Unit shared morale propagates too quickly

Pelican Pal

Whoo scenario testing.

So I've been testing a scenario and that has let me run through the same situation a number of times. I've noticed that it seems like the Platoon shared morale changes almost instantly when something bad happens.

So what I've been testing.

A Stryker platoon with an attached BTR-70, and an M113 mortar track,

When a Stryker full of men is catastrophically destroyed with all hands lost the entire platoon almost instantly goes to rattled. When a second Stryker is then destroyed a number of the vehicles will become panicked and I will lose control of them as they run for cover.

Now that seems to make sense, except that this occurs almost the instant the losses happen and the platoon is split into two section that are about 550 - 600 meters apart. Even with the fancy equipment the Stryker infantry have on board I feel like they wouldn't instantly know that these losses have occurred. It would either require a long period of no contact, visual ID of the losses, or a report by another friendly unit. More importantly the BTR-70 crew will also become panicked (and will do so with more certainty as they are of lower quality than the Americans). This is a vehicle of 1970s vintage with just a radio on board. They shouldn't have instant knowledge of losses that occur half a kilometer away.

I've also noticed a similar occurrence with heavy weapons teams that are attached to larger elements. The weapons team will be deployed safely in an overwatch position, not taking any fire at all, and they will begin cowering if the a large portion of their platoon is taking heavy fire (not necessarily heavy losses, just lots of suppression with occasional KIA). Even if that parent element is 100-200 meters or more away.

So it seems like the shared morale propagates almost instantly when it should be restricted to the same information sharing system that handles shared spotting information.

It could be one of those things that BFC regards as working "well enough" to leave on the back burner while they address more urgent issues. If what Thewood1 says about this having been around for 15 years is true, they might have even forgotten that it is even an issue.

Michael

Edited by Michael Emrys

Lets recall that object mounted on the Stryker hull front is a camera. Theoretically everyone is linked to everyone else. Information and images propagate almost immediately. Watching your mates die up ahead of you on your monitor like some personal snuff film has got to be unnerving.

Edited by MikeyD

This type of event is what undermined Einstein's specific theory of relativity. You may know it as "spooky physics". ;)

Known issue.

Don't know what they're worried about... just a little quantum entanglement going on -- distance is irrelevant.

Before that Stryker gets destroyed, everybody in the platoon is scared/nervous. When that first Stryker goes boom, there's suddenly a bunch fewer guys in the platoon to spread that fear across, so all the remaining platoon members pick up a the portion of the fear that can no longer be felt by the deceased.

Second Stryker goes boom, well, everyone left alive, their fear just trebled from its initial point.

Simple physics.    :D

Some units can, and do, (in game) become "fanatic" when something like this happens. Other men run or hide.

Yeah, and you know the old saying, "Cowards die a thousand deaths, brave men die but once." I just had an example of that. A Humvee is motoring along when it spots a Russian tank. Now if he had continued on the path I had planned for him, he would have soon been behind a big cloud of smoke and some other blocking objects. But what does he do? This loser panics, hits the brakes and reverses. Then he sits there. And sits there. Giving the gunner in the tank ample time to get the aim exactly right. He doesn't miss either. So the Humvee, its crew and passengers all died a horrible and unnecessary death. Cést la guerre.

Michael

I think there is a basic assumption built into the model that platoon elements will be operating in relatively close proximity, and will therefore be quickly aware that their bunkhouse mates are getting horribly slaughtered. Sometimes we stretch that model beyond its design parameters. Hopefully, BFC will revise those assumptions as time goes on and they have time to refine the model.

Morale is a funny old thing. As Womble says, if something bad happens (Unit B sees Unit A beig gunned down) or maybe even just pinned down that would be "somewhat worrying for Uit A. Much of course is going to depend on how well trained and motivated the units in question are. Green troops with poor morale should be likely to break or surrender far more quickly than highly motivated, well trained regulars. And of course combay weary veterans who havve just seen too much  might well be more inclnred t go to ground.

While not perfect the morale system seems to get it more or less right. That does ot mean it could do with a little fine tuning :D

Yeah, and you know the old saying, "Cowards die a thousand deaths, brave men die but once." I just had an example of that. A Humvee is motoring along when it spots a Russian tank. Now if he had continued on the path I had planned for him, he would have soon been behind a big cloud of smoke and some other blocking objects. But what does he do? This loser panics, hits the brakes and reverses. Then he sits there. And sits there. Giving the gunner in the tank ample time to get the aim exactly right. He doesn't miss either. So the Humvee, its crew and passengers all died a horrible and unnecessary death. Cést la guerre.

Michael

What really happened: driver panicked and reversed. Vehicle commander, next to him, screamed at him for not going forward. Driver, flustered, lost control of fine motor skills and, in trying to suddenky change directions, stalled the engine.

Now, they must sit there as the vehicle performs its built in pre- and post-start checks. Once the crew resolves their issues, it will drive off.

Or die.