Windows 10 is Upon Us! Oh, Woe!

Dear Fellow Beings,

As I write this I feel the walls closing in and clopping hoves of the four horsemen...

In a day or three I will migrate to the new Windows 10 OS and I have misgivings, so many misgivings, but it must be so, I just wanted to ask if any here can answer the following:

1. According to Microsoft I won't have to re-install any software (in this case the CM family of games and modules), I rather doubt this, anybody know if this is so?

2. If I DO decide to re-install is there any way to check how many (if any) reactivations I have left beforehand on my various games and modules? I own the lot so if I have to re-buy it will be rather costly.

3. The new installers that BF released a year ago, will they work with Win 10? Well I mind the insanely complicated procedures necessary for installing (and re-installing in particular) before them, I would rather not go thru that again...

Any and all info is greatly appriciated!

Regards,

Derfel

As I write this I feel the walls closing in and clopping hoves of the four horsemen...

LOL

In a day or three I will migrate to the new Windows 10 OS and I have misgivings, so many misgivings, but it must be so, I just wanted to ask if any here can answer the following:

Can you wait? I mean I guess I should be OK with you going first since my plan is to wait a while and see how it goes for others. :) Is there no way you can wait a few months?

1. According to Microsoft I won't have to re-install any software (in this case the CM family of games and modules), I rather doubt this, anybody know if this is so?

Hee, Hee famous last words. I am sure they are mostly correct they are updating their OS components and not re-imaging your machine. I strongly suspect it will work for the vast vast majority of programs. The sticky wicket might be DRM related.  Check out what @Schrullenhaft has to say: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120375-question-about-windows-10/#entry1623358

2. If I DO decide to re-install is there any way to check how many (if any) reactivations I have left beforehand on my various games and modules? I own the lot so if I have to re-buy it will be rather costly.

No but I would not worry about this - contact support if you need help.  I have never heard of anyone having to buy again. But seriously how much re-installing have you needed to do over the years?  You get four activations for each game and when you bought 3.0 upgrade that was a new key with a new four activations.

3. The new installers that BF released a year ago, will they work with Win 10? Well I mind the insanely complicated procedures necessary for installing (and re-installing in particular) before them, I would rather not go thru that again...

Sounds like @Schrullenhaft has tried it under Windows 10 during beta.

So far I haven't seen any reports that people have needed to reinstall their Combat Mission games, and my own tests have shown the same. The games should work right away. However, everyone's computers and situation are different, so I can't promise that will be the case for everyone.

If that happens you DO NOT have to rebuy anything. Just send a quick ticket to Helpdesk explaining what happened and they will help you out.

One very important consideration if you decide to upgrade to Windows 10:

Currently Microsoft Updates are automatic, and there is not a way for the User to disable installation of updates.  This was done by some genius at Microsoft in the name of security.

However, this may adversely affect Combat Mission users by automatically installing graphics driver updates.  As we all have seen, certain graphics drivers cause problems with Combat Mission games.  Therefore, if you are using an older graphics driver and things are working fine with CM, you may be in for a surprise when your driver is automatically updated.

One very important consideration if you decide to upgrade to Windows 10:

Currently Microsoft Updates are automatic, and there is not a way for the User to disable installation of updates.  This was done by some genius at Microsoft in the name of security.

However, this may adversely affect Combat Mission users by automatically installing graphics driver updates.  As we all have seen, certain graphics drivers cause problems with Combat Mission games.  Therefore, if you are using an older graphics driver and things are working fine with CM, you may be in for a surprise when your driver is automatically updated.

Didn't this only apply to the "Home" versions (the Enterprise and erm... the other one had to turn auto-updates on) Didn't they change this so you can opt out of it/have to opt into it (there was an understandable brouhaha from Home users about being guinea pigs)? Still, you'd be advised to make sure you are opted out, I imagine.

So far I haven't seen any reports that people have needed to reinstall their Combat Mission games, and my own tests have shown the same. The games should work right away. However, everyone's computers and situation are different, so I can't promise that will be the case for everyone.

Still encouraging to hear a few more people for whom it worked.  From yesterday I had herd of one person now we are up to what three and no failures.  Like you said no guarantee by any means but at least encouraging.

Oh great :(  I have to live like that on my work machine because of some genius at corporate.  I personally am very diligent about installing security updates but I like to do it on my own timing.  There have been several instances lately where I will have left work with a particular setup and arrangement ready to continue work the next day only to find my self starting at the start up screen when I get in the next day.  Drive me nuts when that happens.

Humm I cannot find that.  I found an article in forbes saying there was going to be no way to turn it off for home users.  I found multiple sites with a work around (turn off the update service: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10).

Sigh.  I get what they are trying to do but to leave no way for me to delay or control updates - man that is aggravating. I specifically do not want video driver updates unless I have checked on them and I never want my PC rebooted without my direct say so.  Two steps forward and one step back.  Unless Chris is right and I missed it I guess I'll live with the work around because I already know I cannot live with forced automatic updates.  Mind you I'm just going to ignore 10 for a while anyway.

Microsoft caused controversy when it suggested people using the Home version of its system would have to add new features as they became available.

