Precision artillery strike. How to call it in?

Alexey K

Playing Russians. I have off-map howitzers with Krasnopol rounds. 

My Forward Observers are equipped with laser designators.

I'am calling in fire mission, selecting vehicle as target, but there is no option to select precision strike as type of mission or used munition.

I am not sure that his is a capabity the Russians have. Perhaps the best you can do is a Point Target. But I could be wrong about this - I have not played Russians much yet.

I am not sure that his is a capabity the Russians have. Perhaps the best you can do is a Point Target. But I could be wrong about this - I have not played Russians much yet.

They have :)

It is strange, but when I've targeted another vehicle "precision" mission type appeared in list of artillery mission types.

I'am calling in fire mission, selecting vehicle as target, but there is no option to select precision strike as type of mission or used munition.

Can you post a save?

Maybe BF decided that Russian munitions are less accurate han US. I really don't know the answer to this one. But I would be interested in knowing more about Russian capabilities in this area as log as it is from open source material for obvious reasons. Of course, it could be that BF are just wrong as you suggest and this capability should be added/ But I don't work for BF so not my decision  :D  

Maybe BF decided that Russian munitions are less accurate han US. I really don't know the answer to this one. But I would be interested in knowing more about Russian capabilities in this area as log as it is from open source material for obvious reasons. Of course, it could be that BF are just wrong as you suggest and this capability should be added/ But I don't work for BF so not my decision  :D  

CMBS actually has precision munitions for Russian artillery. At least Krasnopol laser guided 152mm howitzer round is present in game and I've managed to call precision strike (finally).

IRL: Soviet Union and Russia has developed series of guided munitions for howitzers and mortars: "Santimeter", "Smyelchak", "Krasnopol". 

AFAIK, all are laser-guided. 

It's in the manual. USA use GPS guidance thus a designator is not required.

If you have precision artillery available your FO should be able to call it in if they have LOS to target. Even 120mm mortar with 'near precision' is still a vehicle killer.

Perhaps you didn't quite have required LOS?

They have :)

It is strange, but when I've targeted another vehicle "precision" mission type appeared in list of artillery mission types.

The specific man with the laser designator didn't have line-of-sight at the moment you called the mission in, even if the overall team did. It is annoying that they don't handle their micro-positioning in such a way to gain LOS in those cases, since someone in their team obviously can see the vehicle, but the man with the capital system will just cheerfully keep his head down in the grass and stare at a stone wall instead.

Edited by Apocal

The specific man with the laser designator didn't have line-of-sight at the moment you called the mission in, even if the overall team did. It is annoying that they don't handle their micro-positioning in such a way to gain LOS in those cases, since someone in their team obviously can see the vehicle, but the man with the capital system will just cheerfully keep his head down in the grass and stare at a stone wall instead.

Similarly if you have a crewed weapons or that one guy in the squad with the AT weapon, Murphy's Law results in them never having the LOS you need to the target.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between using Precision Artillery with spotters with direct LOS as opposed to drones over target in regards to overall accuracy of the round?

I might have been unlucky but experience so far has been that targeting with the drone seems to result in far more near misses than when using a spotter with good LOS...

To use precision munitions, first select "point target."  Then, select your target.  Next, you will be asked to select the number of tubes to employ.  That will determine the number of precision rounds used (up to one precision round per tube, assuming you have precision rounds available).  Next, the menu presented will ask if you wish for "emergency," "heavy," "medium," "light," or "harass" fires, or "precision" or "smoke."  Select "precision."  The remaining menus are the same as usual.

The trick is to select "point target" and to remember that the choice to use precision munitions is only presented in a later menu.

If you are not eventually given the choice to use precisions rounds, but have a laser designator, and have line-of-sight to your target, and your off-map asset has precision munitions available, then I'm not sure what the problem might be.

I hope this helps.

Does anyone know if there are any differences between using Precision Artillery with spotters with direct LOS as opposed to drones over target in regards to overall accuracy of the round?

I might have been unlucky but experience so far has been that targeting with the drone seems to result in far more near misses than when using a spotter with good LOS...

I find artillery missions guided by drone observations to be less precise.

First of all, I noticed that the FO needs sometimes a dozen of spotting rounds (happened a couple of times).

