Allied AAR: The Road to Eindhoven (CMPzC)

OK Chappy I am just about ready to send you the saved file in the set up mode for you to slightly adjust your units that are on map.

I wanted to go over a few things with you and give you a chance to ask any questions so we avoid any snags or goof ups to spoil the fun.

Your set-up zone is along that road south-west of the bridge. Both bridges are destroyed. The Dommel River has shallow fords and deep fords.

The banks of the Dommel have not been layed in concrete like the boat ramp at a marina. This is Holland and it is soggy. Bogging can occur.

On map at start 4 tanks, 1 infantry platoon. pioneer section, sniper team, 2 bren carriers: 1 with Scout section HQ with radio, and 1 with an 81mm mortar team that also has a radio. Deploy it and use it as preplanned if you desire.

Inf Platoon HQ also has a radio. 

At 5 minutes you get another infantry platoon. bren scouts. carrier plt hq. pioneer plt hq.  and 3 tanks and a bren with another 81mm mortar. And the Rifle Coy HQ. I named him CAPT Chappy. Try not to let him get killed. :D

At 10 minutes you get your final infantry  platoon and 3 more tanks. and your 2IC. bren scout team. mortar plt hq.

Mortar rule!

The CMPzC rules say you can only use area fire circle with maximum of a 39 meter diameter for 1 mortar. Got it? No giant circles that fill the entire map! This is just to keep artillery from becoming too out of proportion.

The rule will be to your advantage when you are on the incoming end!

Please use your universal allied team password. 

You have 50 minutes so take your time. I hope you have fun and good luck. Any questions?

Lost%20Eagles%20Allies_zpsi9ytxjux.jpg

CMPzC The Road to Eindhoven Mini-Battle 1 (ALLIED BRIEFING): 18.9.1944, 0810. About 3 km east of Valkenswaard, Holland. Weather: warm, gentle wind from the south.

^

Your mission WAS to parachute into Nazi-occupied Holland, liberate the Dutch people and end the war by Christmas. But German FlaK riddled your C-47 transport and you barely escaped with your life. Now on the ground….you look around to ask the usual questions…Where the fu@k am I? What the fu@k should I do now?

^

You are US Army Lieutenant Buck Compton of Easy Company, 506th.

^

This is Holland…right? Or it could be Germany or even Belgium! Best to assume we are behind the lines and surrounded by numerically superior enemy forces. SOP SNAFU!

^

Plan:  Your 3 plane “V” of C-47’s took heavy Flak as it banked over Eindhoven. One plane disintegrated immediately….all men lost. One was shredded badly and although the wounded paratroopers did their best to exit the plane, they were all dead when they landed on Dutch soil. Your aircraft was hit around mid-fuselage. Some troopers at the end of the stick by the cockpit were killed instantly. Some other troopers further along served as shields for the shrapnel and that was the saving grace to get you and a handful of others out the door.

^

Primary Objectives: Get organized! Recover any available weapons and ammo. Form a perimeter and defend your DZ. Then find the war and get back into it…

This battle will feature the exclusive forum debut of juju's new "drop zone" mods package...stay tuned for details.

Edited by kohlenklau

Lost%20Eagles%20Allies_zpsi9ytxjux.jpg

CMPzC The Road to Eindhoven Mini-Battle 1 (ALLIED BRIEFING): 18.9.1944, 0810. About 3 km east of Valkenswaard, Holland. Weather: warm, gentle wind from the south.

^

Your mission WAS to parachute into Nazi-occupied Holland, liberate the Dutch people and end the war by Christmas. But German FlaK riddled your C-47 transport and you barely escaped with your life. Now on the ground….you look around to ask the usual questions…Where the fu@k am I? What the fu@k should I do now?

^

You are US Army Lieutenant Buck Compton of Easy Company, 506th.

^

This is Holland…right? Or it could be Germany or even Belgium! Best to assume we are behind the lines and surrounded by numerically superior enemy forces. SOP SNAFU!

^

Plan:  Your 3 plane “V” of C-47’s took heavy Flak as it banked over Eindhoven. One plane disintegrated immediately….all men lost. One was shredded badly and although the wounded paratroopers did their best to exit the plane, they were all dead when they landed on Dutch soil. Your aircraft was hit around mid-fuselage. Some troopers at the end of the stick by the cockpit were killed instantly. Some other troopers further along served as shields for the shrapnel and that was the saving grace to get you and a handful of others out the door.

