Black Sea Siming the Mid East?

kevinkin

Given the current situation with Russia and the US in Syria, could any reasonable hypothetical scenarios be created?
I guess the situation could spill over into the Baltic where US and Russia could go at it. I don't know of BS's capabilities other than it's CMx2.
But since BS is hypothetical already ....

Kevin

The problem with making hypothetical scenarios out-of-theater is the foliage, ground and building art are all modern day Ukraine - right down to the street numbers and emblem on the mailbox. :) You could probably concoct a plausible scenario across any one of the former European Warsaw pact states, even Georgia. Recreating Syria or Lebanon or Uzbekistan would be a tougher task, though. Many years ago I did a central Africa theater mod pack for CMSF. I'm still nostalgic for that old mod.<_<

The problem with making hypothetical scenarios out-of-theater is the foliage, ground and building art are all modern day Ukraine - right down to the street numbers and emblem on the mailbox. :) You could probably concoct a plausible scenario across any one of the former European Warsaw pact states, even Georgia. Recreating Syria or Lebanon or Uzbekistan would be a tougher task, though. Many years ago I did a central Africa theater mod pack for CMSF. I'm still nostalgic for that old mod.<_<

me too, I wanted to do a Blackhawk down scenario.  I just don't want to invest that effort until CMSF2 is out.  . . . Someday. 

Thanks. I did think terrain in and around Syria would require a stretch of the imagination ... which I don't mind unless its become laughable. 

How difficult is it the mod the terrain to include arid - like textures with the underlying combat resolution effect code? I guess it if could be done relativity easily we would have tank combat in the arctic by now. I know ground combat in the ME US/Russia is a stretch too. My mind tend to wander at times.

Kevin 

• 2 weeks later...

CMSF2 reboot just seems like it would make no commercial sense as a standalone game. "What if" games get stale very fast.

You might get marginally more interest with a historical game covering OIF1/2 + Syria 2011-14.

As a terrain/force pack to reinvigorate CMBS in ~2016-17, following on a NATO module, a lot more sense. Although I have no idea how well the CMBN force pack sold....

CMSF2 reboot just seems like it would make no commercial sense as a standalone game. "What if" games get stale very fast.

You might get marginally more interest with a historical game covering OIF1/2 + Syria 2011-14.

As a terrain/force pack to reinvigorate CMBS in ~2016-17, following on a NATO module, a lot more sense. Although I have no idea how well the CMBN force pack sold....

Chin that off, a Combat Mission: Fulda Gap would certainly get my 50 quid.

The "Mid East" covers a lot of ground and terrain- so one could for example decide to have a confrontation in a mountainous area near the Syrian/Turkish border....

Ignore the background for now, still using TF Spartan Resolve mods.

Afghan%20004_zpsjw1uwodk.jpg

Edited by sburke

Some stuff could be harvested from CMSF and its mods. Mord has some excellent Syrian faces there. I grabbed one and spent ten minutes in Photoshop. Here is the dude in Blimey's Separatist kit in CMBS:

22341658441_c1a36ca20e_b.jpg

It looks like the faces are easy to adapt, but the uniforms aren't. I don't have CMSF, so I don't know about using those building textures.

Edited by Macisle

Flat rooftops with parapets seems like the key absent CMSF feature that can't be repped into CMBS via texture modding  (most postwar structures in Europe above 3 stories would have them).

Dust clouds too, fine, but also a signal feature of the summer Ukrainian steppe....

LLF look closely at the mountain village shot above, that is CMBS.  :D

Here is another.  The only thing we don't really have is mosque roofs, but one can work without that for most stuff.

Turkey%20006_zpsjr0kv6ux.jpg

Turkey%20001_zpsbtqcvcuh.jpg

Turkey%20005_zpswpkpvm7b.jpg

Afghan%20003_zpsehveargw.jpg

Turkey%20008_zps0vykmme3.jpg