Allied AAR: The Road to Eindhoven (CMPzC)

Gentlemen!

Our friends in the Dutch underground have come to warn us of an impending Jerry assault in Dommelen.

Turn%203B%20Axis%20Assault_zpstvjs9vm2.p

Please select a battle commander! The battle will be 50 minutes long. Starting at around 1100 and going to around 1150.

If your CO Nathangun even authorizes a withdrawal, it can begin only when the clock says 1115. Some logistic units in the rear must be re-positioned first or we'll have a bloody disaster!

We will push forward an ATG unit as soon as possible...!

The Brigadier has been on the phone with the RAF and the tiffies will go full bollocks to arrive within the hour!

It is your call to have that weakened company come up from near the bridge...as reinforcements. Just tell us when it should arrive on map's edge. T=x minutes into the battle...

Good luck lads!

• 2 weeks later...

Chappy has been assigned as the allied battle commander!

On map at the start..<oh, and a great big beasty of a map she'll be lads! 2128m wide by  3600m height....!>

2/3 IG at 80% strength with an FO and 2x81mm mortars.

You will have the previous axis foxholes and the best duplication of craters I can manage.

...and maybe some scrapings that the soldiers managed to make.

1/2/2 IG 5 vehicles incl 1 Firefly

1/3/2 IG 4 vehicles incl 1 Firefly

Firesupport from offmap 25 pounders, 2 units of 2 guns each.

Reinforcements:

1/3 IG at only 51 men with an FO, way down at the south edge arriving in vehicles at T=5-10.

A 6 pounder ATG unit (4 guns) way down at the south edge arriving in vehicles at T=10-20.

1 Sherman with Major Morningwood way down at the south edge arriving T=15-20.

Typhoon(s) arriving at an unknown time late in the battle. White knuckle excitement!

The battle is 60 long with 5 minutes variable time.

We await mjkerner returning from a roadtrip and his final decision to assault or not. Standby!

Somebody asked about spacing of Holland houses...

I am not proclaiming it is 100% perfect historically accurate map but I did some quick googling and it seems not too far off based on below.

Neth-flood45_zpsil9swaer.jpg

Walcheren1946_zpsiretwbex.jpg

That was me asking about house spacing :) I see that the map was quite close to reality, might have been lacking a bit of bushes and other stuff though, I think.

The second pic looks like it could be made into a very interesting scenario.

Alright everybody, Chappy is gonna be commanding a very challenging battle here in a bit. It should be a real corker!

+++++++++++++++++++

Major Morningwood has already arrived from 2 Irish Guards Battalion HQ to stiffen up the lads! He is a leader unit. All the tank crews get upgraded +1 for morale and the HQ tanks get a +1 for leadership. Having your boss nearby tends to crank up the attentiveness they say. BUT on the downside, heaven help them all later if he eats an 88 in this battle! They will suffer a backslide from normal in morale and leadership! Things could get very flaccid! <...if I can squeeze one more ounce of attempted humor from that whole motif!>

++++++++++++++++++

The PBI better tuck and roll. The battered 1st Company is headed up from a short rest back at the bridge. Capt Chappy was sent forward as the onscene commander.

He passed the 1/3IG baton to Capt O'Leary. They have scrounged transport and are getting embarked for the shuttle up to the line.

++++++++++++++++++

The 6 pounder ATG's had thought this battle an offensive one and had relaxed back for a brew up and maybe some sunshine. Not so said the Divisional Ops Boss. They are now cinching down their chin straps and ready to roll forward on Hell's Highway. 

++++++++++++++++++++++

The action will start in more or less the exact positions left as Ian finished his battle. The radio chatter passed the coded warning that an axis counter-attack was forthcoming. Chappy arrives to get things organized for immediate defensive action. I fear I shafted him by doing this but it is much more exciting versus some casual defensive set up of a normal scenario.

WELCOME TO CMPzC OPERATIONAL LEVEL WARFARE!

images%202_zpscafv0zql.jpg