's like half a dozen halftracks sitting there. I'd get laughed out of the O Club if I pulled out now. I'll have to think about what I can do with mobile, armored, assets. Hmm....

The next few turns should be bloodier, still.

That 37mm canister is usually very effective. The M8 fired 3 tounds at Jerry. One if the rounds produced 3 crosses. (I think the 37mm canister is on par with the Abrams' canister...or so it seems.)

I need to get some in command status updates and get some better morale. Some of The Dell survivors are marked with the Red Routing Broken Mark of Shame. There's not much I can count on them to do.

• 2 weeks later...

The finale.

The end.

The denouement.

But first, a word...

Ian was a FANTASTIC opponent. Sure, he was a gamey bastard with his choice of kit, but who isn't? ;) Totally kidding... This AAR was meant to be fast and furious with engagement ranges meant to shed those of lesser fortitude. We were facing a time crunch with my real life deadlines. In the last week of February, I was scheduled for some work which would have me away from my gaming machines 5-6 days out of every 7, up until, well, about now. Knowing that, we thought we could get it in. Then Ian got slapped by real life intruding on his end. That slowed us down enough that we ran into my scheduling conflict. My apologies for the stilted nature of this beast, and my thanks to those who kept their interest in it despite the syncopated nature of our updates.

Enough of the words...let's look upon the glory which was the last 3 turns...

31:00 to 30:00...

F01.jpg

F02.jpg

F03.jpg

F04.jpg

more...

Edited by c3k

The tally...

L01.jpg

(For some reason, my usual image posting isn't working, hence the direct links. Hope they work. As well, I'm using a different size monitor, so the screenshots may appear different than earlier ones.)

That was a fun battle. It showed how devastating the German auto weapons could be. It also showed how a rushed, botched, incompetent attack can get nearly everyone killed. :) There was a lot of good mayhem. The last turns' mad dash was done because my men demanded it. I allowed it. Perhaps I should not hold the reins so loosely...

I hope you guys enjoyed seeing this (as stop-and-go as it ended up being) as much as I had fun playing it. Give Ian a PM and get him on your pbem list.

Try the demo...

Ken out.