Tired = automatic pause

rocketman

@Rocketman, one thing to check; if you had multiple units selected at the same time (e.g. double clicking on a HQ unit), and forgot; then you added a pause to one unit, it seems to get added to all the units.

I've had this happen accidentally a few times; a 1:30 pause is two clicks from clearing a pause entirely, so perhaps you were clearing pause from a  unit, but didn't realize you had multiple units selected?

I've seen this happen many times. I never really thought about it, because usually this was something I saw when units were bunched up and one would suddenly indicate up its pausing. I don't believe fatigue was the cause in the instances I saw it as this was often early in a battle before a lot of movement took place. 

I've seen this happen many times. I never really thought about it, because usually this was something I saw when units were bunched up and one would suddenly indicate up its pausing. I don't believe fatigue was the cause in the instances I saw it as this was often early in a battle before a lot of movement took place. 

I've only ever noticed that with vehicles. But it's just possible infantry do it too, and I've not gotten them sufficiently jammed up to cause it, then clicked on one of the bottlenecked elements.

@Rocketman, one thing to check; if you had multiple units selected at the same time (e.g. double clicking on a HQ unit), and forgot; then you added a pause to one unit, it seems to get added to all the units.

I've had this happen accidentally a few times; a 1:30 pause is two clicks from clearing a pause entirely, so perhaps you were clearing pause from a  unit, but didn't realize you had multiple units selected?

I hadn't selected multiple units and no other unit replicates the movement/behaviour of this unit. Neither added a pause. The only parameters I can think of is multiple waypoints, tiredness and the armor only cover arc.

I'll post a save.

I've never seen a foot unit pause on its own. I've pushed foot units into an exhausted state from rested, with no auto pause.

Vehicles will auto-pause when they detect a collision. Usually the rear vehicle pauses for 3-5 seconds.

Either it's new behavior, or, as mentioned above, an HQ had its subordinate units highlighted when the HQ was given a pause. (I've done it too many times to count before I finally learned. Now, I only do it sometimes. ;) )

Let's see what the savegame shows.

Ken

A simple editor experiment will confirm...

A fresh unit can be given FAST to a waypoint 4km away, through mud with wet ground conditions, while carrying extra weight. At some point, they will not be FASTing, but just QUICKing. At no point will they pause. Eventually, they will drop to MOVE, and continue in that mode. (Some units may recover from "exhausted" to "fatigued" while using MOVE: others do not.)

At no point did any unit stop or pause.

I've just tested this and a Javelin team on hunt will indeed pause when tired. I'm seeing pauses, with the numbers showing 60 - 90 seconds plus. The pauses seem to prevent the hunting team from going to a lower fatigue state with them remaining tired.

Edit to add - I repeated the test with a FO team and it takes longer from them to reach the tired status and their pauses are shorter, presumably because they are carrying a lighter load.

Tired when hunting seems to be the key here

P

Edited by Pete Wenman

Pete Wenman: I've tried HUNTing with both WeGo and RealTime and drove my men to "exhausted". I included a full US platoon (HQ, FO, 3x Squads, 2x MMG, 2x Javelin): no one ever auto-paused. How did you do your test? Savegame available? (Since you found something...you've got the ball. ;)  I'm out.)

Ken

Got it figured out.

The Pause only occurs at a waypoint. Terrain does not matter: having an intermediate waypoint is the "trigger" to allow the pause. (In my earlier tests I set one waypoint 4km distant.)

And, this only occurs with HUNT.

So... HUNTing, and TIRED, they will PAUSE at the next waypoint they come to.

Ken

Got it figured out.

The Pause only occurs at a waypoint. Terrain does not matter: having an intermediate waypoint is the "trigger" to allow the pause. (In my earlier tests I set one waypoint 4km distant.)

And, this only occurs with HUNT.

So... HUNTing, and TIRED, they will PAUSE at the next waypoint they come to.

Ken

Brilliant! And handy for the player as we now have control and predictable behaviour. Nice, Ken!