Windows 10 is Upon Us! Oh, Woe!

Thanks for the info. I wouldn't even consider chancing the upgrade except in recent month's I've been wanting to take my Windows 7, drag it into the back yard, shoot it between the eyes and bury it in an unmarked grave. And its a toss-up whether it's going to kill me first! :o

I have resisted upgrading OS ever since Vista which i had uploaded from XP. It was so bad I uninstalled it and went back to XP, I did finally relent when

windows 7 professional came out which I have been fairly satisfied with.  So i again resist upgrading to 10. THose of you that have it can you give a brief

review please? How is it better? Do you like it?  But only if you don't mind of course. 

Hi All,

Thought I'd add my experience. I use my computer for both business and personal. Needed to upgrade to Win 10 because the boss wanted to make sure all our software works in that environment. The computer is only a few months old. (Intel i7 -4790 CPU Quad 3.6GHz; 16 GB Ram; 64 Bit; AMD Radeon R9 200 and Intel HD Graphics 4600) The transition was smooth and easy. It looked like everything worked. I opened all three of my games (CMBN, CMFI, CMRT) which are up to date with everything. It looked great!

Then today I found a really weird thing. In CMFI I could not load any of my scenarios. I could see the scenario list, but not the PBEM game move that dropbox said was in the folder. And CM Helper kept telling me it had a move waiting, but couldn't do anything with it. I tried everything I could think of, even uninstalled and reinstalled CMFI and all it's patches, etc. Still nothing. Then I tried running it in ADMINISTER mode. EVERYTHING WORKED! I also had to shut down CM Helper and reopen it in administer mode.

Don't know if this was something that my computer configuration required, but if your having an issue opening things, try administer mode first.

Well Gentlebeings,

I have taken the plunge, some hours ago I upgraded to Win 10, and I'm relieved to say that the 4 horsemen seems to have gone back to the paddock. Everything CM works just fine (ok, I haven't tried the scenario editor yet, but apart from that).

Thank you for info and support, I hope those who choose to go down this path have an equally smooth ride.

Peace be to you all,

Derfel

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 two days ago with no issues. My two ongoing CMBN PBEM games have continued without a hitch. I don't have any other PBEMs at the moment, but CMFI, CMRT, and CMBS all start up with no errors.

I don't like the new web browser (Microsoft Edge), but Windows 10 also comes with IE 11 so I just use that.

Overall, a very easy, hassle free upgrade that took about an hour.

With the goal of updating my Windows 7 installation I attempted to download Windows 10 last week. Mission failure. The result has been, apparently, to corrupt Windows Update forever. Buyer beware.

If you have problems with Windows Update, try deleting all files in the following folder on your hard drive: C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

This will reset Windows Update, so when you run it again, it should redownload any waiting updates.

• 4 months later...

Updated from 8.1 to 10 yesterday.  No problems with CMx2 at all, except that I had to re-activate all of CMBN.

One note, though:  for a couple of hours after updating, Win 10 would only boot me into a Temporary Profile.  Later (maybe the fourth or fifth reboot, and after running Windows update a few times) it finished the process and booted me to my real ID.  Now all is well, and I'm liking the speed and layout of Win 10.  (All that unfamiliar business with the start menu is fully tweakable.)