After that, FFE normally ends up near, but not really on the chosen target. I may have been unlucky so far, but that's what I have got.

I may add that russian artillery seems to have much more trouble in this exercise than american (didn't try ukr), maybe too much (I'd be guessing that in 2017, even ISIS can place accurate mortar/howitzer fire, having a FO with LOS on the target)

Edited by whitehot78

I'm having a similar problem. 

Mission: First Contact (Russian campaign)

The briefing warns, that Americans use an electronic warfare attack. 

Is this why precision rounds do not work? 

The forward observer team is fit and healthy, has laser equipment and a clear los. 2S19M2 has 9 Krasnopol rounds.

When I try to call in an artillery strike, the precision option is missing.  

post-56250-0-62063200-1423995373_thumb.j

post-56250-0-00900800-1423995377_thumb.j

I'm having a similar problem. 

Mission: First Contact (Russian campaign)

The briefing warns, that Americans use an electronic warfare attack. 

Is this why precision rounds do not work? 

The forward observer team is fit and healthy, has laser equipment and a clear los. 2S19M2 has 9 Krasnopol rounds.

When I try to call in an artillery strike, the precision option is missing.  

Probably.

The Russian system requires a LOT of coordination between the firing unit and the spotting unit. That coordination is accomplished via electronic links and communications.

(Spotter needs to be within 15 degrees of the line of flight of the projectile. The shooters need to be specially trained. Spotter calls it, shooters shoot it. A signal is sent. When the round is ~15 seconds out (maybe 30? doing this from memory), an indicator on the designator box tells the spotter to actively lase the target. The round should capture the lase, then follow it in. Encoded laser means the codes need to be shared prior to the shoot. There is a LOT going on to get a laser guided round onto a target in a combat environment. EW would mess up any one of the steps. Supposedly, Russian manuals call for 3x rounds to assure hitting a tank. All the prior from memory, so don't put money on it.)

Ken

I tried calling it in for the first time last night in a QB. I was just not having any luck with it.

I had four rounds miss a perfectly stationary Bradley on two separate fire missions. Thus ruining any chance for me to meaningfully contest the main objective....Thus rage quitting :P

I really hope that was just a case of very bad luck or an exceptionally incompetent FO as it really shouldn't be that difficult. The Russians have been experimenting with guided munitions since Soviet times Grrr.

I've just shot Krasnopol against Stryker. Round has merely scratched foilage and exploded midair  :o

Is this realistic? I doubt 152mm round whould detonate unless it hit shaft of the tree.

It's not outside the realm of possibility. For the longest time the US artillery had a contact fuze that would go off in heavy rain or hail! A thick enough branch would be more then enough. 

As for precision artillery missing the target - what we have simulated in game is vastly simpler and faster then using it in the real world. It's not as simple as an FO whipping out his equipment and pulling a 10 digit grid on the fly. The process required to get an Excalibur's 6m bubble of CEP on an actual target is not a simple one. And laser guided rounds are no different, considering heavy, low cloud cover could ruin your fire mission! You certainly won't be using it on tactical level targets in a high intensity situation, as we do in game. But that's ok, it's only a game and we play to have fun, not curse out the FDC for taking too long.

Edited by SeinfeldRules

Playing Russia campaign 2 if found that the FO has to have line of sight to the target to get the precision mortar rounds to show up on the artillery pull-down.  What had me going was that all my scouts have laser designation and I figured one of them could lase the target, but not so.  

What I did was use the drone to find things, then VERY carefully sneak the FO in.  The tension can be pretty high as if my FO gets splattered all my artillery let alone the UAV are gone.

Do a target line from the FO to the target, you can tell if it's the UAV that sees it or the FO himself.  If the FO sees it you can laser it and call in the rain of fire.  If not, sneak the FO some more and hope.

Wow, that's funny fact  :) 

It's a common problem.  Russian HE-Frag does it too.

It makes sense though, you're fusing something that has to instantaneously decide if it it's hit something or not.  If you want it exploding hitting mud and doing casualties, vs exploding 7 inches under the mud, you have to make some compromises.  Most fuses can have the settings dialed down or otherwise adjusted to prevent hail induced detonations or something.