Too much Foliage on Maps

Cpl Steiner

In retrospect it seemed inevitable that US and Russian troops would confront each other in Syria....

A US platoon patrol in the mountainous Turkish/Syrian border.

Just a map I am playing around with based on the discussion initiated by the OP.  It has a ways to go, but trying to come up with something that could be interesting.

Patrol%20001_zpszcdzxnti.jpg

Patrol%20002_zpspm86cibz.jpg

Patrol%20003_zpscah1ueoj.jpg

Dude!? You're walking on a TRAIL?!? Sheesh, why not just order them to frag themselves? ;)

Some woods can look VERY good. I always know that entering woods is like entering a building: if there's any enemy in there, my point man WILL die.

well they have this problem with getting lost and CM doesn't simulate breadcrumbs... BF fix or do sumfink!!!

That map looks nice. Thanks for having a go based on my post.

I think the key is something that was posted earlier in the thread about forests generally only being there because the land is unsuitable for farming and is therefore left to nature. That means undulating terrain, massive boulders, rocks, steep cliff-like slopes, deep ravines, etc. Of course there will also always be a place in maps for man-made "recreational" forests - such as city parks.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone agree that maps with lots of trees are horrible to play on?

I am wondering if maybe the three-tree tiles are just more dense than is found in nature, as when I look at photos of real forests they seem to be a lot less dense than a typical CM:BS forest map.

My rule when I edit a forested map to make it more playable is to never have any tile with a tree touch another tile with a tree in any direction. This really thins the forest out and makes it easier to add trees back when necessary to block a line of sight.