Matters were not helped when it explicitly said businesses would be able to wait until "quality and application compatibility has been assessed in the consumer market".

That led some bloggers to accuse Microsoft of treating the public like "guinea pigs".

But on the eve of Windows 10's release, Microsoft told the BBC it had added an option to defer all Home Edition updates, security fixes aside.

From http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33637586near the end.

So it's only "MS telling the Beeb", but why would they lie? Still means security updates are mandatory, but honestly, that's probably only good for the world's Intertubes.

I come bearing ill tidings. Woe unto thee who harken unto... me. 

I ran the update last night. The *only* thing that didn't survive was my CMBN. All of the icons were deleted, and when I tried to launch the executable it actually popped up a message saying that it was unusable on Windows 10 Pro and that I should contact the manufacturer. 

I did a bit of troubleshooting and it looks like every hint of Battlefront has been wiped from my registry. 

I haven't tried to reinstall yet... I came here looking for the long ass post about the proper order to reinstall everything.

I'll let y'all know how that turns out.

Edited by gnorffy

I come bearing ill tidings. Woe unto thee who harken unto... me. 

I ran the update last night. The *only* thing that didn't survive was my CMBN. All of the icons were deleted, and when I tried to launch the executable it actually popped up a message saying that it was unusable on Windows 10 Pro and that I should contact the manufacturer. 

I did a bit of troubleshooting and it looks like every hint of Battlefront has been wiped from my registry. 

I haven't tried to reinstall yet... I came here looking for the long ass post about the proper order to reinstall everything.

I'll let y'all know how that turns out.

Strange. Did you have up to 3.11 installed?

gnorffy, you have the all in one installer fir cmbn which includes both modules, vehicle pack and all the patches. Then you have to activate your two modules and the VP and you are good to go. All in one installer can be downloaded under the link to your 3.0 engine purchase. No need to go through the old step by step installation hell.

I have updated without any issues, at least none that I have found yet. However, you might want to take a look at your privacy settings. There is a very good article about this here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/30/windows-10-privacy-settings/

Also, I would suggest that after you have upgraded (this will not work until you have done that), also make sure to create a bootable DVD or USB stick. Then you can use this when you need to make a completely new installation in the future (for when you replace your hard drive or get a new computer, for instance). If you do not have a bootable device like this available, you'll have to first reinstall the old Win 7/Win 8/8.1, and then upgrade to Win 10 again. Just follow the guide here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

People,

I am deeply grateful for the info above, have decided to push the migration forward a week or so (all that's possible due to the fact that my home computer is also occasionally used for work stuff) in order to see if there are more grains of wisdom to be had before the plunge.

IanL; I had to install, remove and re-install at least *nine* times before I got he whole shebang working after changing computers back in early '14. I left my youth, sanity and a good deal of bodily fluids on that particular battlefield...  The helpdesk wasn't very forthcoming either I think I'm still waiting for answers from them... luckily the forum was there for me so it all worked out. Just a few months later Bf released the installers...

Gnorffy; listen to Hister! Really. Those installers are, comparatively at least, a thing of beauty,  I was the one who took Hister's list (there's a movie in that sentence) and with a few additions published it on the main forum in order that others might keep their sanity when trying to re-install all the various games, modules and patches and I say to thee; 'Use the efffing installers!'

Also disturbing to hear that your Win 10 took exception to CM, hope it works out, very grateful if you let us know anything useful about why and how to avoid it.

Peace be unto you all and your ilk, if any,

Derfel

Edited by Derfel 2nd

There is a workaround where you uninstall the KBsomething update that provided the automatic upgrade to windows 10. Oh wait, I think you were referring to something else. sorry.

Edited by SLIM

I was able to reinstall without any issue. I had all the files already downloaded, so I just ran those one after the other (I don't mind clicking 'next').

IT seems that *something* was left behind in the OS, because the only thing that I re-activated was the 3.0 upgrade. I never had to reactivate CM, MG or the vehicle pack, but all of them are showing up as active and I have been able to launch missions from the various modules.

The only thing I can think of as to why it failed would be the fact that I had it installed on weird drive (F:\) Can't think of anything else. 

Reinstalling was a pretty painless fi though... the people who can't get the game running seem like they are up a different creek.

If you can, can you see what kind of a footprint 10 takes up on the HD compared to 7? if its significantly larger I'm blanked due to my already overstuffed HD. If its significantly more streamlined that means an upgrade will give me added elbow room.

Edited by MikeyD

@MikeyD, I installed Windows 10 on the same drive/partition as Windows 8.

I ended up with a Windows.old folder which shows as 17.4 GB / 17.2 GB (Size / Size on Disk) via Folder properties in Windows Explorer whereas the new Windows folder shows as 15.6 GB / 15.6 GB.  However, when I launch the Disk Cleanup utility it shows I can free up 19.3 GB by removing Previous Windows installation(s).

So my experience along with press and word on the street is pretty clear that Windows 10 has a smaller footprint relative to Windows 8, but I suppose everyone has a unique view as to how precious 1 GB is and the various other factors that will play into the upgrade decision.