Axis Battle Report - The Gamey SOB Challenge

I have found their frontal armor to be exceedingly resistant to the US 75mm, but I may have never used them against Sherms that had a big height advantage prior to this game.

@SLIM thanks for the movement tips.

Indeed, the glacis is pretty much impenetrable, but turret front can be defeated at close range and the sides of hull and turret are vulnerable to 75L/40 at even moderately long range. And the top armour is no better protection on the Panther, than it is on any tank of the period, against a full bore AP round. Unlike the Tiger, where the flanks need near point-blank hits from short 75s.

There ya go Ken for manual writer :)

Oh I can see it now:

Chapter 1 - "Thinking About Attacking"

Chapter 2 - "Attacking"

Chapter 3 - "How to Attack After Attacking"

Chapter 4 - "Defending Counterattacking"

Chapter 5 - "If Your Attack Fails... A Hypothetical Argument"

Chapter 6 - "Submachine Guns in the Attack"

Chapter 7 - "Killing Your Enemies... or How to Attack Without Moving"

Chapter 8 - "Fratricide, a Tool for Victory!"

Oh I can see it now:

Chapter 1 - "Thinking About Attacking"

Chapter 2 - "Attacking"

Chapter 3 - "How to Attack After Attacking"

Chapter 4 - "Defending Counterattacking"

Chapter 5 - "If Your Attack Fails... A Hypothetical Argument"

Chapter 6 - "Submachine Guns in the Attack"

Chapter 7 - "Killing Your Enemies... or How to Attack Without Moving"

Chapter 8 - "Fratricide, a Tool for Victory!"

Slim, you made me choke on my drink! A literal LOL. Thanks.

We have to be very careful what we say in this thread as I do not want to help you with what I know, so the new thread allows those watching to discuss and bet on the outcome without hurting either side...

How many sleeps before the next turn...

Bil is back. Yay! Now we can continue.

meat%20grinder%202.png

I'm not much of a talker...so, once again, I'll let this video speak for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98vR-yxJ3ZA&feature=youtu.be

You may notice a penetrating hit on one of Bil's Sherms early on. Being the gamey bastard that I am, I know that the Sherm wasn't KO'd. How do I know this? Let's take a look at "Bil's Hill" from his side of the map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-po1_dcQIs

I'm going to leave it at this for the time being. Let's let Bil stew in his own soup a bit while he awaits my next move.

The Sherman: well, depending on what that hit text stated, you may have degraded something on/in it.

The truck: oh, I dream of targets like that! Imagine the red crosses had that round hit! Unloading takes time...I'm willing to bet the truck will still be in LOS at the start of the next turn.

(In a pbem game, my air support got some of my oppo's trucks, as did some 2km+ shots. THAT was satisfying. Because once the infantry gets ensconced in good terrain, it's a pita to dig them out. Far easier to kill a squad or more while they ride in a truck.)

You may notice a penetrating hit on one of Bil's Sherms early on. Being the gamey bastard that I am, I know that the Sherm wasn't KO'd. How do I know this? Let's take a look at "Bil's Hill" from his side of the map:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-po1_dcQIs

Ah, I don't follow.  How can you be sure that Sherman is not KO'ed from that clip?  I see plenty of enemy vehicles icons stay normal for quite a long time and continuing to move after a hit is not an indication - I have seen that many times too.  Did I miss something else?

Note: I have not read anything in Bil's thread yet so I have no idea what the condition of that Sherman is and I will make no further comment after I do read his thread so as to not inadvertently give anything away.

@c3k Yep I said wordy dirds when the tree blocked the Panther's shot at that truck. I really didn't expect Bill to try to rush a truck full of troops down that road, but I'm glad he did. Yea, I'm really hoping that Panther gets another shot at the beginning of next turn. If not, the other Panther should have LoS once the truck gets a bit further down the road, assuming Bil keeps charging forward. I had both tanks open up in order to maximize their ability to see the enemy.

@IanL His Sherm starts popping smoke and continues to pop smoke and reverse after the penetrating hit. I can tell this by hovering the camera at the Sherm's location (gamey).

Moving on, I just gave my orders and sent Bil the next file. I'm continuing with my plan to send one company to take each VL, and trying to make good use of the tree cover. This would be a completely different battle without the trees. I'm sort of regretting buying the extra HMGs already. I don't believe there are very many locations that would provide them with good overwatch. Time will tell.  

This terrain is very rough. It doesn't take long at all for a unit to reach "tiring" status when given a Quick command, so I'm using a combination of Quick and Move to move them forward. I'm sending my Scout and Sniper teams forward and they should reach the VLs in a turn or two.

I'll point out again that this map doesn't allow much in the way of maneuver. I predict this will be short and bloody.

Edited by Doug Williams

Hmmm wondering why the tanks are opening up now? Why not at the start?

Good question. It's because I was expecting Bil to have at least one Sherm or TD on overwatch on turn 1 and I don't like losing tank commanders. Turns out I was right and my Panthers took a couple of early hits, which glanced off. Now that his Sherm has popped smoke and reversed out of sight, I'm opening them up so they can see better. I'm really hoping Bil gives me another shot at that truck full of troops. Perhaps I'll find out after work today.

Just sent Bil the next file. Since I started the game, Bil's PC is the one that computes the results, but I get to see the results first.

Not a great deal happened this turn. My left Panther lost sight of Bil's great big juicy truck full of troops in the first few seconds of the turn, but not before killing at least one of the loaded troops with machine gun fire. I bet I never see that truck again. My troops are advancing forward toward the VLs. I have a scout team at the outskirts of the VL on my right flank. I have a sound contact on just the other side of the VL, so some lead may be flying there soon. I'm quicktiming a squad up to support the scout team.

Despite Bil's truck, I believe I'm going to reach the VL's first, though I don't plan to fill them with troops, as that just makes them real nice targets for arty pounding.

At this point, it's just playing it by ear.

Which way did the truck go? Backwards I presume?

Actually, no. Let me show you a video of the first few seconds of the turn with the camera hovering right behind Bil's truck. As you can see, the Panther's machine gun fire killed one of the loaded troops. If you'll notice, the red cross continues to track along the road. This leads to the inescapable conclusion that the truck is continuing down the road. There really isn't much more it can do, given the terrain, other than reverse. If I were Bil, I would unload that truck post haste. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P57rfka_TPQ

This is a rather gamey thing to do, by the way. ;-)