Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

You can tell I've been drinking...

I was philosophizing over beer, when it occurred to me that the Italian campaign was a continuation of the African campaign.
Africa was of course the big event for England, that island of bad weather and worse food. Standing as it does between the happy union of Scotland and Wales.
Montey's Desert Rats. The birth of the SAS. A million cheesy b&w movies about pudgy sargents and cheerfull poms, baking in the Sahara sun, but never seeming to tan.
The next expansion pack for the Mediterranean ought to be further south. In Africa.
Lets see if BFC can swing this.
Montey's 8th army vs Rommel's DAK.
Lets see it happen

You have been drinking. 

I doubt they would do an Africa module. It is a rather different tactical environment than Italy and Sicily. Also, while Italy can be seen as a continuation of the war from Africa it is a distinct "campaign". If you're craving for Africa you're more likely to see it in its own game, perhaps as a remake of CMAK. Unfortunately, given what the guys have said about upcoming plans that would be a long way off for those of us who want to go fox hunting ;)

I would also love to see WW2 in North Africa - all those long range engagements, fast-moving recon vehicles that were actually useful, wide open spaces.  The lack of mobility in most of the small CM2 maps leads to nearly all scenarios being straight ahead assaults with little or no opportunity for the sort of mobile outflanking that occurred in the desert.

Given that we have the desert already modeled in CMSF, and many WW2 vehicles as well, one would think that there would be relatively few new vehicles required to be created (mostly Lee-Grants, Crusaders and a bunch of light recon vehicles).

You have been drinking. 

I doubt they would do an Africa module. It is a rather different tactical environment than Italy and Sicily. Also, while Italy can be seen as a continuation of the war from Africa it is a distinct "campaign". If you're craving for Africa you're more likely to see it in its own game, perhaps as a remake of CMAK. Unfortunately, given what the guys have said about upcoming plans that would be a long way off for those of us who want to go RAT hunting ;)

FIXED!! :P

BFC have softened their stance on going back to the desert, so CM:Desert Rats is no longer a hopeless aspiration. But it emphatically won't be a module of FI. FI has one module left to take it to the end of the war. Any Africa product will be a separate module. I expect it will, like all the other theatres, have a family per year, so content development can be incremental and leveraged between families.

BFC have softened their stance on going back to the desert, so CM:Desert Rats is no longer a hopeless aspiration. But it emphatically won't be a module of FI. FI has one module left to take it to the end of the war. Any Africa product will be a separate module. I expect it will, like all the other theatres, have a family per year, so content development can be incremental and leveraged between families.

Not that I know one way or the other, but I hadn't seen anything to that effect regarding the desert war.  The current plan is as far as I know - Finish off the Eastern front - that is 3 additional families plus modules etc there.  Finish off CMFI - a module and maybe some packs.  Do the Bulge - A family with modules and probably packs.  Finish off CMBS - modules and maybe packs... and my sincere hope they do pull off CMSF-2.  All that is enough to keep them busy for a couple years.I haven't seen any projections past that on these pages.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply it was even on the radar, simply that BFC are no longer of the "Never again in the desert" mindset, so there's a faint, rather than no, possibility that it may one day happen. Naturally, the years' worth of announced intentions will in all likelihood come first.