Kill the Commanders to win huge bonuses!

That doesn't mean subordinates won't, I assumed. Alot of times I've put squads to +1, +2, and will see a Private take over when casaulties pile up that has -2 leadership. I know leadership isn't universal, quite naturally, but does that extend to motivation? If motivation is attributed to individuals in a crew or squad, then that could explain it. My (rather uneducated) guess.

Edited by Rinaldi

That doesn't mean subordinates won't, I assumed. Alot of times I've put squads to +1, +2, and will see a Private take over when casaulties pile up that has -2 leadership. I know leadership isn't universal, quite naturally, but does that extend to motivation? If motivation is attributed to individuals in a crew or squad, then that could explain it. My (rather uneducated) guess.

AIUI, every pTruppe has his own soft factors. The element's rating is an average (for Experience, current Fatigue and Morale) or the leader's (Leadership). Looks like that TC was a cowardy custard, while the rest of his crew are a bit more determined than average, on average.

The circled modifier in your image is their MORALE state. They are +1 Rattled. That means they are MORE rattled than just rattled. Somewhere, someone posted a cool flow chart showing morale state progression.

Rattled is worse than nervous, I think. In fact, rattled isn't good.

It looks good to me.

Are you sure about that? As far as I know, that +1 is their motivation, which means they will recover from rattled state faster.

I think you're right and Ken's had a bit of a senior moment, there. ;)

OK

Cautious

Nervous

Rattled

Shaken

Panic

(Broken)

Shaken and Panic can rally to Rattled, but can also become Broken when they recover from being out of control. Depends on what, precisely, happened them.

I'm not concerned about the morale state progression here, just wondering if +1 is a good thing or a bad thing and what it signifies. If, as Doug's query hints at, one cannot improve morale state, then it would appear the number is not indicative of anything. As I suspect nothing in this game is irrelevant, it has to mean something else, I'd guess?

Edit: Captn Hawkeye indicated one can recover from Rattled. So does the +1 indicate an increase in the chances of doing so?

Edited by Bud_B

I'm not concerned about the morale state progression here, just wondering if +1 is a good thing or a bad thing and what it signifies. If, as Doug's query hints at, one cannot improve morale state, then it would appear the number is not indicative of anything. As I suspect nothing in this game is irrelevant, it has to mean something else, I'd guess?

Edit: Captn Hawkeye indicated one can recover from Rattled. So does the +1 indicate an increase in the chances of doing so?

Yep. Higher Motivation will mean faster morale recovery, as well as the ability to continue functioning under greater pressure. Getting out of Rattled takes, as Hawkeye said, leaders and motivation, and I'll add time without negative experiences to that equation. Rattled -> Nervous takes a long time. Nervous -> OK much less. At least that's my overall impression, not having done any specific testing.

Given that your tank is still functioning, the +1 will affect its resistance to becoming a "morale casualty" in future turns. Far from irrelevant! :)

Yes, the +1, as I understand it, indicates a higher level of motivation. Eg. if you select Fanatic for your troops, they will have a +2 in that field.

The modifier never changes ( without someone dying ), even as their state changes to Rattled etc.

Clearly they loved their Commander and killing him made them angry. You shouldn't have made them angry ! :lol:

Yep. Higher Motivation will mean faster morale recovery, as well as the ability to continue functioning under greater pressure. Getting out of Rattled takes, as Hawkeye said, leaders and motivation, and I'll add time without negative experiences to that equation. Rattled -> Nervous takes a long time. Nervous -> OK much less. At least that's my overall impression, not having done any specific testing.Given that your tank is still functioning, the +1 will affect its resistance to becoming a "morale casualty" in future turns. Far from irrelevant! :)

Oh, as I said, I doubted anything in the game is irrelevant! :)

So as you understand it, the number will affect BOTH chances of recovery to a less detrimental morale state, AND the unit's resistance to worsening morale states?

Clearly they loved their Commander and killing him made them angry. You shouldn't have made them angry ! :lol:

Remember the episode in The Simpsons where Mr Burns is making fun of a bunch of German businessmen? "Ooo, the Germans are mad at me!! Ooo"

I think with that tank of mine the Germans would be saying, "oooo the Americans are mad at us! Ooo!"

:D

Oh, as I said, I doubted anything in the game is irrelevant! :)

And you were, I believe, correct!

So as you understand it, the number will affect BOTH chances of recovery to a less detrimental morale state, AND the unit's resistance to worsening morale states?

That is, indeed, my understanding.

In some cases killing an incompetent commander can be met with his far more competent XO or Asst being promoted to command. I'm pretty sure I lost at least one scenario in CMFI because a poor American battalion commander was replaced with his far more qualified XO after he died in a rocket barrage. The troops didn't break as quickly, fought harder, and forced me to a Cease Fire earlier than I hoped. It doesn't happen often, and breaking C2 links is still a huge priority, but ya know as they say, anything can happen.