^

Primary Objectives: Get organized! Recover any available weapons and ammo. Form a perimeter and defend your DZ. Then find the war and get back into it…

This battle will feature the exclusive forum debut of juju's new "drop zone" mods package...stay tuned for details.

I'll take it if no-one will :)

Nathangun,

Do you foresee an end-run to the right flank if things are too tough in the center or will you batter your way in directly?

Heinrich505

Sorry for the late reply Heinrich, I've been working overtime the last 13 days.

I foresee it has a possibility, but I'd like to keep the option open and more importantly, to keep the Axis commanders thinking it's a possibility and hold a few units on the right flank.

Edited by nathangun

Howdy folks: I have something very special cooked up to serve for you tonight. It is my pleasure to bring you another one of those odd-ball scenarios of mine, "Lost Eagles".

But first some musical entertainment! The allied team got together to practice for several nights and then I had the video camera handy so here they are...

Edited by kohlenklau

I think NathanGun will do a video AAR or at least he said he has some film clips. That sounds fantastic to me! He will either do the AAR in Ian's thread after that Bridge battle or start a new thread. We got more threads than a tailor.

(Oh boy, who writes my jokes? :D)

Here are the latest revisions to the Allies briefs for the Lost Eagles minibattle...

CMPzC The Road to Eindhoven Mini-Battle 1 (ALLIED BRIEFING): 18.9.1944, 0853. About 3 km east of Valkenswaard, Holland. Weather: warm, gentle wind from the south.

^

^

You are US Army Lieutenant Buck Dunning of Easy Company, 506th.

^

^

^

SUPPLEMENTAL ALLIED BRIEFING FOR CMPZC EINDHOVEN MINI BATTLE 1 "LOST EAGLES"

It is 0853, you are Lieutenant "Buck" Dunning of the 506th PIR. As described previously, your "V" of C-47's was bracketed by heavy FlaK as it approached Eindhoven....

SGT Guarnere: "BUCK!!....BUCK!!..."

You unbuckle your parachute harness and see Sgt Guarnere making the hand motion for rapid movement EAST off of your DZ as he runs towards you in a low crouched posture.

SGT Guarnere: <slightly out of breath> "Lieutenant Dunning..as I wuz coming down...I saw German troops on the road to the west...and some of our boys over....in that field to the east of us....I recommend...sir...that we skedaddle outta here!"

BUCK: "I am in full agreement SGT Guarnere!"

^
Proceed off of DZ Green and move to DZ Red. Check around the discarded parachutes (mod by juju) for injured troopers, render aid and recover any available items.
There may also be a drop cannister in the area...
^
To simulate the more lengthy rendering of first aid to troopers, set-up in the "aid station" house and at 0915 a "walking wounded" paratrooper will arrive there signifying he is splinted/bandaged and ready to move off the battlefield. 

Another trooper who came down in a separate area will arrive at the east map edge at 0915-0920 to point the way out. Carefully read his instructions and reload the turn if necessary to see what he says.

Exit the map by 0920-0925. <5 minute variable time, it will be a close call...>
Edited by kohlenklau

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Koh, are you here?

Now that I have my entire force on the map, I have a couple of constructive points, if I may:

1. Force composition - both the Carrier Pl HQ and Mortar Pl HQ are on foot while their assets are gleefully streaking ahead of them in vehicles...and probably laughing at their commanders as they trudge along with the poor bloody infantry platoons.  :)  I recommend that in future these two HQs be in either bren or universal carriers (or even jeeps for that matter)

2. Force deployment - Firstly, I like the 5 minute spacing between reinforcements in this battle. The only problem is that both groups of infantry reinforcements appear onboard knee deep in swamps.  Then it takes them a good 1-2 minutes to get out of the swamp and onto the road where they should probably be in the first place. 

Just some thoughts for future considerations. 

Although there is no contact yet, I am enjoying the guessing game, as well as the tactical considerations here. Interesting terrain as well. Hopefully those fords don't bog me down!

Thanks!