Russian WWII Film Trailer "Panfilov's Twenty Eight"

mjkerner

mjkerner,

Looks really good to me, and I love the inclusion of Russian gallows humor. Am also pleased such a great job was done on the equipment, and I particularly refer to the big stuff, like tanks and howitzers. Much easier to get the rest right. I really want to see this film when it comes out, but watching the trailer was quite surreal, what with having to see a Netflix ad for some saccharine frou frou called "The Pinkies."

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Hi,

Thanks for the heads-up.

This one does look very well made. The Russians have had all talents for making great wars films, techniques for years but have their own exaregated style. But this looks like it is made in very conventional style but with all the best of modern film maker’s art.

Whether or not the detail of the story is true is irrelevant. Their will have been many actions such as this during the campaign.

Best book I know that tells the story from both sides from first person through to front commanders, is

The Defense of Moscow 1941, Northern Flank by Jack Radey & Charles Sharp.

Gives a superb picture of how the fighting and logistics just killed the offensive until the Germans were the ones just hanging on. Exceptional in balance and quality of research for both sides.

All the best,

Kip.

Whether or not the detail of the story is true is irrelevant. Their will have been many actions such as this during the campaign.

Unfortunately, it is irrelevant whether the "detail of the story is true", since it is now generally recognized that this whole story was basically fabricated; here is a couple of links with the gist of the matter:  

Panfilovtsy

Panfilovtsy 2

To sum it up, a 1948 Soviet investigation into the incident concluded that the story was "pure fantasy".

Given the true heroism displayed by so many Red Army soldiers during the war, it is a real shame that they're making movies about imaginary heroes...just a sign of the times, I guess.

Edited by 76mm
mo info

76mm, hi,

It is the quality of the action scenes, the filming, direction, acting that matters to me. As mentioned by John Kettler good to see equipment of all types look correct.  That is what I meant.

To Russians the detail of the story may matter..  just representative battle to me. Very relieved it looks as if filmed in conventional style.

All good stuff,

All the best,

Kip.

PS       Yes as with para anyone know how it will be distributed.. Netflix?

It is the quality of the action scenes, the filming, direction, acting that matters to me. As mentioned by John Kettler good to see equipment of all types look correct.  That is what I meant.

OK, got it.  From the few recent Russian war movies I've seen, they'll probably get the equipment basically correct, but I'm guessing it will be more Rambo than any particularly interesting...

I have no problem with the way russian film makers tell their stories. It´s their right to employ their own sort of "Hollywood style", national pathos and such, as obviously the films are not necessarily aimed at the western market, particularly the US one. Last russian film I´ve seen was "White Tiger" and while the "story" could be questioned, it´s not unsimilar to the one from Fury, where from tankers POV, a big number of WW2 sterotypes were taken for granted and translated 1:1 into the story and action scenes. (every tank a Tiger, every gun an 88 and every german a fanatical nazi....) I´ve not seen latest Stalingrad movie yet, but I do not expect it to be any worse or better than the old german one. Russian film makers do a good job nowadays, both technically and story telling, just employing their own "russian style". I find it rather refreshing to see russian front movies, played with russian actors, original russian and partly german hardware, in real russian landscapes and do not care too much about certain "story lines", which can always be questioned from all the different point of views, may it be "realism", national bias and so on.